The Aristocats: 2-Disc (?) Special Edition DVD Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
lighthousemike
Gold Classic Collection

The Aristocats: Two-Disc Special Edition DVD - Cover Art

Post by lighthousemike »

Update : Disney launched the Aristocats dvd website with a look at the cover art. Check it out:

The below ad is an insert in the Cinderella III - DVD

*Update - UD's front page reporting this release was pushed back and now is TBA. i wonder if this Tuesday's release of Cinderella III will still have the below ad as it is not just one sheet but a part of the booklet.

Last edited by lighthousemike on Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Whoa whoa whoa...

Does "SE 2 dvd" mean it's a friggin' two-disc DVD???

If it is, I'm happy for Aristocat fans, but at the same time, it makes me even more pissed that Disney couldn't be bothered with a two-disc for Robin Hood, a much superior film.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

That's great, too bad I bought the 1-Disc DVD last year.... :lol:
lighthousemike
Gold Classic Collection

Post by lighthousemike »

Original post updated
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

I agree, what's up with giving this film a two disc treatment? Robinhood and The Fox and The Hound also deserved a two disc and a better transfer.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

WHOA!! That is some very shocking news. I was happy to hear that the Aristocats would be re-released soon but I NEVER thought it would recieve 2-disc treatment -- that is CRAZY and I am in shock. I am also extremely excited - how COOL!
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

I'm in shock. Out of all the animated classics, I never expected "Aristocats" to get 2-disc. I much would have rather had a 2-disc "Robin Hood" instead. But that's probably because "Aristocats" is my least favorite film.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

I wonder what made them start the 1-disc trend in the first place if they're just going to go back to making 2-discs.
Ting Ting
Anniversary Edition

Post by Ting Ting »

:o :o :o

BLAHZEMEGAH!

A 2-Disc edition of The Aristocats? Here's to hoping a trend follows for the rest of the DACs.
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

WOW!!! :o a 2-disc for a dark age film!!!

i agree with everyone.robin hood deserves better even though i also like aristocats.i guess they decide on this since marie and cats r popular in many countries?2 discs = fullscreen & widescreen i hope!
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
GIANTfraggle

Post by GIANTfraggle »

I love the Aristocats so this is pretty exciting. It's weird that it's only 2 months away though & this is the first we're hearing of it.
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

So THoN stays with a single disc treatment when there is clearly tons of materials to be used, yet this gets a 2-Disc treatment? I can honestly say that Disney is perhaps the strangest film distributor I know.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
dalmation134
Gold Classic Collection

Post by dalmation134 »

I like the Aristocats, and this is pretty cool, but I would have preferred two-discs on many other films. :roll:
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

HATE TO SAY IT BUT I TOLD YOU SO!!! :lol: and as someone familiar would say, I'm buying :lol:
toonaspie wrote: the Aristocats seems like one of those features that probably doesnt have stuff (or popularity) to gain anything more than a one disc, i will be happy though if the provide a really good juice full of special features. They should a documentary on the film's making and significance like they did with The Fox and the Hound DVD
Escapay wrote: Guys, if re-releases like Tarzan, The Emperor's New Groove, Dumbo, The Fox and the Hound, and Robin Hood are any indication, we'll only see a single-disc re-release of The Aristocats. The idea of a two-disc release for non-Platinum Disney Animated Classics seems to have gone the way of the dodo, unfortunately. Rolling Eyes

Pasta67 already posted what's in the R2 release, and that's what we'll likely see in the new R1 release, though of course, it'll come at the cost of losing the trailer from the Gold Collection disc.

If Robin Hood is any indication again, we'll likely see it in a new matted 16:9 widescreen presentation, something that could be worth the upgrade. (Unlike with Fox and the Hound, which still gets screwed over about the aspect ratio.)

Escapay
w00t wrote: I'm not sure if I will buy this or not......a 2-disc would have been nice......but yeah it just wont happen
Simba3 wrote: I'm excited to read this information. As Luke has pointed out, the source is reliable so I am pretty much betting on a Aristocats release for next year. Not surprising either, in other threads I have been reading lately that Marie is VERY popular overseas. I was in the Disney store today and I saw a lot of stuff with Marie on it including an all white plush stuffed animal, a watch, and one of those childrens cups with the stray in it. I have never before seen Marie on anything in the Disney store, and I began thinking to myself about what I have read in some of these threads. I was just thinking to myself today, "I bet Aristocats WILL be re-released next year" ... and now it looks like I was right. I completely agree with Escapay though, there is NO WAY this movie is going to get a 2-disc treatment. I would expect to see a fairly bare-boned edition of Aristocats for next year, hopefully without a god-awful sub tittle for the edition name. I'm still excited though, either way, because I don't yet own this movie.
Simba3 wrote: I would bet that Hercules and The Hunchback of Notre Dame would get 2 disc releases eventually. I am still keeping my fingers crossed for a 10th Anniversary edition of Hercules for next year. However, I would bet a million dollars that The Aristocats will only be a single disc release. If films like Dumbo and Robin Hood didn't achieve double disc status, there is no way that The Aristocats would.
Can I have my million dollars Simba3?
:lol:
Last edited by yamiiguy on Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

This is good news, in theory. Becuase it shows that if this gets a 2 disc release it's possible for everything to. Although it could always be a case of Disc one: the film, Disc Two: the bonus features from the previous UK release. Also I suppose they could provide both the open matte and widescreen versions, one on each disc.

Perhaps the reason why this release is having more put into it, is due to its popularity in other territories, it certainly has more fame outside America.

Also Thank God they've called it a "special edition", rather than a "Purrfect, groovy, hip swinging, pussy, kitty, whisker tingling, our home entertainment division clearly have no respect for themselves or their products edition".
danfrandes
Suspended

Post by danfrandes »

If the Aristocats:Special Edition is scheduled on March 27 2007, could the movie be cropped in widescreen like Robin Hood?
Caballero Girl
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Caballero Girl »

Superb news. I'm happy for the Aristocats. Probably not one of my Top 10 Disney films, but I certainly feel that it's a vastly superior film to Robin Hood, and thus deserves one up on it.

Still, exactly what kind of special features are people expecting to occupy that second disc? Personally, I'm not raising my hopes above a few fluff pieces, maybe the odd interesting feature if we're lucky. I mean, Disney's track record with non-Platinum releases hasn't exactly been great in that department.
danfrandes
Suspended

Post by danfrandes »

The edition title for The Aristocats DVD should've been "40th Anniversary Edition"
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

but it turns 36 years old this year

perhaps in the future Disney will releases a 2 disc for the Black Cauldron or that Rescuers set that was discussed here. anything is possible now that Aristocats gets 2 discs
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

:pink: YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am shocked that this is the first we've heard of this. Only advertising it a month and a half (or so) before the DVD comes out. And, I'm jealous that you have "Cinderella III" this early!

I am so excited! I haven't double-dipped in "Robin Hood" yet, but I will once the DMC gets it (if they haven't yet) and have a great deal. But I'll be getting "The Aristocats" the day after my birthday (when it comes out)! This is exciting news!

I do my best thinking in the bathroom, and this morning, I was trying to add up how much I'd be spending on Disney movies, both at the theater and on DVD...and this one was not included, since I just checked this now. I have to save all of my allowance (I'm married, but I still get an allowance!) and use it toward all the new Disney movies/DVDs coming out!

Thanks for posting, lighthousemike! You made my day!