Walt Disney Treasures: Wave 7 DVDs Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Lars Vermundsberget wrote:
yamiiguy wrote:Some of them are apparently lost though, wonder if we'll get Poor Papa as a bonus feature
:D
You happen to "know something", perhaps...?
Sorry I don't "know something" but if I did I'd probably be under embargo
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

I just received an e-mail from Disney about the Treasures. It doesn't really give any new information, but I thought I would post it anyways.
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Walt Disney Treasures Collection. We value your interest in Walt Disney Home Entertainment.

Walt Disney Home Entertainment continues the popular Walt Disney Treasures series with three new 2-Disc DVD sets featuring rarely seen footage presented with amazing color and sound. The seventh installment of Walt Disney Treasures will be available December 11, 2007 in a limited supply just in time for the holidays.

Predating even Mickey Mouse, the legendary and rarely-seen "Oswald the Lucky Rabbit" was Walt Disney's first big animated star, and having recently returned to the Disney fold, comes out of the vault for the first time ever on DVD. The silent shorts made from 1926 to 1927 with Walt's personal touch, are revitalized with a brand-new score specifically made for the seventh installment of Walt Disney Treasures.

"Chronological Donald, Volume 3" features the most prolific of "Walt's Fab Five," the short-tempered but hilarious Donald Duck in rarely seen solo shorts dating 1947 through 1950.

"Disneyland: Secrets, Stories and Magic" is a comprehensive look at the "Happiest Place on Earth." The centerpiece of this volume is a new documentary with archival footage, including Walt's own words, as well as new interviews that reveal the magic and manpower behind one of the world's most famous destinations.

Each volume features noted film historian, author, and critic Leonard Maltin. Each volume is individually numbered, with an authenticity certificate, and an exclusive lithograph in the collectible, unique packaging tins and available just in time for the holidays, in a limited supply only.

If you have any further questions, please visit http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/disneytreasures/ or call us at (800) 723-4763.

Thank you,

Walt Disney Home Entertainment Consumer Relations
I'm currently watching and reviewing every Disney film in chronological order. You can follow along at my blog, The Disney Films, and also follow me on Twitter.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

It's great to read that letter anyway. Of course, I know we've been waiting a long time for this Disneyland set to come out in one form or another (Will this have Disneyland, USA on it?), but I wish they'd give us a Disney World set all ready, since that's my preferred destination...
mvd24
Limited Issue

Post by mvd24 »

I hope it will be titled:

Disneyland USA
volume 2

Secrets, Stories & Magic
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Does anyone think that Donald 3 will feature an obligatory "From the Vault" section? I'll wager that that's where you will find:

Clown of the Jungle
Crazy With the Heat
Three For Breakfast
Tea For Two Hundred

Anyone else think this way?
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Hey guys,

Got to see Roy Disney again last night along with Leonard Maltin in Philadelphia. It was pretty cool. I talked to Leonard about the new wave of Treasures sets. He said what happened was that the Disney Legacy sets didn't sell as well as they had hoped. So, they figured that the Treasures had better brand name recognition so they decided to redo two of the Legacy titles, Disneyland and Oswald, as Treasures. This way they would also do them as 2 disc sets.

He couldn't confirm if the Legacy series was done or not since he doesn't work in that area. But from what he told me, I'd believe that they are.

Of course people asked about Song of the South before anything else. Roy said he is trying his best to get it released. I think even he knew it was going to be the first question. He really wants it released and said he's not going to stop pushing for it.

Did I mention I also saw Jim Hill there?
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

I envy you, maerj, for being able to attend these events. That is so cool. Thanks for sharing the news. I'm kind of bummed about the probability of no more Legacy titles, but at the same time I'm glad that the Treasures will continue. I think that if Disney had released something other than the True Life Adventures for the first wave, the Legacy Collection would have sold better. What I mean by that is to not release only TLA's, but do maybe two volumes of TLA's and then two different releases. It's hard to judge the popularity of a DVD series when you only release one particular thing through it.

P.S: What does Jim Hill look like? I've always pictured him to look something like Comic Book Shop Guy from "The Simpsons." lol.
I'm currently watching and reviewing every Disney film in chronological order. You can follow along at my blog, The Disney Films, and also follow me on Twitter.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

So the execs seriously expected the Legacy titles to sell as many, if not more than the last wave of Walt Disney Treasures :? Really?

