The Aristocats: 2-Disc (?) Special Edition DVD Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
SwordInTheStone777
Special Edition

Post by SwordInTheStone777 »

musicradio77 wrote:
I finally got home after Thanksgiving and I watched "The Aristocats" when it was shown on Toon Disney from last week on my DVR. It was not that bad, but it was fun, this was right before the Special Edition DVD which will be coming out next year.

"The Aristocats", does have the 1990 Walt Disney Pictures logo, but it does not have the Buena Vista logo on it, I guess the Buena Vista logo should belong on this upcoming Special Edition DVD. It was taken from the "Masterpiece" edition on VHS and it was later shown on Toon Disney.

I got it taped on a DVD-R for keeping my movie, but I have to avoid the commercials for that. If there is a commercial coming on during the movie, I might as well pause it.
Buena Vista will be on the DVD, since Buena Vista released the movie when it first came out back in 1970.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

SwordInTheStone777 wrote:A House Hasn't Fallen On You Yet David?

I've got some bad new for you David, looks like 101 is going to be Widescreen

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProd ... sku=687784
Stop trying to pick a fight, SwordInTheStone777!! :x You're making me sick. What do you want David to do? Hurl a tidal wave of bad words at you?
SwordInTheStone777
Special Edition

I'm not fighting, I'm just clearing stuff up.
DarthBoy
Limited Issue

Post by DarthBoy »

Can't wait! i totally dig this movie.
jennydumas
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jennydumas »

I can't wait either!
It came on toondisney this morning and I watched it :]
Good times, good times.
Just like a river rushing straight into the sea.... I'm the one thing meant for you, and you for me
SwordInTheStone777
Special Edition

I love "Everybody Want's To Be A Cat".
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

SwordInTheStone777 wrote:I love "Everybody Want's To Be A Cat".
OMG! You don't mean!? This is miraculous! You made my day there buddy! Thank you so much for sharing!!!
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

2099net wrote:My personal opinion is there is no "official" ratio. I doubt theaters were ever told an official ratio for projecting. If they were, I'm sure that there wouldn't be all this debate now - and indeed on this forum for the past 5 years off and on - Disney would just outright state what the ratio was intended to be.

I get the impression it was pretty much left-up to the projectors. It's only my personal impression, but there seems to be far to much confusion and ambiguity for me to believe anything was set in stone. Which, if true, sort of makes a mockary of any claim of any definitive artistic composition
I think netty makes a very good point here, and I agree. If there was a set ratio then I believe Disney would just offer it with no debate, but the ratio seems to change almost every time these films are released (or at least that's how it seems). Perhaps, BVHE is just trying to cover all it's grounds with each release, lol.

The Jungle Book should've offered both in my opinion though. I can see why they wouldn't have offered both on Robin Hood and the other single disc releases, because if they did they would probably have to realease them in 2-disc(gasp) editions to include the special features intended for the release. Seeing as Aristocats seems to be a single disc now, the chosen ratio makes sense in a way.
SwordInTheStone777
Special Edition

2099net wrote:
My personal opinion is there is no "official" ratio. I doubt theaters were ever told an official ratio for projecting. If they were, I'm sure that there wouldn't be all this debate now - and indeed on this forum for the past 5 years off and on - Disney would just outright state what the ratio was intended to be.

I get the impression it was pretty much left-up to the projectors. It's only my personal impression, but there seems to be far to much confusion and ambiguity for me to believe anything was set in stone. Which, if true, sort of makes a mockary of any claim of any definitive artistic composition

singerguy04 wrote:
I think netty makes a very good point here, and I agree. If there was a set ratio then I believe Disney would just offer it with no debate, but the ratio seems to change almost every time these films are released (or at least that's how it seems). Perhaps, BVHE is just trying to cover all it's grounds with each release, lol.

The Jungle Book should've offered both in my opinion though. I can see why they wouldn't have offered both on Robin Hood and the other single disc releases, because if they did they would probably have to realease them in 2-disc(gasp) editions to include the special features intended for the release. Seeing as Aristocats seems to be a single disc now, the chosen ratio makes sense in a way.
I agree with both 2009net and singerguy04, there is no offical ratio, so lets end the whole ratio ranting and raving now.
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

Uh, I'll leave that for the moderators to decide when and if the discussion about the ratio of the films in question is to be closed.

But what you still don't seem to get is that it is PRECISELY BECAUSE there is so much ambiguity surrounding the "correct" ratio that is the very cause of this controversy, and makes a more compelling case to release both ratios!

