Frog Princess found & renamed!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

OMG :o :o Lots of new footage!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

The Princess and the Frog

Post by Disney Duster »

The "Frog" part does NOT have gold sparkles. Those are little bumps that...a frog has. That part of the title is green and bumpy like a frog.

Anyway, the new font works if this is a very modern fairy tale, which it is. It tries to mix classic and modern, so the title does as well. I would prefer the more classic first title and a more classic film, but whatever.

I wanted to say...at first I didn't think...this was the best fairy tale to make the first black princess...because she turns into a frog...one black community member did say that calling her "the frog princess" already made her sound less beautiful. That could be part of why the title was changed.

But then I realized we had Cinder-ella. And Beauty and the Beast. It's just that...the first black princess turns into a gross, slimy frog.

But so far it seems no one cares about that. But they cared about her being a chamber-maid, even though she did what she could to stop being a servant and become a princess. :roll:
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Wow, that new footage made me feel less optimistic.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:Wow, that new footage made me feel less optimistic.
how? they were obviously trying to play up the comic parts so they added a lot of that. the animation looks stunning. better than aladdin which i personally consider to be some of disney's finest (of the modern era of course). i love how naveen looks. the only thing i do not like is facilier. he doesn't look evil enough. but i guess you can't tell too much from the short clips they showed really.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

nomad2010 wrote:. the only thing i do not like is facilier. he doesn't look evil enough. but i guess you can't tell too much from the short clips they showed really.
Why he needs to "look" evil? i think it's awesome that he doesn't go too much down the stereotypical villain cliché look.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Super Aurora wrote:
nomad2010 wrote:. the only thing i do not like is facilier. he doesn't look evil enough. but i guess you can't tell too much from the short clips they showed really.
Why he needs to "look" evil? i think it's awesome that he doesn't go too much down the stereotypical villain cliché look.
well i'm just saying that i think he looks more like a rock star than a villain. villains should creep you out and send chills down your spine, not make you laugh and chuckle.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Re: The Princess and the Frog

Post by Barbossa »

Disney Duster wrote:But then I realized we had Cinder-ella. And Beauty and the Beast. It's just that...the first black princess turns into a gross, slimy frog.
Sounds like Shrek. :roll:
Disney Duster

The Princess and the Frog

Post by Disney Duster »

^ Uh-oh!

Some of that animation confirms what I thought. It's too Warner Brothers, too cartoony comical. Emporer's New Groove was different from this, and that was not attempting to be a classic Disney fairy tale, either. Also, some of it just doesn't look well-animated. The "cutting a rug" part and the following tripping over his own legs looks bad. Also, the humour there just isn't that great. "Cutting a rug"? But it may make more sense we find out just how much Naveen likes to dance.

And since when is his name James?

Super Aurora, it's stereotypical and cliche for an evil character to look evil? There's only two ways - they look evil or they don't. Traditional fairy tales, specially in Disney's tradition, call for a slightly more sinister looking villain.

Captain Hook could be funny, but also evil. Though some think he was too comical to take seriously, and thus not a great villain.

It's too early and there's too little footage to tell, but I aslo think Facilier is just a little, just a little, too goofy looking and acting. I mean, the whole animation seems a little goofy actually. Not good goofy. Not Disney goofy.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sun May 03, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

nomad2010 wrote:
Flanger-Hanger wrote:Wow, that new footage made me feel less optimistic.
how? they were obviously trying to play up the comic parts so they added a lot of that. the animation looks stunning. better than aladdin which i personally consider to be some of disney's finest (of the modern era of course). i love how naveen looks. the only thing i do not like is facilier. he doesn't look evil enough. but i guess you can't tell too much from the short clips they showed really.
And those comic parts were most unfunny to me.

And how does Facilier not look evil? His spindly physic and black suit and top hat scream "bad guy" as does the design of his face.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Oh, my God. Thank you so much!! :D
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:
nomad2010 wrote: how? they were obviously trying to play up the comic parts so they added a lot of that. the animation looks stunning. better than aladdin which i personally consider to be some of disney's finest (of the modern era of course). i love how naveen looks. the only thing i do not like is facilier. he doesn't look evil enough. but i guess you can't tell too much from the short clips they showed really.
And those comic parts were most unfunny to me.

And how does Facilier not look evil? His spindly physic and black suit and top hat scream "bad guy" as does the design of his face.
he looks more like awise cracking jamie fox wanna be than an evil villain. i didn't find them too funny myself but they may make more sense in context of the film and once we see the pieces that link them together. who knows.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

This footage is still mostly from just one scene in the film, so I won't judge the whole film based on what was shown. I do, however, LOVE the animation!

That, and the story looks good.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Re: The Princes and the Frog

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney Duster wrote: Super Aurora, it's stereotypical and cliche for an evil character to look evil? There's only two ways - they look evil or they don't. Traditional fairy tales, specially in Disney's tradition, call for a slightly more sinister looking villain.
Yea you can have a non evil looking guy and still make him most freighting character you've seen. Griffith from Berserk and Johan from Monster are perfect examples. it also adds to air of mysteriousness to character on whether he's bad guy or not. When you first saw Malificant or Ursula or Jafar or even Hades you knew instantly away they are bad guys.

The reason i love Pinocchio so much is that you didn't now right away that they were bad until their motive and/or personality surfaces.

What I'm trying say is why they have to "look" evil in order be considered great villains?
Disney Duster wrote:Captain Hook could be funny, but also evil. Though some think he was too comical to take seriously, and thus not a great villain.
Well many people did love Prince John from Robin Hood. More comical than Hook even.
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

After the clip, I'm still unsure of what to think of the film. I do love Naveen's character design though in the film now and think he looks a lot better (and cuter too :p). And his personality so far I'm enjoying. A bit pompous, but sweet and funny as well.

