Walt Disney Treasures Wave 6 DVDs Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

I went to Target to purchase More Silly Symphonies thinking it was $22.99, but it was $24.99. They had like 7 of each. I told my sister that I wanted the Pluto one and she bought it for me as a Christmass gift. I'm so grateful and appreciative that Disney released these extremely rare and valuable shorts. Most of these shorts could have gotten lost and/or destroyed by time, but they managed to preserve them before anything like that ever happened. I started watching More Silly Symphonies first, they sure live up to their title for being silly and funny. I love everything about these releases, they still have the hiss in the audio and scratches and wear(the B&W ones) , but to me this is perfect because they managed to retain their vintageness. I'm just sorry that I didn't start collecting these from the very start, I'm dying to watch Silly Symphonies vol. 1. Hey what number did you guys get for More Silly Symphonies? I got number 17,888.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Nice review on Pluto Volume 2. I am relieved that the transfer on most shorts is nice.
brotherbear
Special Edition

Post by brotherbear »

Beastboyravenz wrote:I went to Target to purchase More Silly Symphonies thinking it was $22.99, but it was $24.99. They had like 7 of each. I told my sister that I wanted the Pluto one and she bought it for me as a Christmass gift. I'm so grateful and appreciative that Disney released these extremely rare and valuable shorts. Most of these shorts could have gotten lost and/or destroyed by time, but they managed to preserve them before anything like that ever happened. I started watching More Silly Symphonies first, they sure live up to their title for being silly and funny. I love everything about these releases, they still have the hiss in the audio and scratches and wear(the B&W ones) , but to me this is perfect because they managed to retain their vintageness. I'm just sorry that I didn't start collecting these from the very start, I'm dying to watch Silly Symphonies vol. 1. Hey what number did you guys get for More Silly Symphonies? I got number 17,888.
Beastboyravenz, I agree with EVERYTHING you said about WDT:More Silly Symphonies!!! This is my first treasure, and I love EVERYTHING about the Silly Symphonies! (I actually saw a few actually via: YouTube, in case you're really interested in seeing a few that were on SS: Volume 1. Many of the shorts found in Vol. 1 can be found on YouTube such as Egyptian Melodies, Skeleton Dance, Tortise and the Hare, and a number of others). And, as I posted in the actual thread about the Treasures numbers, I got #58,480.

I'm actually watching Disk 2 right now, and so far, the color shorts look outstanding!!!! (The black and white ones looked good for their age and such, but a few spots didn't really look..up to it's potential. One example is in "The Cat's Out", where the cat somtimes looks really fuzzy, and not as clear as some other B&W shorts. The other is the original ending of "Cannibal Capers", which looked particularily bad, and totally unrestored). But even though I now have MSS, I'm looking forward to what the Lukester (or whomever is doing it the review) has to say about More Silly Symphonies!

-BB
MY "FAB FOUR": 1- FANTASIA, 2- THE LION KING, 3- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, 4- THE JUNGLE BOOK

EricMontreal22
Gold Classic Collection

Post by EricMontreal22 »

Just picked up my copy (I got number 63,021 I think.... it seems pretty random) I'm so thankful to now have all fo the silly symphonies.

The transfer is good however it's not as good as the first set which was obviously much more restored--the Black and White is fuzzier though I appreciate it having a bigger windowbox) and the colour ones simply aren't as vibrant as even the early color ones were on the first set. In other words they look like very good unrestored prints. The Goddess of Spring seems to be slightly cropped around the borders too

But it seems silly to complain--just glad to have these The setup is MUHC better than volume1 too which didn't have thenm in chronological order and had some you could only watch as easter eggs (an infamously obnoxious problem)
brotherbear
Special Edition

Post by brotherbear »

EricMontreal22 wrote:But it seems silly to complain--just glad to have these The setup is MUHC better than volume1 too which didn't have thenm in chronological order and had some you could only watch as easter eggs (an infamously obnoxious problem)
So, that means that there's no "Easter Eggs" for More Silly Symphonies? All of the shorts are the ones shown on the menus and the insert/guide? (in other words: no hidden shorts?) That will make me happy...no searching to do! :lol: And by the way, you're VERY lucky to have the first volume. I envy you. :wink: Of all of the Silly Symphonies I've seen, MANY of my favorites are found in Vol. 1 (The China Plate, Egyptian Melodies, Skeleton Dance, and Tortise and the Hare are favorites, just to name a few). I'm hoping to get a copy some day, but I really don't want to pay like $50+ for it, despite how much I love Silly Symphonies.

