Walt Disney Treasures: Wave 7 DVDs Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MK Sharp »

Well, the good news is that all the shorts on Disc 2 are encoded as progressive. Here endeth the good news.

On Disc 1, only 6 of the 16 shorts are encoded progressive (including all three Vault shorts). The 10 shorts that are presented in interlaced 30fps are Straight Shooters, Sleepy Time Donald, Donald’s Dilemma, Wide Open Spaces, Chip An’ Dale, Drip Dippy Donald, Daddy Duck, Donald’s Dream Voice, The Trial Of Donald Duck, and Inferior Decorator.

So that's a bit drat, then.
"I hope we never lose sight of one thing - that this was all started by a little girl and a cat. And a rabbit."
Dr_Asik

Re: Faulty encoding of video?

Post by Dr_Asik »

marlan wrote:I was slightly disappointed about the video quality of The Chronological Donald 3. It appears that the moving image is not encoded frame-by-frame but field-by-field, and it causes visible interlacing artifacts with progressive scan, like this one:

The image is in native resolution, with subtitle sample.

I compared this disk to some other NTSC releases that I own (theatrical movies) and they don't show this problem. For instance, The Complete Pluto 2 (NTSC version) doesn't suffer from interlacing artifacts either. The review does not comment upon this issue — so, am I the only one who is seeing this, or is it just me?
Just registered on this forum to answer your question (yes I have no life :roll: ).

You should not be seeing ANY interlacing artifacts. That means your player isn't correctly decoding the stream. I used to get the same when playing some episodes of the Chronological Donald vol.3, installing the latest version of media player classic and ffdshow fixed that.

Get it here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_L ... c_Pack.htm
And use the media player classic .exe that will be installed.
UncleEd
Banned

Post by UncleEd »

Why mix the formats? Why can't all shorts be rendered in one or the other encoding format?
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Re: Faulty encoding of video?

Post by Big Disney Fan »

slave2moonlight wrote:
MK Sharp wrote: Aside, of course, from Crazy With The Heat.
Ah, well, I meant among the Vault shorts, which are the only ones I had watched so far.

Yeah, I can see that as the case with Crazy With the Heat. The opening pic of Donald and Goofy was the same but it used to either have Goofy music or an entirely different tune. Sucks that they changed it because it makes no sense to have the Donald Duck tune playing over a pic of Donald AND Goofy. The other one though, what music would it have had originally? It's a Donald short, after all.
It was the Goofy theme that was originally used on Crazy With the Heat. I was a bit disappointed that they altered the opening.
marlan wrote:I was slightly disappointed about the video quality of The Chronological Donald 3. It appears that the moving image is not encoded frame-by-frame but field-by-field, and it causes visible interlacing artifacts with progressive scan, like this one:

The image is in native resolution, with subtitle sample.

I compared this disk to some other NTSC releases that I own (theatrical movies) and they don't show this problem. For instance, The Complete Pluto 2 (NTSC version) doesn't suffer from interlacing artifacts either. The review does not comment upon this issue — so, am I the only one who is seeing this, or is it just me?
Forgive me for saying so, but I think it's just you. Maybe you had it encoded differently. Sometimes I play the cartoons on my computer and these problems very seldom show up at all, if ever. Maybe you should try watching it on a TV and see what difference that makes.
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MK Sharp »

UncleEd wrote:Why mix the formats? Why can't all shorts be rendered in one or the other encoding format?
There may be a reason behind it, but I suspect that it's probably just a cock-up on the authoring front during the process of transferring from film to tape to MPEG.

Interestingly, examining the Oswald shorts more closely reveals that many of them are flagged interlaced during the opening title cards and progressive during the body of the film. Presumably this is because the titles were re-created on a 30fps video editing system; it all seems a bit strange to me, but then I am a creature of PAL by nature.
"I hope we never lose sight of one thing - that this was all started by a little girl and a cat. And a rabbit."