Frog Princess found & renamed!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I honestly should have expected the negativity surrounding this film. It seems that this film's worst critics will be the hardcore Disney fans that will try to evaluate this film according to the standards set by the older fairy take films. So if anything goes wrong they will tear this one to pieces. As Disney Duster has shown us the film will perhaps have a hard time finding an audience with the Disney fanbase because even though its a classic fairy tale film its taking many liberties with the formula. Long story short; the film will be very different from the older films and that could potentially be its weakest link.

I think everyone should just wake up and realize that while Princess and the frog will try its best to be a classic Disney film it will be different from the rest and will have a modern sensitivity about it. Yes, its being made by the old team that did the other films but its a new generation of film and it will bring some new ideas, in the same way that both Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast brought some changes to the formula.

If we try to see Princess and the Frog as the successor to all these great films then of course its going to be bad because you are putting some very high standards on the film. I think everyone should just watch the film and enjoy it. That means turning your mind off and just enjoy the story.

If you try to dissect it now its not going to be fun, which is why I go back to my suggestion of avoid the news so you have a fresh perspective of the film once its a reality.

It was this sort of indifference that affected Bolt greatly. If you guys want Princess and the Frog to do great at the box office then I suggest you lower the indifference down.
ImageImageImageImage

Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Rather than quote everything, let me just give pink elephants to the following people whose recent posts I completely agree with...

Mr arrow - for pointing out that people should reserve judgment on a potentially-controversial firefly until they see it in the context of the whole film.

magicalwands - for pointing out that artists styles change and we can't expect them to do the same thing every time.

Disney's Divinity - for finding it hilarious and idiotic that someone would write off an unfinished movie, and that it'd be better if no information was given at all until the film hit theatres.

enigmawing - for cheekily pointing out how the internet is ruining forthcoming movies because of how it gives people plenty of time to nitpick over every little detail that comes out.

PatrickvD - for the completely obvious comparison of a high-quality trailer versus a youtube-quality clip filmed off the television.

Umbrellafish - for the wisest words ever: "Really, this thread gets more ridiculous with every little piece of information."

CampbellzSoup - for not seeing anything TPatF-related besides the trailer, and thus, will (IMO) have a better judgment of the film in December as opposed to the rampant posters of this 74-page thread who'll throw a sh!t fit over something as trivial as the font in the logo.

BelleGirl - for, like others already, pointing out that we should simply wait until the film comes out before we judge it.

pap64 - for his entire post.

Nine posters, nine pink elephants...

:pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

CampbellzSoup wrote:What I don’t understand is how one of the most beloved Disney Classic’s Beauty and the Beast has shoddy animation and you all adore the film. So lets just back off with the hate, nitpicking, and overall negativity until we have see the film.
Actually BatB is one of my least favorite Disney films, but I know I'm really in the minority about that. :p

Thanks for posting the micechat review, Flangy! After seeing the previews and more I hear of the animation and story I'm getting very hopeful of this film and more interested in it. I'm still interested though as to how how big of a role Eudora will play with Tiana since it seems it's mostly Tiana, Naveen, and Dr Facilier's characters we've heard about it.

And I completely agree, pap. Just because I might voice something I don't like from the previews, doesn't mean I'm dead set to hate this film. I'm still going to go in with hopeful anticipation, but I feel many are already hating the entire film already based on a minute of animation. After all, many trailers for great movies show some of the worst scenes in a film.
-Tim
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

BelleGirl wrote:
Flanger-Hanger wrote:A Review from someone who saw a test screening:

http://micechat.com/forums/movies/11602 ... ilers.html
Well, that was quite positive, wasn't it?

Anyway:let's withold our judgment a bit until the movie comes out and don't try to be overly negative.
It definitely seems like the person enjoyed the movie, in particularly the storyline.

I was afraid of the songs though. Maybe he was biased because he was one of those that was pissed Menken was replaced by Newman. But with all due respect, Randy Newman is not a musical guy. I'm sure the songs he wrote are fine, but writing songs for a film like Toy Story is a completely different matter. In a Disney animated musical, the characters have to burst out into song. He did okay with musical on Cats Don't Dance and I hope he brings that to TPatF. I do think he will bring the jazz elements. We'll have to see. I hope the person who wrote that review was just one person who didn't like the songs.

