Hercules Blu-ray in 2013?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Hercules Blu-ray in 2013?

Post by Sotiris »

According to the Brazilian website Plugou (formerly Planeta Disney), Hercules may come on Blu-ray in 2013. They claim that a German fan sent them this:

What do you think? Fake or real?
Last edited by Sotiris on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Looks like an old coloring book image to me with some minimalist logo stuck in the corner. Could easily be faked, but then again I remember when the Tron (1982) blu-ray cover was first revieled. :|

I also feel the need to question now with every blu-ray release, will it be in the US (and by extension, Canada) too? Or will this be another case of Dumbo or Dalmatians?
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I hope its true, it would be great to finally get a Hercules re-release. If this, Aladdin and The Hunchback of Notre Dame all get blu ray releases next I'll be very happy.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
AlasmineLover:)

Post by AlasmineLover:) »

That would be awesome! It would be one movie to knock off my list of ''needed Disney movies on blu-ray." (That list is not just fictional, I have an actual list of needed Disney movies hanging over my bed. :D) However, the Gold Classic Collection appears to still be in print, and I'm not going to get excited until it is OOP.
pick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pick »

The website says that a fan from Germany used his Disney Codes to unlock some coloring pages. Among them, he found this Hercules one. I really hope it's true!!!
-------------------------------------------------------
"Just Make a Wish, and do as dreamers do...
and all your Wishes will come True..."
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

pick wrote:The website says that a fan from Germany used his Disney Codes to unlock some coloring pages. Among them, he found this Hercules one.
Thanks for the translation!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I'd guess it's legit simply because I don't recognize the coloring image (looks new and official to me).
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

This is great news! :D Hercules is among my favorite DACs and it's probably at the top (along with Hunchback) of my most-wanted blu-ray releases. It sorely needs and deserves it!

If it's coming, I can't see Hunchback being too far behind. After all, Hunchback will be the ONLY remaining 90s film to not have at least a rumored release next year.

This makes me hopeful we'll see both in 2013!
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

But it says 'Walt Disney'....

Who is this Walt Disney they speak of? :lol:

Because you know.... it's just 'Disney' these days....
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I would be excited since I love the movie, but I doubt they'll put much effort into it. With as many titles as they're releasing next year, I'm assuming they'll all be handled blandly.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

My biggest objection is the "Walt Disney" as well. But either way, it's high time Hercules was released on Blu-ray
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Let's hope this is true! It really does deserve a blu ray release! One of my all time favorite classics!
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

The picture is real. You get those coloring book style pics at the moment on the German DMR-page, every time you register a DVD or Blu-ray.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

That would've been great news, but I have the feeling that we won't get any new extras.
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

That would be great if Hercules came out on Blu-ray next year.

I just recently watched the DVD and I was disappointed that it wasn't anamorphic widescreen.

That's one of those movies where you can tell it'll be gorgeous in true HD.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Well one can only hope !

It would be wonderful if it was released, though I have no doubt it will be a vanilla disk if at all.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

I think it will look fabulous on Blu-Ray. If there's one thing I love about Hercules, it's the animation: it's like Aladdin, with a huge cinematic palette of bright, eye-popping colours, wild designs and extravagant layouts. However, I don't like how hard it tries to be hip and modern (the narrator's line "You go girl" for example); it's more cringe-worthy and annoying than funny. Also, the songs are a big step down from the earlier 90's DACs and Hercules himself is a bland, forgettable protagonist.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Criticizing a Disney film for having a bland protagonist is equivalent to criticizing them for having songs. Personally, I find Hercules superior to almost all other '90s protagonists and many from other decades in Disney's history. The music is also incredible and, if the lyrics leave something to be desired, I don't find it necessary for them to be top-notch in a comedy, but that's just me.

I find Hercules to be better than most of their comedies. At least most of its humor is self-contained rather than, say, Robin Williams’ impressions of people that viewers today and 20 years from now won’t remember.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

And I find "bland" to be such an over-used and tired term in criticism, that I stop taking a review and a comment seriously when I see the word. I think when people use the word "bland", what they really mean is boring or un-interesting, which are perfectly valid. "Bland" literally leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Criticizing a Disney film for having a bland protagonist is equivalent to criticizing them for having songs. Personally, I find Hercules superior to almost all other '90s protagonists and many from other decades in Disney's history. The music is also incredible and, if the lyrics leave something to be desired, I don't find it necessary for them to be top-notch in a comedy, but that's just me.

I find Hercules to be better than most of their comedies. At least most of its humor is self-contained rather than, say, Robin Williams’ impressions of people that viewers today and 20 years from now won’t remember.
You're right about virtually all Disney protagonists being bland; "bland" isn't the right word for what I'm saying. My problem with him is more to do with how he's just another hero who is struggling to fit in, wants more, etcetera, like Ariel, Aladdin, Jasmine, Belle, et al. Don't misunderstand me: it's not that plot device that irks me, it's the dull way it's handled. Mulan also did the hero who's struggling to fit in and wants more, but did something with it on gender issues, which was funny and unique for Disney. What does Hercules do? Nothing original or unique. It feels repetitive and he's such a cookie-cutter cliche of a character that I immediately don't care about him. In fairness, midway through the movie the contrast between his musculature and naivete/uncertainty makes him a little endearing, but generally the lack of anything to differentiate him from other 90's protagonists means he's forgettable and rather boring.

He's definitely not the biggest problem I have with Hercules: as I've said, I hate the hipster 'trendy' rubbish that makes me cringe if I ever watch it. The style and choice of genre also irritates me: Greek mythology is rich and diverse, and combining that with Disney at their best could have brought a masterpiece. Instead, we get what feels like an attempt to repeat the success of Aladdin wrapped up in a comedy about going from zero to hero. It's an opportunity wasted. I do like the designs of Mount Olympus and the Underworld, and Danny Devito and James Woods are amusing at times, but generally I think it's a rather weak film.