The Aristocats: 2-Disc (?) Special Edition DVD Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
numba1lostboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by numba1lostboy »

I do think we'll get the news of this release within the next two weeks. The official Disney DVD site's "Coming Soon" column is running out of titles. It only has four or five right now, so more titles will be added soon, and The Aristocats seems to be the only DVD that we're all wondering about. We might even hear about the Winnie the Pooh re-release and the Princess Enchanted Tales.

The Disney Records site needs to be updated, too.
:pan: Love It.
Cowardly Sparrow

Post by Cowardly Sparrow »

I work at the Disney Store, and yesterday we got a bulletin stating that the Aristocats DVD has been pushed to 2008. I can't remember exactly why but I'll read it again tomorrow and let everyone know the details.

Sorry for those hoping to get it soon! :(
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

Cowardly Sparrow wrote:I work at the Disney Store, and yesterday we got a bulletin stating that the Aristocats DVD has been pushed to 2008. I can't remember exactly why but I'll read it again tomorrow and let everyone know the details.

Sorry for those hoping to get it soon! :(
2008?! Good Lord! I can't understand why Disney would announce it for March 2007, then decide not to release it in 2007, at all! I hope this is not true.

I just saw the cover art for this release, and I like it, quite a bit. It's actually very nice.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Why does Disney always do this? Why bother even mentioning it, if the rekease is miles away? Or is it just to build up tension?

Well whatever it is, its confusing and annoying.

:x :?
danfrandes
Suspended

Post by danfrandes »

Do you think "The Aristocats: Special Edition" should be released in May 2007 or December 2007?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

danfrandes wrote:Do you think "The Aristocats: Special Edition" should be released in May 2007 or December 2007?
If you read above, then you will see that there has been a post regarding the release date; its now going to be 2008, which is a shame.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

This reminds me of when the "Pocahontas", "Mary Poppins", and "Lilo & Stitch" special edition DVDs were advertised...we got the first two, but still haven't gotten L&S: SE yet. Maybe Disney just wanted to see how many people were interested in "The Aristocats" (like surfing on sites like UD)...and they'll plan from there. I just can't think of why else they'd torture us like this... :(
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

it was too good to be true in the first place.
NarniaDis
Special Edition

Post by NarniaDis »

:evil: thats not good news - was looking forward to it....
Im a riding on cloud Nine.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

It seems sketchy to me that Disney would advertise the Aristocats Special Edition in various ways: an advertisement in the booklet inside Peter Pan's Platinum Edition, a trailer in the "Coming Soon" portion of the DVD, as well as a website that is up and running - and then decide to push the release date back a whole year. Granted, it does only say "coming soon" with no specific reference to when. Not saying I don't believe you, but I still have hope of seeing this film released this year. But... if you get any more info on why it won't be released this year, I'd like to hear it.
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
disneystarsfan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneystarsfan »

since we're not getting a release until 2008(supposedly now :x :( ), can someone upload the trailer to somewhere like youtube if it's not too much to ask? i ask of this favor because i probably won't buy the peter pan platinum edition till august(allowance issues).
Disney Animation is the Best!
Ting Ting
Anniversary Edition

Post by Ting Ting »

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm thinking we'll get it sometime between now and July. Those Disney stores announcements have been wrong numerous times before.
Tony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tony »

I'd agree there is a good chance it will come out between now and July. Buena Vista have advised on their Australian website that the 2 disc DVD is due for release in Australia on June 06th. The U.S. version should arrive at approx the same time... (of course, unless it ends up being the same as the 2 disc Lilo & Stitch & 1 disc Pinochio Special Edition that were released internationally, but not in North America for same strange reason).
Cowardly Sparrow

Post by Cowardly Sparrow »

We get a Q&A weekly, discussing questions that different Disney Store managers have brought to attention. One of the questions being answerd was why the Aristocats release date is not on our newly updated calendar, despite there being an insert inside the Cinderella 3 DVD with a March 27th release date. We have a master calendar that tells the upcoming releases for two to three months in advance, and it was recently updated through May, with Aristocats nowhere to be found.