All in all, that review sounds good.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Also, the firefly is the most racist thing since Darkie Toothpaste. Every time I see him, I have to choke on my own frothy mixture of bile and spittle just to keep from vomiting all over my keyboard.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

SpringHeelJack wrote:Also, the firefly is the most racist thing since Darkie Toothpaste. Every time I see him, I have to choke on my own frothy mixture of bile and spittle just to keep from vomiting all over my keyboard.
how is he racist?... Cause I don't see it. he has a Cajun accent. Do you know what Cajun is?

I can't help but feel the apparent racism cries are the simple result of ignorance about the cultural aspects of this film. Is it that hard to imagine that maybe, just maybe, the creators did their research? The Cajun firefly is just that. A Cajun firefly.

Who is he supposed to be insulting to?... enlighten me. No one has been able to do so.
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

PatrickvD wrote:
SpringHeelJack wrote:Also, the firefly is the most racist thing since Darkie Toothpaste. Every time I see him, I have to choke on my own frothy mixture of bile and spittle just to keep from vomiting all over my keyboard.
how is he racist?... Cause I don't see it. he has a Cajun accent. Do you know what Cajun is?

I can't help but feel the apparent racism cries are the simple result of ignorance about the cultural aspects of this film. Is it that hard to imagine that maybe, just maybe, the creators did their research? The Cajun firefly is just that. A Cajun firefly.

Who is he supposed to be insulting to?... enlighten me. No one has been able to do so.
Patrick,

I suppose we Dutch don't get it because the 'cajun' is not part of our culture. At least I don't know what it is, so I won't really notice the 'racism' here.
But these days it seems that almost any caricature can be insulting and racist. I like Sebastian from The Little Mermaid but several people think he is insulting to Carribians.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

BelleGirl wrote:
PatrickvD wrote: how is he racist?... Cause I don't see it. he has a Cajun accent. Do you know what Cajun is?

Patrick,

I suppose we Dutch don't get it because the 'cajun' is not part of our culture. At least I don't know what it is, so I won't really notice the 'racism' here.
But these days it seems that almost any caricature can be insulting and racist. I like Sebastian from The Little Mermaid but several people think he is insulting to Carribians.
yeah, you're right. But if there are people in Louisiana who actually speak like that, why would they feel insulted? The firefly is a harmless, innocent character. I mean, he falls in love with a star. If that's not harmless I don't knwo what is.

But I guess anything is a stereotype these days. Everything has gotten so politically correct it's mindboggling. The entire cast of Aladdin, the hyena's from The Lion King, the monkey's from Tarzan, Hermes the obviously gay messenger of the Gods from Hercules and the gypsy's from Hunchback. Everything can ultimately be considered stereotypical and therefore supposedly insulting. Can we just.... let it go?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Um . . . wouldn't Cajuns actually have to be a race in order for anyone to apply the term "racist?" It's a group of mixed ethnicities from the Louisiana area, rooted from Acadian exiles that settled there in the late 1800's.

Anyone recall Jambalaya Jake from Darkwing Duck? I never heard anyone complain about his depiction being "racist," or any of the bayou animal critters from The Rescuers, for that matter.

Ray admittedly speaks with the dialect, does that automatically mean Disney is bashing Cajuns? No more so than what people have been saying about Sebastian and Rastafarians here. It's like trying to say Mater's character is "racist" against rednecks, or that Bobby's mom is "racist" against cheeseheads. :p Maybe you can argue stereotypes, but even that is debatable.
PatrickvD wrote:But I guess anything is a stereotype these days. Everything has gotten so politically correct it's mindboggling. The entire cast of Aladdin, the hyena's from The Lion King, the monkey's from Tarzan, Hermes the obviously gay messenger of the Gods from Hercules and the gypsy's from Hunchback. Everything can ultimately be considered stereotypical and therefore supposedly insulting.
Sadly, you're right. There's already been enough concern about how people are gonna accept Tiana as a black character, enough to change her name and occupation, and now people are freaking out over a firefly because he kinda sounds like Justin Wilson?
jotaabs
Limited Issue

Post by jotaabs »

Racism? If there were a firefly in a cartoon that spoke like me or had anything to do with my culture I'd be very happy! :F
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Knowing Brendan's brand of humour, I'd say he was merely using irony to criticise/mock the over-the-top hate and curses being hurled at a 30 second clip. He wrote something similar a few pages back which I think must have had the same intention.

