Walt Disney Treasures Wave 6 DVDs Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
bcotter

Post by bcotter »

This was indeed the case - the show aired live in B&W, and was captured on film in a kinescope process. It would have been great in color but the series was still in B&W during that season.

Bill
Gregbert wrote:Tony wrote:
I am glad that Kodak '59 is on here, but had been anticpating that it would be in color.... Being "Kodak", I would have thought they would of taped the show in bright beautiful colors for future showings.

Oh well...
From the still of the review Luke gave us, it looks like a live broadcast which would have been a video feed. This was then telerecorded onto film for prosperity. It was a common but primitive process.

Pretty much the same process for the Disneyland Opening day broadcast in 1959.

I am quite excited about this.

Take care,
Greg
ZackR

Post by ZackR »

My local Best Buy (Montgomery, AL) had all of them but MSS. I asked and they said they had only received 2 of them.

Called all around town and no one had it. Finally, the FYE at our mall did - they had only received 1 copy!! Luckily, the guy was super-nice and stuck it behind the counter for me and I now have it in my hands. Can't wait to dig in! I love the Silly Symphonies.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

I had problems to had to go to five large stores including the Disney Store before finding them. I have started the annual Limited Edition numbers thread.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
Mouseketodd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mouseketodd »

I went to two WalMarts after midnight on Dec. 19: Both only had Pluto and More Silly Symphonies. One store told me that anything else wouldn't be available until the manager came and unsecured them in the morning. At that location, only Pluto and Hardy Boys had shelf labels, and the MSS sets were sitting on top of other DVDs on the lower shelf level.

I called a Best Buy after 8AM, and they had the four volumes. I've been told they have put them on hold for me.

You know, I've seen the contents list for MSS, but it wasn't until I held that Treasure in my hands that I fathomed just how historically valuable this release is! SS 1 and 2 are great collections to have!!

I'm not sure which of the volumes in this wave I'm looking forward to the most. I'm eager to watch YHWD (Radio City Music Hall!!), and MSS (Hiawatha, the Christmas cartoons...), but I probably anticipate THB the most!

I firmly enjoy Pluto cartoons, but PV2 is the weakest of the wave for my tastes. In fact, what prompted me to buy PV1 in the first place was the fact that I had been 2-3 away from having the whole Treasure set.

I remember back in the day (Wave 1), when I simply wanted the valuable SS!
My handmade paperweights, including Disney subjects -- some contain viewable movie cells!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/tmhofherr
Currently listed: Ludwig Von Drake, Annette, Zorro, Star Wars, the Wicked Witch, Classic Tron, and more!
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

LOL - Ichabod and I put in the synopsis information into DVDSpot within a couple of minutes of each other for the Hardy Boys. You wasted your effort - I beat you.
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disney Cruise - 01/05

thomashton
Gold Classic Collection

Post by thomashton »

Went to Wal-Mart at about 8:30am this morning. They had SS and PV2 but not the others. Were charging about 22.50 or so apiece. They had about 6 copies of each of those two titles.

Decided to wait and go Sam's Club at lunch. They had all 4 of them and between 8-10 of each. Got them for 21.88 or so each. Didn't go for the HB though.
To all who come to this happy place, Welcome...Disneyland is your land...
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

LOL - Ichabod and I put in the synopsis information into DVDSpot within a couple of minutes of each other for the Hardy Boys. You wasted your effort - I beat you.

The contribution manager now states contributions by Ichabod and Mr. Toad. There's some irony for you - we are sharing screen time again.

Disney Cruise - 01/05

brotherbear
Special Edition

Post by brotherbear »