Their answer was simply that the Aristocats DVD release has been pushed to 2008, and the insert from the Cinderella 3 DVD was made prior to these changes. That's why all the other ads so far just say 'coming soon.'

Believe me, I hope it's wrong as I was looking forward to getting this DVD soon. Just giving everyone a heads up that we might be waiting awhile. :)
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

Cowardly Sparrow wrote:We get a Q&A weekly, discussing questions that different Disney Store managers have brought to attention. One of the questions being answerd was why the Aristocats release date is not on our newly updated calendar, despite there being an insert inside the Cinderella 3 DVD with a March 27th release date. We have a master calendar that tells the upcoming releases for two to three months in advance, and it was recently updated through May, with Aristocats nowhere to be found.

Their answer was simply that the Aristocats DVD release has been pushed to 2008, and the insert from the Cinderella 3 DVD was made prior to these changes. That's why all the other ads so far just say 'coming soon.'

Believe me, I hope it's wrong as I was looking forward to getting this DVD soon. Just giving everyone a heads up that we might be waiting awhile. :)
Is there anything else on the calendar slated to come out soon that is GOOD? The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh?
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I was watching the ad for The Aristocats on my Peter Pan dvd, and I noticed something weird. The ad was identical to the VHS releases's ad. They used the same clips and the same announcement. The only thing different was the announcer.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Also, the release may not be 2008. Release dates are always subject to change. But I may be wrong.
TheNikki
Gold Classic Collection

Post by TheNikki »

I noticed the trailer being the same as well. We have a VHS copy of Disney films at the daycare center I work at and they show that trailer at the beginning of the videos sometimes.
disneylover2006

Post by disneylover2006 »

i agree with everyone that said it wasn't fair that the aristocats gets the 2 disc treatment while other films get made in to a 1 disc. the people who transfer disney films on to dvd should give the 2 disc treatment to all of the disney films
brotherbear
Special Edition

Post by brotherbear »

disneylover2006 wrote:i agree with everyone that said it wasn't fair that the aristocats gets the 2 disc treatment while other films get made in to a 1 disc. the people who transfer disney films on to dvd should give the 2 disc treatment to all of the disney films
That's what I originally intended to do when I first started collecting Disney DVDs. I had hoped to own all of the DAC's (at least, my favorites) in 2-Disk SE's / Platinums. Well, after I thought about it for a while there are many of the Classics that I just don't think Disney will release with enough bonus features to ever fill a second disk. For example, I don't think that Disney could compile enough bonus featues (or there just isn't enough information) about the package films to put into 2-Disk SE's for each one. (In case you don't know, the "package films" are pretty much the Disney Animated films made between Bambi and Cinderella). I also think others like Robin Hood or Black Cauldron won't get better releases then the ones they've already got. There's just not enough interest to put a lot of effort in releases like Black Cauldron and not much out there as far as bonus features, like in Robin Hood.

So I basically gave in and bought single disk issues like Dumbo (60th Aniv. Edition), Fox and the Hound (25th Aniv. Edition), and Sword in the Stone. And then I've had the GC's of Robin Hood and Aristocats (assuming they wouldn't get better editions anytime soon, but I guess I was wrong. Epecially with Aristocats!)

Well, I knew the 2-Disk Aristocats was too good to be true. :( I just hope the release dosen't go into limbo like Lilo & Stitch's 2-Disk release is.

Oh, and I know this is a little OT for this thread, but what do you think the chances of Disney releasing a 2-Disk Oliver & Company are? I think that if anything, that film is deserving of a new release.

-BB
MY "FAB FOUR": 1- FANTASIA, 2- THE LION KING, 3- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, 4- THE JUNGLE BOOK