After all, they have released a bunch of fullscreen pan and scan transfers of films that have had NO BUSINESS being released that way (either as an option, or worse, as the ONLY version) because they were not filmed in fullscreen, nor filmed open matte and "protected" for fullscreen.

Yet in these cases where fullscreen is undisputably valid as at LEAST "co OAR", and the ONLY version that shows the entire photographed animated frame on the print that each theatre was sent at the film's release with the OPTION to project open matte, they now don't make that available (as an option or seperate purchase) on the in-print versions with stereo mixes and better bonus features*, which I still say is a slap in the face to anyone with A) a fullscreen TV; B) an interest in seeing the entire animated frame; and especially C) both of the above!

*In the case of Jungle Book, SUBSTANTIAL bonus features and the only way to get that title with ANY bonus features!
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

SwordInTheStone777 wrote:A House Hasn't Fallen On You Yet David?

I've got some bad new for you David, looks like 101 is going to be Widescreen

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProd ... sku=687784
Don't get too excited yet, Elphaba.

All that link indicates is that (if correct) 101 will matted in Region 2. Hopefully if true, those in R2 who want open matte will be able to import from R1.

Since I live in R1, I'm not going to get upset about this as long as Disney is listing it as 1.33:1 on their R1 website. And as of now, they still are.
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney
SwordInTheStone777
Special Edition

R2 and R1 releases are almost the same. So if they get Widescreen, USA could get the same too.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Getting back to the topic:

From DVDTimes.co.uk
The Aristocats R1 SE in February
Buena Vista Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Aristocats (Special Edition) on 5th February 2008 priced at $29.99 SRP. The beloved animated musical adventure about a pampered Parisian housecat and an irrepressible alley cat who join forces to foil a diabolical pet-napping plot comes to Special Edition DVD complete with digitally enhanced picture and sound plus all-new extras.

Features include:
1.75:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD5.1 Surround
English, French and Spanish languages
Never-Before-Seen Deleted song
Games and Activities: Disney Virtual Kitten ROM, English Read-Along The Aristocats
Disney Song Selection
Bonus Short – “Bath Day” a cartoon short from 1946 featuring Figaro
Backstage Disney: The Aristocats Scrapbook
I hope the scrapbook is an actual documentary instead of some bland art collection. What happened to the Sherman Brothers short?
SwordInTheStone777
Special Edition

toonaspie

The Aristocats R1 SE in February
Buena Vista Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Aristocats (Special Edition) on 5th February 2008 priced at $29.99 SRP. The beloved animated musical adventure about a pampered Parisian housecat and an irrepressible alley cat who join forces to foil a diabolical pet-napping plot comes to Special Edition DVD complete with digitally enhanced picture and sound plus all-new extras.

Features include:
1.75:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD5.1 Surround
English, French and Spanish languages
Never-Before-Seen Deleted song
Games and Activities: Disney Virtual Kitten ROM, English Read-Along The Aristocats
Disney Song Selection
Bonus Short – “Bath Day” a cartoon short from 1946 featuring Figaro
Backstage Disney: The Aristocats Scrapbook

I hope the scrapbook is an actual documentary instead of some bland art collection. What happened to the Sherman Brothers short?

Disney drops/switches things around when it comes to press releases and what ends up on the DVD when it comes out.
Last edited by SwordInTheStone777 on Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

toonaspie wrote: I hope the scrapbook is an actual documentary instead of some bland art collection. What happened to the Sherman Brothers short?
Ha, what happened to the entire second disc?
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
SwordInTheStone777
Special Edition

Simba3
Ha, what happened to the entire second disc?
This is Disney were talking about, so what they claimed was going to be on the DVD back in April or May isn't what is going to be in the final product. Disney no longer cares about the qaulity of thier DVD's, just lets make some money.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Looks like it's still going to be a 2-Disc for Australia according to BVHE
SwordInTheStone777
Special Edition

yamiiguy wrote:
That's not fair :( Disney Aus is geting 2 Disc and all we get is 1 Disc, bad call Disney Aus. :headshake:
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

SwordInTheStone777 wrote:yamiiguy wrote:
That's not fair :( Disney Aus is geting 2 Disc and all we get is 1 Disc, bad call Disney Aus. :headshake:
To the importmobile!
SwordInTheStone777
Special Edition

yamiiguy

[quote]To the importmobile!/quote]

Thank You Batman! :roll:

Do you have a link for Aus DVD release for The Aristocats?