Releases For 5/27 (A Bug's Definitive DVD Returns!)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Releases For 5/27 (A Bug's Definitive DVD Returns!)

Post by Jake Lipson »

"SO! Bein' a ladybug automatically makes me a girl! Is that it, fly boy?!"

This week's three most important releases are playing hard to get, but hopefully that won't happen with next week's only major new Disney disc: the upgraded reissue of the double-disc A Bug's Life Collector's Edition. Ever since its original November 1999 release, it's played the same hard-to-get game as Rescuers and the rest of the May 20th releases are now. It's been regulated to low stock in stores with a steep $50 retail, and went out of print a couple years back. Indeed, most of the Average Joe purchasers of A Bug's Life on DVD probably have the Gold Collection disc (which was a reissue of the original barebones disc from April 1999.)

But next week the Collector's Edition is getting a nice little facelift. Most welcome is the new, low (and, now standard for Disney) $29.99 SRP which should make it "ready to own" as the press release states. Also, Disney has taken the liberty of adding to the DVD legend with A Bug's Land games and Fishy Facts about Finding Nemo, which happens to be hitting U.S. theaters on Friday, May 30th. Also, it's got brand-new cover art (a change for the worse in my opinion, but it's pleasntly colored and is growing on me.) However, the one thing everyone would have loved to be in the new Collector's Edition is sorely absent (or, at least, the press release makes no note of it, so I'm assuming it's not going to be there) -- namely, a free ticket to see Finding Nemo. Ah well - it's Pixar, so on a genral rule it's worth paying for.

However, personally, I'll be picking it up anyway. Having never owned the original Collector's Edition (nor either other DVD version, since I held off with the intention of getting the CE off ebay at some point), I can't WAIT to get my hands on this one and retire my VHS (which isn't in really great shape, thanks to several excess replays over the years.) Anyone else here getting it? I'd imagine a lot of you have it already, so is anyone else picking it up anew? Any completists double dipping (there's really not a cause for it here in my opinion if you already have the first CE, but, is anyone?)

Watch this thread on Sunday for a price roundup once the ads get here via the Sunday paper.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

i probably will skip it since i have the original CE, and the finding nemo features might end up on the Finding Nemo DVD later this year :D
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

I'm definately buying this DVD for the following reasons:

1. This is the only Pixar film I don't own, and want to complete my collection.
2. Even though it doesn't hold a candle to TS & MI, it can still be enjoyed.
3. The transfer is going to be great
4. The extras will be stupendous.
5. Can't go wrong with Costco's cheap price: $18.99
Porce
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Porce »

Jack wrote:I'm definately buying this DVD for the following reasons:

1. This is the only Pixar film I don't own, and want to complete my collection.
2. Even though it doesn't hold a candle to TS & MI, it can still be enjoyed.
3. The transfer is going to be great
4. The extras will be stupendous.
5. Can't go wrong with Costco's cheap price: $18.99
Those are my exact reasons. I can't wait for this. I have the CEs of TS and MI, and I need this one to make my Pixar collection complete. Plus, it is going to be a great movie/DVD.
The user formerly known as Dacp