Disney is plain UNPREDICTABLE!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
The Lizard King
Special Edition

Disney is plain UNPREDICTABLE!

Post by The Lizard King »

I bought 20,000 Leagues today (along with Atlantis 2 - sigh), and to my surprise the 20,000 Leagues 2-disc packaging is the same as the "Vault Disney" titles, Snow White Platinum, and the Treasures Tin series (i.e. the 1" thick double-hinged Amaray case). Once Monster's, Inc. and Beauty and the Beast were released with in a regular 1/2" Amaray with the plastic flap in the middle for the 2nd disc, I was sure that only the Treasures Tin series were going to get the 1" thick Amarays for the future. One thing's for sure about Disney... they keep you guessing! :roll:

On a slightly different note, the Target I live by accepted the $4 coupon (you HAD to buy Atlantis 2 to use it) AND my last $3 coupon from Better Homes and Gardens (for the Atlatis 2 title). So, the way I figure it, Atlantis 2 cost me $16 (Target's price through Saturday) - $2 (half of the $4 coupon) - $3 = $11. I can live with a crappy direct-to-video sequel for only $11. :lol:

Finally, I did NOT see The Love Bug nor The Rescuers in either Target, Best Buy, or Media Play. Perhaps, they have been delayed?

TLK 8)

P.S. What's with the frames, Luke? I don't like them, since they make me use the horizontal slider a bunch of times in order to read people's posts. Just my $0.02 worth, though.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

They must have been delayed... but why? I was looking forward to getting the Rescuers. It would have been one more step toward having the complete line of Animated Classics on DVD. But alas, no, for today it just wasn't meant to be.
Luke
Site Admin

Re: Disney is plain UNPREDICTABLE!

Post by Luke »

The Lizard King wrote:P.S. What's with the frames, Luke? I don't like them, since they make me use the horizontal slider a bunch of times in order to read people's posts. Just my $0.02 worth, though.
What resolution are you using? I use 1024x768, which seems to be pretty much the default these days, and no horizontal slider at all for me.

Glad to hear that these SEs are in the wider cases to match the Vault titles.

With regards to Rescuers and Love Bug, supposedly they were late in being sent out and might not arrive at many retailers until later this week.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Okay, thanks!

Just a note... 20,000 Leagues, when I put in the extras disc says "VAULT DISNEY COLLECTION" at the top of the screen. In the background, if you watch carefully they have posters for The Love Bug and The Apple Dumpling Gang.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Apple Dumpling Gang SE coming then? Let's hope so! :)
The Lizard King
Special Edition

Post by The Lizard King »

Luke wrote:What resolution are you using? I use 1024x768, which seems to be pretty much the default these days, and no horizontal slider at all for me.
I use 800x600, so I can SEE what I'm typing. :) You're right, when I change to 1024x768, then the frames become less annoying, but I can't see anything on my monitor worth a damn! <squinting>
Luke wrote:Glad to hear that these SEs are in the wider cases to match the Vault titles.
We'll see if the unpredictability continues. :wink:
Luke wrote:With regards to Rescuers and Love Bug, supposedly they were late in being sent out and might not arrive at many retailers until later this week.
Funny thing is that none of the Sunday paper advertisements even mentioned these two titles. Nothing. Nada.

TLK 8)
philipp616
Limited Issue

Post by philipp616 »

Is there a booklet in the case?
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

The Lizard King wrote:I use 800x600, so I can SEE what I'm typing. :) You're right, when I change to 1024x768, then the frames become less annoying, but I can't see anything on my monitor worth a damn! <squinting>

*SNIP*

Funny thing is that none of the Sunday paper advertisements even mentioned these two titles. Nothing. Nada.
Fair enough about the resolution. You can totally shrink the side frame down to a more reasonable width, then, so there's no need for horizontal scrolling. I designed the frame for 1024x768, so the formatting will look weird if you decrease the width, but maybe it already looks weird for you?

And as for the circulars, yeah, Disney really blew this one. They wonder why their Vault Disney titles underperform, and then they keep The Love Bug under wraps, so that the only way you'll know it's coming (and that it's a loaded 2-disc SE) is if you check sites like this. Even a lot of e-tailers don't have it or The Rescuers listed yet.

Hopefully, since I ordered these two from the DMC, they'll arrive soon.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

No booklet in 20,000 Leagues but it does have a card with the chapter listing on it.
wicked valmont

Post by wicked valmont »

Did any one get the 3 sheet of stickers from Jungle Book 2 from the Atlantis 2 dvd instead of the chapter insert?
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

I too, was shocked that 20,000 Leagues had a double-amaray 1 inch case. Another thing that I found weird was that Atlantis 2 (on video) had a cardboard case instead of the usual Disney clamshell - guess their cutting back on expenses.

And yeah, Disney's inconsistency frustrates me. What's the big deal in keeping the Vault Disney title? At leas that way, the live-action classic DVDs would match exactly on the shelf. It's not like calling 'em Special Editions will increase sales over the Vault Disney title. :roll:
Chet Dakota

Post by Chet Dakota »

I also searched everywhere today...Target, Sam Goody's and Wal-Mart. The Rescuers nor The Love Bug was not released today.

Amazon now lists The Rescuers as 9 to 10 days out with The Love Bug 2 to 3 days out.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Makes sense then to just order from <a href="http://www.dvdempire.com/index.asp?part ... 18312">DVD Empire</a>, as they have Rescuers and Love Bug in stock and are shipping them out. Good price, inexpensive and fast shipping.

If I hadn't already ordered them from the DMC, I'd be getting them from there.
poco
Special Edition

Post by poco »

Checked here in Arkansas....no Love Bug or Rescures. Got 20,000 and Alantis 2 (haven't opened that one yet to see if there are the stickers).
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living." -- Dr. Seuss
Prince Phillip
Anniversary Edition

Different case for lion king

Post by Prince Phillip »

I think the Lionking Platinum case is a different style yet. In the pictures it looks like the kind that folds open (similar to Roger Rabbit) :( . I dont mind them switching the widths of the cases, but at least keep the same style. (clamshell? I don't know if this term is also used for the dvd cases)
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

Prince Phillip, I said clamshell in referring to the VHS cases, not the DVD. I was saying that instead of the usual clamshell case Disney puts all their VHS movies in, Atlantic 2 was instead packaged in a cardboard VHS case.

On a side note, the 20,000 Leagues DVD is wonderful. I absolutely love it - the best of the Vault Disney titles yet. There's a huge wealth of documentary and archive material on the disc, coupled with the fact that the movie itself is one of Disney's all time best, IMO. :D
Peter Pan

Missing

Post by Peter Pan »

Its sad that they cant even get the releases out on the day they are released how do they expect to make any sales.

I cant wait to watch 20,000 leagues one of my favorites but i am surprised to hear vault disney is still in the menus but special edition outside even though its identical to them in every way like changing the title is gonna make a difference?

Regardless i want Rescuers i wish i could have picked it up im only a few titles away from having every Disney animated movie on DVD. I LOVE them all.

If anyone spots the two missing movies please let us know (Rescuers & Love Bug)
Chuck
Well well, a Codfish on a HOOK!
poco
Special Edition

Post by poco »

Come to think about it, I haven't even seen the movie the Moonspinners out in stores, while I have seen all the others (Gus, Absent Minded Professor, Computer wore Tennis Shoes, etc.).... Maybe they make some so you have to buy direct from an online store....just a thought...

then maybe they forgot to send them out...Eisner could forget, I wouldn't put it past him
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living." -- Dr. Seuss
Choco Bear
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Choco Bear »

has ne gotten the rescuers or the love bug :?