Walt Disney Treasures Wave 6 DVDs Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MK Sharp »

ichabod wrote:Ichabod is not a happy bunny!

Why is that you ask?

It's because 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' has been Image!

:(
OK, I give up - where's the cut?

The version on MSS is significantly more uncut than the version I have off the Disney Channel, re-instating the shots of the little boy getting covered in soot and humorously looking like a person of colour before his dog licks it off. I can't hear any audio bumps elsewhere that would suggest another edit.
"I hope we never lose sight of one thing - that this was all started by a little girl and a cat. And a rabbit."
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

I believe during at the end of the parade of toys (where we see toy Mickeys) two Amos and Andy dolls are pulling a cart full of black dolls, one of them says 'Mammy'.
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MK Sharp »

Hmmm, now you mention it, there is an awkward gear-change in the score at that shot change.

Not that I'm doubting you, of course, but it does seem odd that they'd get a print which included all the guff at the end and yet still had other black-face gags cut.

Does anyone have screen-caps of the offending excised portion?
"I hope we never lose sight of one thing - that this was all started by a little girl and a cat. And a rabbit."
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

ichabod wrote:I believe during at the end of the parade of toys (where we see toy Mickeys) two Amos and Andy dolls are pulling a cart full of black dolls, one of them says 'Mammy'.
Oh no we have lost one of the 365 times a Disney character utters the word Mammy in a short. What ever will we do? :lol:
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

Eh, _Nightmare_ Before Christmas...?
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

MK Sharp wrote:Not that I'm doubting you, of course, but it does seem odd that they'd get a print which included all the guff at the end and yet still had other black-face gags cut.
Well the version included on the DVD with the ending in tact I have seen many times before on TV so they probably just included a version they thought was the original like The Castaway and Clock Cleaners.

I did a bit of a search and uncovered 2 sites that list this as one of the commonly removed scenes.

Encyclopedia of Disney Shorts:
http://www.disneyshorts.org/years/1933/ ... stmas.html

Persistence of Vision:
http://www.disneypov.com/issue08/censorship.html
Mr.Toad wrote:Oh no we have lost one of the 365 times a Disney character utters the word Mammy in a short. What ever will we do?
That's not the point and you know it! ;)
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MK Sharp »

ichabod wrote:Well the version included on the DVD with the ending in tact I have seen many times before on TV so they probably just included a version they thought was the original like The Castaway and Clock Cleaners.
I've got a much more hacked-about TV version (from a late-90s screening on the Aus. Disney Channel), so I guess at least I can take consolation that I've got some extra naughty blackface footage to watch. :D

But yes, I can see how someone could look at the DVD version and think "Yep, that's complete, we'll use that".

BTW, has anyone else spotted the terribly minor "edit" in King Neptune - well, I say edit, but it's so trivial it's hardly worth calling it an edit per se.
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

MK Sharp what exactly did they edit on King Neptune's short? Why does Lenord Maltin state that all the shorts that are "inside the vault" are unedited and intact? Is he lying?
Super Leviathan

Post by Super Leviathan »

If you can remember When the issue of the censored Tom and JerrySpotlight Collection DVD's first broke out (or more specifically, when it escelated in Spring 2005, due to Warner Bros. giving a vague, unsatisfactory reason for the censored DVD's), many people on The HomeTheaterForum and other forums wasted no time in slinging mud at Warner Bros (for cutting un-PC content in the Tom and Jerry's) and raising Disney (and Classic Media) on a pedestal as the supposed beacons of Classic Animation DVD's.

Here we are, roughly 20 months later. Warner has set up a program to issue replacement discs featuring uncut versions of the censored Tom and Jerry's. The Treasures have sufferered a lapse in their dedication to including Un-PC material uncut with disclaimers, and it's higly unlikely that we'll even get a replacement program after the fact.
DisneyQuack
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyQuack »

Little off topic, but wanted to share anyways....finally got Mickey Mouse in Living Color Volume 1 today in the mail from an eBay auction, great condition sealed in tin. I'm so excited lol.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

MK Sharp wrote:BTW, has anyone else spotted the terribly minor "edit" in King Neptune - well, I say edit, but it's so trivial it's hardly worth calling it an edit per se.
Go on make us even more disappointed. What have they done airbrushed the mermaids nipples? ;)
bmadigan
Gold Classic Collection

Treasures on borrowed time?