-BB
MY "FAB FOUR": 1- FANTASIA, 2- THE LION KING, 3- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, 4- THE JUNGLE BOOK

Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

There's at least one Easter Egg, but it's merely a foreign language version of a short already on the set.
EricMontreal22
Gold Classic Collection

Post by EricMontreal22 »

Haven't found that easter egg yet but that's the kinda easter egg I like--I'm still annoyed with the stupidity of how they handled them on the first volume.

Brotherbear I got the first volume 2 years ago onlinemine is one of the sets without the tin or the numbering or the litho :( (As you prob knwo a box set of the early trasures was released to Costco sometime back and many stores and collectors sold them off individually) Still I'm pretty thrilled I have a copy and I think it's a must have. I think I only paid 35 bucks--not too bad though that was a while back
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Well I emailed Leonard Maltin to ask him a few questions about the Treasures, in particular the "Your Host, Walt Disney" volume, here was his response. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing.
Hi... thanks for all your kind words. I cannot tell you how frustrated--or heartbroken--I am that the Tiki Room footage is cut from the Tenth Anniversary Show. I was promised an uncut version, and that's one reason I felt it was worth including again. I also felt that this was a crucial show in any salute to Walt, and I've heard from a number of people who were upset that the original Disneyland USA DVD set has gone out of print.
But the best laid plans, as they say...
I don't know the future of the Treasures series right now. I wish the folks at Disney were as devoted to keeping their heritage alive as their fans.
all the best, Leonard Maltin
It seems Leonard is just as annoyed as the rest of us at some of the Mouse House's decisions. You would have thought if a wave 7 was coming next year. the ball would already need to be rolling, so Leonard's uncertainty is worrying.

Oh well.
Last edited by ichabod on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scaramanga
Limited Issue

Post by Scaramanga »

Thanks to Albert Gutierrez' excellent Pluto Vol. 2 review I can now order the Pluto & Silly Symphonies, knowing the video transfers are the way they should be: nicely restored :D :D
" ... Omnium gallorum fortissimi Belgae sunt ... "
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

EricMontreal22 wrote:Haven't found that easter egg yet but that's the kinda easter egg I like--I'm still annoyed with the stupidity of how they handled them on the first volume.
That was sort of stupid, but fortunately the shorts in question are very easy to find.
jebsdad
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jebsdad »

I pre-ordered all four sets of the Treasures from Amazon and received all of them on 19 Dec.

More Silly Symphonies was the set I most wanted. Although I owned the toons on video tape, I wanted them all on DVD. There were a couple of surprises - I was unaware there was an "original" version to Cannibal Capers, so it is nice to have that short complete. I was also surprised to find that my video tape copy of King Neptune was incomplete - early scenes of the pirates drunk and fighting on the ship were missing in my vidoe tape copy. I would have preferred more restoration efforts on some of the shorts, but I'm very happy to now have all the Silly Symphony toon on DVD.

Pluto has never been that interesting to me, but I still wanted his toons on DVD to replace my video tape copies. The restoration looked nice and I was glad to get the Figaro toons as extras - especially Figaro And Cleo, since my video tape copy was only fair quality. I remember taping that toon on Thanksgiving 1987 when the Disney Channel showed it unannounced.

Your Host, Walt Disney is nice to have - but not as good as it should have been, due to the repeats of the two shows. Plus Backstage Party was never one of my fave Disney TV shows. But I do appreciate having the Kodak Disneyland '59 special and the rest of the shows are enjoyable. Just felt this set could have been much better with shows such as Disneyland Goes To The World's Fair.

The Hardy Boys set was bought just to replace my video tape copy of the serial. I'm not sure when I'll watch it since I've watched it enough over the years to no longer be that interested in watching it again anytime soon. It is still good quality entertainment that I'm sure I'll eventually watch.
JamesDFarrow
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JamesDFarrow »

I can't believe this.

I got the shipping confirmation for Complete Pluto, Vol.2 from Amazon.com on Dec.19th.

The DVD arrived yesterday. Only 3 days to Canada!

That's the fastest I have ever reveived anything I've ordered from the US.

Great Stuff!

James :)
James D. Farrow
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

wow, with the limited production run, half assed jobs (bad transfers and censored stuff) and with Maltin out of the loop regarding the next wave, who knows if we get another wave :?

I'll say it once more: if the treasures end without the rest of the Donald shorts, I shall never ever buy anything that bears the Disney name again!

Even a 3 disc tin with all the rest of the Donald shorts would be ok for me.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Lars Vermundsberget wrote:
EricMontreal22 wrote:Haven't found that easter egg yet but that's the kinda easter egg I like--I'm still annoyed with the stupidity of how they handled them on the first volume.
That was sort of stupid, but fortunately the shorts in question are very easy to find.
I disagree. Easy to find is listed in a menu. How are people who dont even know what an easter egg is supposed to find them? The whole idea of easter eggs is stupid. Trying to make DVDs is little kiddie video games
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

For everyone trying to find that easter egg (in white): Find "Little Hiawatha" (sp?) in either the Alphabetical or Chronological Lists, and then go left, and a double eighth note will light up. Click it and Mr. Maltin will give you an introduction to the French version, which will follow, of "Little Hiawatha" (sp?). There so now you can view it if you wish.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

May I ask before I import if they are only available in Tins or can you get them in DVD cases like the R2's?
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

Mr. Toad wrote:
Lars Vermundsberget wrote: That was sort of stupid, but fortunately the shorts in question are very easy to find.
I disagree. Easy to find is listed in a menu. How are people who dont even know what an easter egg is supposed to find them? The whole idea of easter eggs is stupid. Trying to make DVDs is little kiddie video games
Yes, of course. I'm sure it's understood within the context that I was "really" saying that they're easy to find considering the unfortunate fact that they're not listed in the menu...
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Tonight, I might go out to Wal-Mart and see if they have any Pluto V2 copies left. If so, then this will be my second Treasure! :D
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

For those who feel the restorations shorts weren't as good they expected, may be do to the fact that these shorts are 70 or more years of age. I honestly am extremely satisfied and have no complaints whatsoever. These shorts aren't supposed to look like Cinderella. I feel that the scratches, blemishes and artefacts are an important element to keeping these shorts as thay should be, classic and vintage. I'm more focused on what was achieved with the making of these shorts and being able to expirience Walt's hard work that possibly would have never been seen by the public if it weren't for these dvd's. I look foward to finishing this dvd set in a week, I'm gonna take my time, but I know that if I get immersed into the whole exprience I'll end up watching the whole thing.
Pluto Region1
Special Edition

Post by Pluto Region1 »

brotherbear wrote: Huh, that's strange. I went to my BestBuy (I think it was a miracle that my parents actually let me go out to the stores when I have more exams tommorow!) and they had quite a number of copies of "Your Host.." and "Hardy Boys". But not ONE copy of Complete Pluto Vol. II in sight. They also didn't have any Silly Symphonies, but, (smart me) asked the person on the phone to put one on hold for me. :D (I even specifically asked for one with NO dents, and it looks like it's in perfect condition).
well I had no idea Target might carry them, since I've never seen any there in the past, so I figured my best bet was Best Buy. I had a job to do that AM on the 19th, so I arrived at BB about 3pm and I looked everywhere. Finally I figured out they had a "new arrivals" rack and there they were - all 6 tins - they had about 4 Walt Disney and 2 SS's. Was able to get undented ones! (yeah!) I asked the gal working there (a miracle I could even get help amidst the Xmas pandemonium) and she found an undented Pluto in the back for me, but she said they didn't get any HB in. She thinks they will get them in later, but now I am thinking maybe not. I had to pay $24.99 for each - didn't know they might be at Target or Wallmart for less $. I guess next time I'll have to check there. I was even in Target today but didn't think to look for the tins. :cry:
Pluto Region1, Disney fan in training