What makes me cringe though is the firefly. I was hoping that he was only in the trailer, but finding out he's actually in the film, just...ugh. Big facepalm, Disney, big facepalm.
-Tim
Disney Duster

Re: The Princess and the Frog

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes PhillipFan, the firefly is not only unfunny, but a stereotype. He's wrong and bad on so many levels.

Like so often, you say point out such good things Superora.

When you see those Maleficent to Hades characters, the instant feeling of unease does add to the film. What are they going to do. I know they're bad...what are they going to do?! It builds the tension until the bad things actually happens, like eerie music before the scary event.

Howver, you're right, wondering whether a character is bad or not does add mystery, but if they seem a little sinister, I feel that adds more. Leaning one way, either a good way or a bad way, keep interest, like "oh, so this character will help the hero?" or "this character will hurt our hero?"

By the way, Maleficent's "I felt quite distressed" and "I guess I'll be on my way" does feign some un-evil that does lead the audience on and make them wonder, at least a little.

I didn't think about Pinocchio. Good example of characters that seem nice, or could be nice, but then reveal how bad.

I have not yet watched Pinocchio since I was a child, though I plan to, but I do believe the coachmen didn't look innocent, and made a few evil faces when taking the boys to Pleasure Island, before he does the really evil face. This is good because he couldn't be described as innocent, so it gives some hint, but it's not outright known yet he is bad, and will do a very bad thing.

I think even Foulfellow and Gideon make some sly faces and things before they actually meet Pinocchio. But even if not, they don't look very evil because...well, they aren't very evil. They really aren't. And the of course Monstro lets the audience know he will be bad for our heroes when first viewed, or heard even heard about (he ate a good guy), though he only reveals he is an evil whale trying on purpose to harm the heroes later.

In most Disney films, villains at least usually get worse and worse and reveal just how evil they are later.

But to answer one of your questions, looking evil is a fairy tale tradition. Facilier keeps it in dress, but not so much in his face. All he needs is to look a little less friendly, just a little more evil, which was attempted in his eyebrows, just not enough. His eyes are also a little too wide and cute. I dunno. Something. But if he's supposed to be a skilled actor or something then maybe they went for really convincing fake friendliness.

As for Prince John from Robin Hood, he is loved, but not considered a serious, threatening, or great villain. He may be a great character but not a great villain.
Mr arrow
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mr arrow »

re comments on firefly --"Unfunny AND a stereotype!!???" based on one point two seconds of animation!!??? That was a joke right?

Um wasnt everybody cryin foul that the classical animation dept had almost closed for good a couple of years ago?

I would have thought that it was impossible for any studio to make a movie tailor-made to every single individual's perfect ideal as to what a classical Disney piece should be.
Who knows with technology the way its going that may happen next century but for now PATF looks like an absolutely fantastic addition to the Disney animated cannon.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

To those complaining that the movie seems more comedic... do you remember who's directing this film? That's right, Jon Musker and Ron Clemens. The Little Mermaid was very comedic, Aladdin was EVEN more comedic thanks to Genie and Hercules was just plain silly. Oh yes Treasure Planet was also comedic. So why should we worry that The Princess and the Frog is going to incorporate more humor? The films I said earlier are revered as the greatest animated films ever and having comedy did not ruin the impact of the music and the visuals.

I am telling you guys if you want to gain some enjoyment out of the film stop reading about it, stop discussing, stop looking for footage, stop reading the news and just plain forget about the film. Go with very low expectations and don't see it as the rebirth of animation or even an event. This is because the hype can create unrealistic expectations and could ruin the film.

Like I explained a few posts ago, the more we dissect the film less enjoyable it will be in the end. I think that even if Disney wants you to be excited you shouldn't be.
ImageImageImageImage

ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Mr arrow wrote:re comments on firefly --"Unfunny AND a stereotype!!???" based on one point two seconds of animation!!??? That was a joke right?
And in the trailer. don't forget the trailer. True that he's a stereotype, but I find him funny. I'm that kind of person.
Mr arrow wrote:Um wasnt everybody cryin foul that the classical animation dept had almost closed for good a couple of years ago?

I would have thought that it was impossible for any studio to make a movie tailor-made to every single individual's perfect ideal as to what a classical Disney piece should be.
Who knows with technology the way its going that may happen next century but for now PATF looks like an absolutely fantastic addition to the Disney animated cannon.
You said it!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

1) The animation of Tiana is too squash and stretch-y, which was evident even from the teaser trailer. This does not work for human characters that are supposed to look more realistic, it's usually reserved for more comic or animal characters. None of the other Disney princesses are as "cartoony" as Tiana which i believe is a major drawback.

2) Prince Naveen and his sidekick remind me too much of Prince Edward and his sidekick, both as a device plot and as character design. Although it worked for Enchanted i don't think it can work for PatF.

3) Did anyone notice that Tiana's tiara got changed, got simplified? Compare the tiara in the teaser and the tiara in these clips to see what i mean. I really preferred the old tiara model, it was more classy.

4) The comic moment where Tiana meets the frogged prince is too reminiscent of the scene where Mulan first encounters Mushu. From her screaming to the hitting with a book.

5) The comic routine of the frog, reminds me of Jean-Bob from "The Swan Princess".

These are just a few initial thoughts which can be changed when i see the final product. Surely i can't judge the movie based on a few minutes; anyhow, I'm still very excited and looking forward to this film :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

wow, the film looks REALLY good.

The animation looks stunning. The part where the alligator walks over the water is amazing. Almost Snow White-esque.

The villain looks great as well. I'm now very excited about this.

Disney Duster, is anything good enough for you? You should read all your posts in this thread, it's rediculous. They're making an animated feature for a broad audience, not one custom-made just for you.