Post by bmadigan »

Beastboyravenz wrote:I totally understand how you feel and where you are coming from. I'm a tatol whiner myself and get dissapointed when Disney spoils us by setting the standards for it's own company. What I mean is that Disney starts out enthusiastic to please it's fans, but then slowly starts declininng in quality because they know we'll keep on purchasing and supporting their work. They probably can't top their best work. Nonetheless, you know more than me in this subject since you own both the first and second volumes of Silly Symphonies.
Leonard Maltin's being out of the loop has been discussed, but what I think is the real reason for the los of dedication to this series is the loss of Roy Disney's backing.
Douglas Fir

Post by Douglas Fir »

Did anyone else notice that in the intro they mention that shorts which no longer had the original title cards had new ones recreated for this release - however one of the ones they actually show an example of (sorry I forget which one specifically) still has the later title cards on the actual DVD... d'oh!

I can only hope that if the Legacy DVD's end up double-dipping into Treasures territory they will at least rectify all of these issues!
BWSmith

Post by BWSmith »

The "next wave" thread quotes an email from Leonard Maltin that the Treasures series has been discontinued.

Is there any way of verifying this through another source, somehow?
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MK Sharp »

Douglas Fir wrote:Did anyone else notice that in the intro they mention that shorts which no longer had the original title cards had new ones recreated for this release - however one of the ones they actually show an example of (sorry I forget which one specifically) still has the later title cards on the actual DVD... d'oh!
Yes, I noticed that. As a title card tragic, I was looking forward to some recreated title card goodness. I think Springtime is the one that has the recreated card in the intro.
EricMontreal22
Gold Classic Collection

Post by EricMontreal22 »

Not to be pushy but UltimateDisney dstill doesn't have a review for this yet they have time to review the Suite Life/Raven/Montana crossover DVD

:lol:
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

EricMontreal22 wrote:Not to be pushy but UltimateDisney dstill doesn't have a review for this yet they have time to review the Suite Life/Raven/Montana crossover DVD

:lol:
Usually if we don't get to post the review during the week before/of/after its release, it gets pushed down and newer releases take priority.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

You know how you hate to have to watch the "unskippable" intros to the "From the Vault" sections? Well, at least on the second disc of MSS, I've discovered a great glitch: by pressing the Main Menu button on your remote control, you can actually skip the introduction!
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Big Disney Fan wrote:
You know how you hate to have to watch the "unskippable" intros to the "From the Vault" sections? Well, at least on the second disc of MSS, I've discovered a great glitch: by pressing the Main Menu button on your remote control, you can actually skip the introduction!
I don't know if it's a glitch because I've been able to do that with every single volume of the Treasures from the first wave to the 6th. It's the quick way of getting past it all. And I'm able to skip past the introductions to each disc using the standard skip feature. I have a Magnavox MSD126 DVD player. I wonder if it's maybe certain players that can't skip? Mine is brand new since my Disney DVD player quit working on me. I do not reccomend a Disney DVD player to anybody. They are made by Memorex and it just isn't as quality of a product as it should be. I know. I've gone through 2 of them in 1 year. lol.
Pluto Region1
Special Edition

Post by Pluto Region1 »

Class316 wrote:Got my shipment from amazon. Damn, the SS set came with a few dents here and there :(

Dunno if it's worth spending money to ship it back for an exchange.
Ha! Not surprised; that is what happened to me last year; I had a whole thread here with my big dilemma on how to get Amazon's customer service to talk to the warehouse idiots to keep them from slamming the tins around. You know, it is almost impossible to email their customer service department, but I found a way. They offered to take a few bucks off it I would agree to keep my Pluto tin (which I agreed since it was a minor ding). But even after telling them that these are collector's items and they need to talk to their warehouse, I received subsequent tins dented. That time I returned them and then it was another 8 mos. or so before I was able to find the same tin at a store.

So it is up to you.... these were produced in so few numbers that they are disappearing fast out of the stores since each store probably received very few. If you are really unhappy with the dents, I would look at my local stores and see if I could find an undented one, purchase it and then return the dented Amazon tin.

This year I decided that I would just get to the stores as soon as the tins were released so I could find undented tins and I was successful in doing that.
Pluto Region1, Disney fan in training