I guess you need to be a chimp to be a Beuna Vista Home Entertainment executive.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

goofystitch wrote:
P.S: What does Jim Hill look like? I've always pictured him to look something like Comic Book Shop Guy from "The Simpsons." lol.
You're not far off on that. He has short hair, looks to be in his mid to late 40's, same build as Comic Book Shop Guy. He was caucasian and had glasses and was unshaved. We thought it was funny he had some woman introduce him when we were with Leonard. Keep in mind that this was informal and after the show with Roy and Leonard. "This is Jim Hill of Jim Hill Media," she said.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

That's funny. I'm surprised he actually looks how I pictured him. I think I've just seen so many Simpsons reruns that any person who sits online all day singling out one particular company would probably be similar to the character. I'm surprised he hasn't started saying things like "Worst DAC Ever! I will only see it three more times... today!"
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

To be honest it's no real surprise to me that the Legacy Collection DVDs didn't sell well, simply because of the titles. I mean as much as I enjoy the True Life Adventures anyone with an ounce of common sense would know they would never sell as well as Mickey/Donald shorts etc or titles like Davy Crockett or the Mickey Mouse Club which have much larger fan bases and were far more popular.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

Luke, in light of the news that WDT will continue, I was wondering if you could remove this "headline" that occasionally shows up on the forum pages:

"Maltin says the Walt Disney Treasures are done. Read up on the final wave: More Silly Symphonies • The Complete Pluto, Vol. 2 • Your Host, Walt Disney."
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

goofystitch wrote: I'm kind of bummed about the probability of no more Legacy titles, but at the same time I'm glad that the Treasures will continue. I think that if Disney had released something other than the True Life Adventures for the first wave, the Legacy Collection would have sold better. What I mean by that is to not release only TLA's, but do maybe two volumes of TLA's and then two different releases. It's hard to judge the popularity of a DVD series when you only release one particular thing through it.
I completely agree, goofystitch. I've been looking forward to the "Oswald" and "Destino" Legacy DVDs...it's nice to know that Oswald will have a home, but they better, someway, somehow, release "Destino"- I've written 2 papers about it for school throughout the years, and I've only seen clips of it. Maybe a Legacy DVD would be better for it, since it's a short short...I mean, there will be a lot of bonus material, but "Destino" itself is what, 8 minutes or so?
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

blackcauldron85, I had an idea while seeing "Meet the Robinsons" for the second time. Disney has gone back to adding shorts before their animated films. In fact, WDAS is creating brand new shorts for upcoming releases. "Destino" already has a lot of hype around it. Maybe Disney is holding off on a DVD release because they will distribute it theatrically on either a live action film or with "The Frog Princess" in 2009. I know it's a long time to wait, but it would be cool to see it on the big screen. Also, I believe "Destino" would have been a one disc Legacy volume. I think it was Don Hahn who said that there was talk of releasing a DVD of all of the shorts for the "Fantasia 3" project during his UD interview. Perhaps that DVD is in the works as a two disc set with all of the shorts on the first disc and the "Destino" documentary on disc 2, along with features about the other shorts. Probably wishful thinking, but that would be awesome.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Those are good ideas. goofystitch. As long as we get "Destino" on DVD sometime, I can't complain. And, it'd be neat to see on the big screen, but, if they show it as a short before a film, I'd like to think they'd at least have a text card explaining the significance of the film (since it's so different from any other Disney short...it's just plain weird, and people might get confused without some explanation).
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

goofystitch wrote:
Thats funny I had the exact same picture in my mind. :lol: And personality too.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
Princess Stitch
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Princess Stitch »

I honestly can't see them playing Destino before a Disney Film. The Pixar shorts are usually funny and appeal to the family audience, and so do the Mickey/Chip and Dale shorts that are shown before MTR.

Destino is a really artsy short and IMO would not appeal to children at all. In fact, the only reason most of us would appreciate it is because we know the history behind it. Otherwise I'm sure even most adults wouldn't be too amused.
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

Princess Stitch wrote:Destino is a really artsy short and IMO would not appeal to children at all. In fact, the only reason most of us would appreciate it is because we know the history behind it. Otherwise I'm sure even most adults wouldn't be too amused.
Come on, don't underestimate us. I have always loved the "artsy" aspect of Disney.
UncleEd
Banned

Post by UncleEd »

By any chance, when you saw Roy did you tell him about the glitches with the Legacy line? If Roy were aware maybe we would get farther?

I for one held off on buying the Legacy line until after the Treasures came out. I bet most people did that who bought the Legacys. Being a chimp executive at Disney isn't far off. Remember the barefoot executive?
Princess Stitch
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Princess Stitch »

Billy Moon wrote:
Princess Stitch wrote:Destino is a really artsy short and IMO would not appeal to children at all. In fact, the only reason most of us would appreciate it is because we know the history behind it. Otherwise I'm sure even most adults wouldn't be too amused.
Come on, don't underestimate us. I have always loved the "artsy" aspect of Disney.
Whoops.. OK.. someone misinterpreted what I was trying to say :D Let me try again. When I was young Disney to me was the little mermaid, cinderella, pinocchio, movies like that. When Fantasia was re-released I couldn't wait to watch it, but when I saw it, I didn't really care for it (I was like 8 at the time). Now I appreciate it, but I was expecting that out of a Disney movie at the time.

I'm not saying that no one will apprciate Destino. I quite liked it, and I even mentioned most on this board probably would. For those who walk in expecting a "typical" Disney movie/short, it would probably be a shock to them. That's all I was saying! Not trying to offend anyone....