The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
purplebluelove99
Gold Classic Collection

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)

Post by purplebluelove99 »

The original is great. What was wrong with it? It was made in the time when there wasn't any c.g. available. It was made creatively.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Welcome to the forum! The way I understand it, it's not very much a remake, but the first feature film adaptation of a work that has taken on many incarnations. The previous filmed version that you're referring to was a BBC series. It has also lived as books, a radio series, and a computer game. Like the other versions, the film will take its own liberties, but it does so with the blessings of creator Craig Adams who worked on an adaptation with Disney up to his unexpected death.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

The teaser trailor, which shows absolutely nothing, looked cool to me, so I am reading the books and so far, the first one is awesome. I guess that the movie is to be a lot different, but even if it follows the same storyline, it will still be cool. I can't wait.
The Monkey's Uncle
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Monkey's Uncle »

this movie is mentioned on both the disney and touchstone websites. I think its too soon so say that this will be released under Disney. It seems like its in limbo. I hope it will be "Disney" though. :)
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Wahoo! I've just learnt that Bill Bailey (Black Books/Spaced) and Steve Pemberton (The League of Gentlemen/Shameless) are set to star!

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/Jan05/bill080101.php

Like Goofystitch, I urge everyone to read the book (well, the first two at least, the later ones aren't as good). I guarentee you'll end up laughing out loud and embarassing yourselves on the bus.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
StewMc

Post by StewMc »

Luke wrote:Welcome to the forum! The way I understand it, it's not very much a remake, but the first feature film adaptation of a work that has taken on many incarnations. The previous filmed version that you're referring to was a BBC series. It has also lived as books, a radio series, and a computer game. Like the other versions, the film will take its own liberties, but it does so with the blessings of creator Craig Adams who worked on an adaptation with Disney up to his unexpected death.
That's Douglas Adams :wink:
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

It is indeed Douglas. Whoops!

As stated on the front page, this has now been moved back to Touchstone. Sounds like PG-13 material, and I guess Disney isn't looking to expand the Disney name quite that much. Plus almost all of their 2005 output is Disney, so maybe they're trying to keep what's looking like a potential hit with the Touchstone name.
The Monkey's Uncle
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Monkey's Uncle »

i think we should still treat this one as "Disney" in terms of having reviews and things.
IggieKuzco
Special Edition

Post by IggieKuzco »

wen was the first one made?

teaser anyone?
http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchston ... alaxy.html
55 days 'till Jack is back

They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head. - Blackadder the Third
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

The BBC series was made in 1982. For more details on the film, visit the Coming to Theaters page: http://www.ultimatedisney.com/intheaters.html#hgg

I have made good on my promise and read the first book in the series. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Although I'm not sure how much will translate as well to the screen, the elements of adventure and big spectacle sequences will no doubt be interesting to see on a big screen.

It's been said in just about every thread on IMDb's "Hitchhiker's" message board, but the casting of Mos Def as Ford Prefect just seems wrong. From my reading of it, the character of Ford is quirky, proper (in the sense that he's a foreigner), and at times puts on an air of slickness. If Mos Def can pull it off, I'd be surprised. On the other hand, reading the book knowing that Sam Rockwell, Zooey Deschanel, and the voice of Alan Rickman will be used as they will be...I think the rest of casting is pretty spot-on and inspired.

I'd quite like to see the BBC series too, for a low-budget approach to the material. The British comedy elements appeal to me quite a bit, and I wonder if some of that will be lost as a mainstream American film, even in the somewhat unique way this is being produced.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Stephen Fry is an inspired choice for the voice of the Guide.

I must say, after reading more about the film, I have every faith they have done their best. I just don't have every faith that Disney's executives have let them do everything they wanted to, or indeed can market it correctly.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

I was a fan of the books and the BBC series, which is on DVD. I also question the Mos Def casting in the remake, but I just watched the teaser trailer at the official site and I must admit that its quite good. They really don't show any actual footage, but it seems to capture the right tone. Alan Rickman was very inspired casting as Marvin. I will definitely see this film.
Luke
Site Admin

New Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trailer

Post by Luke »

The first full trailer of <b><i>The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy</b></i> is now up at Amazon.com.

This, the first feature film adaptation of Douglas Adams' popular sci-fi/comedy creation will now open on April 29th.

Thoughts on the trailer?
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Jens
Special Edition

Post by Jens »

I liked it very much. It made me anticipate this movie! The special effects seem very good and the humor is also erhm... british? :P
The Disney Database - All the Disney magic in 1 site!
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Hold on? Why is "The fate of the universe in their hands"? :?
englishboy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by englishboy »

It seems as though the script writers have veered significantly from the book.

OK, my questions:

(1) Is Disney planning to produce a series of Hitchhiker's movies?
(2) I haven't read all of the books. So are those sections in the trailer--CLEARLY not from the first book--found in later books, particularly So Long and Mostly Harmless?

EB
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

It looks pretty good. The effects appear to be well done from what I can tell. The guy playing Arthur looks like he is perfect for the role. Marvin, the roundish robot looks really cool, its a nice and very different design... like the book itself. It looks like a regular book that opens up. I kinda liked the BBC's version of it a lil bit better, I think. Very minor nitpick.

The last scene looks like it takes places on the legendary planet of Magrethea... with spontaneous shovel popups?

I don't think that anything from the trailer was fro the book "So Long and Thanks for all the fish." I don't think they'd make a movie of that book, even if this would become some sort of franchise.
Mehe

Post by Mehe »

I thought that this was the best trailer I've seen in a while. I used to be worried about this project, now I'm not. Three cheers for HHGTG!
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

Well the trailer looks pretty cool, is there any word what it'll be rated?
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I'd say there's a 95% chance it'll be PG or PG-13. :)

Thoughts on the trailer...it's encouraging. Having read the book and seen the trailer, this has become one of my most anticipated films of this year. Seems to be a faithful visualization of the book - Arthur is just like I'd expect, Ford doesn't appear to be too much like the character in the book, but it all looks pretty promising so far.

That "fate of the universe" stuff might have just been typical trailer talk.

A larger version of this trailer (plus a couple of new photos) is now available here:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/intheaters.html#hgg