Anyway, have you guys seen how the Cartoon Brew posters have cruelly torn the film to shreds already (on watching the same clip we have)? It's always the same story. First they roast a film ages before it's released (think Kung Fu Panda or BOLT, which both got a lot of abuse), then turn all saintly when it's released and sportily agree on what a great cinema-going experience it made. Blech.

I'm glad there's Jerry Beck to keep things sane. That guy rocks.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/new-f ... l#comments
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

Please explain. I'm really not sure what you mean.

I think he's just a cartoon character and very expressive how is he racist?

From the dictionary Racism:
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
Where does any of that fall under? A lot of characters mock/take sterotypes to the next level in good fun, I don't think he's making any kind of wrongful or harm with his accent....I'm not sure I get why people throw out the racism card so much. I'm half black, and found nothing of this whole movie offensive at all.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Souperman wrote:
Brenders wrote:Also, the firefly is the most racist thing since Darkie Toothpaste. Every time I see him, I have to choke on my own frothy mixture of bile and spittle just to keep from vomiting all over my keyboard.
Please explain. I'm really not sure what you mean.
Read Jules' post, Soups. ;)
Jules wrote:Knowing Brendan's brand of humour, I'd say he was merely using irony to criticise/mock the over-the-top hate and curses being hurled at a 30 second clip. He wrote something similar a few pages back which I think must have had the same intention.
Jules wrote:Anyway, have you guys seen how the Cartoon Brew posters have cruelly torn the film to shreds already (on watching the same clip we have)?
That's why I steer clear of Cartoon Brew.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

an interesting review not bad/not good:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/early ... -frog.html
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

So apparently the lighting bug was a huge hit with the audience. :lol:
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Here's another review by a micechat member that saw it:
http://micechat.com/forums/movies/11602 ... ilers.html
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^That's a nice review.

BTW, I may not be the first to post this, but it seems that this film will face many of the same criticisms that Little Mermaid faced(minus the racism). That movie also strode away from what was considered classic Disney at the time, into more contemporary treatment with the characters, the music, and the animation. No doubt that alone made some people skeptical. The internet wasn't around back then, but it doesn't mean that much of the pre-release criticism isn't recycled. In other words, for hardcore Disney fans, history's probably repeating itself.
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

Love darkie/darlie toothpaste :D Too bad it's so expensive!

I second what jotaabs said, I'd love it if my own society is represented in an animated movie (and well, Mulan turned out pretty awesome).

I can't see how anyone hear can be complaining about a cajun stereotype when no-one here seems to be.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

yukitora wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:Sometimes I wonder if things would be better if there were no information given at all, and you saw everything concerning a film in theaters for the first time.
I doubt it, because there wouldn't be any advertising and so noone who go see the film and thus the company would go backrupt again and resort to DTV sequels :o
:)

Ah...you figured out the plan I had all along.

And it would've worked, too, if it weren't for you and that dratted Angemon!! I'll just have to find some other way of keeping this movie out of The Little Mermaid's ranks and on the cutting room floor where it belongs...

Escapay wrote: Disney's Divinity - for finding it hilarious and idiotic that someone would write off an unfinished movie, and that it'd be better if no information was given at all until the film hit theatres.

:pink:

albert
Funny...I didn't realize I was a Pink Elephant virgin until it was over with. :?:

How long have I been here?! :o
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Escapay wrote: Disney's Divinity - for finding it hilarious and idiotic that someone would write off an unfinished movie, and that it'd be better if no information was given at all until the film hit theatres.

:pink:

albert
Funny...I didn't realize I was a Pink Elephant virgin until it was over with. :?:
It's always fun deflowering Pink Elephant virgins. :twisted:
Disney's Divinity wrote:How long have I been here?! :o
Apparently 4 years since you joined on March 17, 2009.

Sheesh, it's been four years and I haven't quoted you with an odd nickname yet?

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61: