Walt Disney Treasures Wave 6 DVDs Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
EricMontreal22
Gold Classic Collection

Post by EricMontreal22 »

Hahah I know it looks like we're all complaining. SPeaking for myself--I'm not, I think this crooked transfer thing even is just an error in how some tvs dispaly it (as I tried to explain in my very non technical jargon). I've been obssessed with the SIlly Symphonies since I was 8 or 9 (so around 1989) when all you could find was about 12 total on various very old and rare Disney Gold collection VHSes. I've poured over pictures in books and text for years imagining, or trying to, Hell's Bells and some of the other Black and White ones in particular.

I was disappointed the first set had so few B&W ones and while nto as unquestionably brilliant as the colour ones I'm so pleased to be able to see them. I'm also pleased to see ones finally liek Pied Piper which has such a great score by Leigh Harlin (sp?) who did Pinocchio, etc. It's basically an animated operetta! And the Kittens (which used to air on TV in the 80s though I guess now is seen as objectionable) is a sentimental fave.

However I think most of us on here like to nitpick about quality. If you ahd seen the first set of Silly Symphonies you'd know why people are disappointed--they spoiled us. Back then Disney was spending more money on these Treasures releases and it's obvious every single one, B&W and COlour of that release are meticulausly restored to almost the quality they did with Features like Snow White. Watching side by side I think you'd understand more why we all sound so grumpy and bitter.

Looking at it realistically though I kinda was doubting we'd even get a volume 2--so again I'm thrilled
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

Pluto Region 1 that's where I bought my More Silly Symphonies and Pluto VOl.2, they had a couple of each. I went to Best Buy today and they had all except Pluto and only two More Silly Symphonies. They also had a Donald one, I was gonna get it but the tin was extremely damaged. So I'm thinking of telling my dad to take me to far away one, they usually have more of everything since not a lot of people live around there.
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

EricMontreal22, you're probably right since you have both to compare, but what can we do? Let's just enjoy them and try to look pass all those things that bother you. It's so fun to watch these shorts. They take me to a place that makes me happy. Maybe Disney spent more money trying to remove artefacts etc on the previous Silly Symphonies release, and in this one they probably wanted to keep the shorts as intact as possible. Or another possibility could be that some shorts were just much deteriorated than others and not much could've been done to making them look better. One can say that it all depends on the conditions the shorts were in. We honsetly don't know how hard it is to restore classic and valuable pieces of art such as these.
Last edited by Beastboyravenz on Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pluto Region1
Special Edition

Post by Pluto Region1 »

Beastboyravenz wrote:Pluto Region 1 that's where I bought my More Silly Symphonies and Pluto VOl.2, they had a couple of each.
it is such a hassle to go now to Target, 2 days before Xmas (and having gone there twice in the last 2 nights to finish Xmas shopping) I'm not inclined to go there again until after Xmas. Maybe they sell out faster at Targets out here - I don't know. I always see tins at Best Buy though. BTW, the lady at BB told me that all the Plutos in the back were extremely dented. I wish Disney would do something about the tins thickness so they don't dent. I felt lucky to get my hands on the 3 of them (undented) and not having the time to shop around, I just paid the going rate ($24.99). :D
Pluto Region1, Disney fan in training
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

I know what you mean Pluto Region 1, to be honest I felt these sets are a bit more expensive and to buy a dented one seems a bit wasteful. Every copy they had at Target was dent free it all depends on whose hands they end up in, some people just look at them and are destructive and damage them. So it's really the people who damage these, mostly kids.
EricMontreal22
Gold Classic Collection

Post by EricMontreal22 »

Beastboyravenz wrote:EricMontreal22, you're probably right since you have both to compare, but what can we do? Let's just enjoy them and try to look pass all those things that bother you. It's so fun to watch these shorts. They take me to a place that makes me happy. Maybe Disney spent more money trying to remove artefacts etc on the previous Silly Symphonies release, and in this one they probably wanted to keep the shorts as intact as possible. Or another possibility could be that some shorts were just much deteriorated than others and not much could've been done to making them look better. One can say that it all depends on the conditions the shorts were in. We honsetly don't know how hard it is to restore classic and valuable pieces of art such as these.
Well you're optimistic ;) to be fair to us whiners we do know for a fact that DIsney isn't spending the money on these more recent Treasures to restore them the way they did on the first few waves. And it's pretty obvious.

Howevr I do disagree with the price of the sets--honestly I'm impresse dand surprised Disney isn't asking 50 bucks for these trumped up "collectors sets" the way most studios would IMHO.
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

Damn. My amazon shipment isn't coming till the end of the month or beginning next :(
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Actually, I thought the video quality on Pluto was a little off. Most of the cartoons, at least the images used, look a little too... purple. Did anyone else know that besides me?
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

I totally understand how you feel and where you are coming from. I'm a tatol whiner myself and get dissapointed when Disney spoils us by setting the standards for it's own company. What I mean is that Disney starts out enthusiastic to please it's fans, but then slowly starts declininng in quality because they know we'll keep on purchasing and supporting their work. They probably can't top their best work. Nonetheless, you know more than me in this subject since you own both the first and second volumes of Silly Symphonies.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Beastboyravenz wrote:I totally understand how you feel and where you are coming from. I'm a tatol whiner myself and get dissapointed when Disney spoils us by setting the standards for it's own company. What I mean is that Disney starts out enthusiastic to please it's fans, but then slowly starts declininng in quality because they know we'll keep on purchasing and supporting their work. They probably can't top their best work. Nonetheless, you know more than me in this subject since you own both the first and second volumes of Silly Symphonies.
I'm not complaining or anything, I'm gonna get the sets regardless of quality. The quality is a nice perk, but I'm mostly concentrated on the entertainment. The quality was just from the stills used for the review, and the picture doesn't always look like that. The review did state that the quality had improved since last year's set of Donald toons. I'll find out soon enough. I got it on my Christmas list, along with the DVDs on Walt Disney and the Symphonies.
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

This is my fault, sorry Big Disney Fan my post was aimed for EricMontreal22. But it's good you love and appreciate the sets.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

That's all right, Beastboyravenz. You bet I love 'em. If you were to take a look at my Treasures, you would notice that I have at least two sets per wave. I have all the cartoon sets from every set, so you can bet your bottom dollar that I will get the Pluto and Symphonies DVDs; I'm hoping to get them for Christmas, and I also have the sets on Disneyland, the Disney Studios, World War II and Tomorrowland and I plan to have the Walt Disney set, also hopefully for Christmas.
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

That's great Big Disney Fan, I myself am getting Pluto Vol. 2 as a gift. It's weird cause everywhere I've gone besides Target doesn't have that one at all, and if they do people (Pluto Region 1) have said that they are badly damaged.
Tony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tony »

I remember last year people talking about how to fix the tarnishes on the older treasure tins...

Some of my tins are going slightly black.... and someone had a suggestion on how to restore them.

Does anyone know how to fix ?
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

Tony, have you tried purchasing a liquid that cleans metal's? That should work, and also keep them inside boxes like the one's sold at ikea. I'll post a link to that later, keep them out of people's hands and out of sight. Don't expose them by keeping them on your shelves or wherever it is you keep them at.

I am so happy Disney is starting to release shorts that may offend someone for they're race and vilonece. Finally something for us adults (I'm only 19 but I consider myself very mature). This is sort of a sign that Fantasia will be uncensored and uncut. It's good that Disney is starting to consider releasing all their shorts, whether their offensive or not. It's good they included a warning of what people are about to see, which can possibly offend someone.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Beastboyravenz wrote:I am so happy Disney is starting to release shorts that may offend someone for they're race and vilonece.
Where have you been? The stuff on these discs is nice and happy compared to some of the stuff in waves 2 and 3! They were released 4 years ago, and there's still no sign of Song of the South.
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

Ichabod if you read what I posted previously you would've known that this is my first treasure, therefore I didn't know anything about the previous releases. Not that I expect you to read my posts. Anyway, it's good that Disney is finally being openminded of releasing their more controversial material.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Well I apologise, I had read where you said these were the first you were buying, but I expected that since you were planning to buy these releases, you would at least have checked out the reviews and threads of the contents of the previous waves. You know times running out for the previous waves and there are still a few places that sell them at reasonable prices, I'd snap them up quickish If you're interested ;)
Beastboyravenz
Special Edition

Post by Beastboyravenz »

Actually I did read the other reviews, but must have missed those parts. And there is no need to apologize, I wasn't mad at all :) . I don't plan on purchasing the others, they're way too expensive, if I find them in a far away Best Buy or Walmart I'll get them, but for now I don't trust the internet.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

Beastboyravenz wrote:Actually I did read the other reviews, but must have missed those parts. And there is no need to apologize, I wasn't mad at all :) . I don't plan on purchasing the others, they're way too expensive,
No, they're not, since these sets are worth almost "any price".
Beastboyravenz wrote:if I find them in a far away Best Buy or Walmart I'll get them, but for now I don't trust the internet.
Your loss, I guess. I've bought almost all of my hundreds of DVDs through the internet, and despite the occasional "mishap" I'd say there's all in all little reason not to "trust the internet".

Well, that's my opinion, anyway... :P