goofystitch wrote:Well last night I was on my way home from a friends 21st birthday and I passed by my 24-hour Wal Mart supercenter. I went in to get the Treasures and they only had "Complete Pluto Vol. 2" and "More Silly Symphonies." I bought one of each (they only got 3 copies of each by the way) and was worried, so after my first final today I rushed to Best Buy 30 minutes after they opened. I was surprised at how many of each volume they got, but they didn't have "The Hardy Boys." I asked and the women had to check the computer and it said they had it, so she went in the back and brought them out. It appeared that they had far less of that one than all the rest. I also took a gander at the Legacy Collection to see how those had sold. They were out of the first volume, had one copy of both the second and third, and two copies of the fourth, so I think those must have sold relatively well.
Huh, that's strange. I went to my BestBuy (I think it was a miracle that my parents actually let me go out to the stores when I have more exams tommorow!) and they had quite a number of copies of "Your Host.." and "Hardy Boys". But not ONE copy of Complete Pluto Vol. II in sight. They also didn't have any Silly Symphonies, but, (smart me) asked the person on the phone to put one on hold for me. :D (I even specifically asked for one with NO dents, and it looks like it's in perfect condition). And, ya, they didn't recieve the shipment of More Silly Symphonies yet, but it looks like my Best Buy only got 5 or less copies. By the time I called, (around 1:30), the guy said that they had only 2 copies left. When I got there an hour later, mine was the only one. So, right now, I'm feeling pretty darn proud of myself for being smart and asking the store to actually HOLD it for me. :D. Oh, and I'm also happy because my BestBuy price-matched Walmart/Target's price of $22.99 (vs. $24.99), even though my local stores don't technically have them. :D :D The sad thing is, I can't open it until Thursday afternoon. (It's a long story, but the big idea is that Thursday's my last day of exams...woohoo!).

Oh, as a side question, are these treasures supposed to have the blue band around the tin? The ones at my local Best Buy (my copy of SS, Hardy Boys, and Your Host, Walt Disney) ALL didn't have the blue band.

-BB
MY "FAB FOUR": 1- FANTASIA, 2- THE LION KING, 3- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, 4- THE JUNGLE BOOK

ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Mr. Toad wrote:LOL - Ichabod and I put in the synopsis information into DVDSpot within a couple of minutes of each other for the Hardy Boys.
The really annoying thing is that I tried submitted them ages ago, because the blurb on the Disney videos page is always the same as the back of the box, but they declined it until they were released, so on the listing history is has the text declined, and then the identical text accepted! :roll:

And anyway, mine was accepted anyway, because you didn't input all the text from the reverse. :lol:
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Actually, I did put in the info for the reverse. The info DVD spot had from dvdempire.com was for More Silly Simphonies so they thought I had put in the wrong info. By the time we had sorted it all out in the dvdspot forum, you put your submission in and it was easier to accept yours than resurrect mine.

I still got credit for the run time submission and the contribution is to the credit of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. Couldnt help laughing at that one.

Disney Cruise - 01/05

PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

can someone post the disc art for The Complete Pluto Vol 2
DisneyDVDFAN
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyDVDFAN »

YAy i got my sets from Amazon but three of them were damaged so now i have to get replacements ;( but they don't come with the blue band and they are numbered inside are these sets only limited to 65,000 that's how mines are numbered ... ??

well now i have to contact amazon for returns ... ;(
MikeyMouse
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MikeyMouse »

Tony J Case, Super Genius wrote:So anyone know if Costco is going to carry the wave? I've gotten the previous years there - but I know that theyre cutting back on DVD stock as of late. So I'm not sure if it'll be worth a stop or not.
Well, I went by my local Costco (King of Prussia, PA) tonight after work hoping to see the Treasures there as per usual, but not expecting much after they didn't have the TLA's two weeks ago. To my delight they were there, and my post in the TLA thread about my suspicions regarding why they weren't at Costco originally (I thought they were waiting to put them all out together) proved to be true, as there were 4 boxes full of all volumes of the TLAs and Wave 6...ALL FOR $19.89 EACH! I scooped up one of each, paid for my purchases, and returned the TLAs I bought from Best Buy last week (which happened to be still sitting in my front seat) for $24.99 each. Luckily the two big box retailers are within 1/4 mile of each other, so it was an easy round trip.

Now the big question is, do I rip into these now? Or wait to see if someone comes through with a gift? Time will tell... :twisted:
hutch

More Silly Symphonies content?

Post by hutch »

Has the content of the MORE SLLY SYMPHONIES set been posted anywhere?
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Re: More Silly Symphonies content?

Post by ichabod »

hutch wrote:Has the content of the MORE SLLY SYMPHONIES set been posted anywhere?
Five pages back.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Re: More Silly Symphonies content?

Post by Big Disney Fan »

ichabod wrote:
hutch wrote:Has the content of the MORE SLLY SYMPHONIES set been posted anywhere?
Five pages back.
And the official review is due VERY soon... :wink:
EricMontreal22
Gold Classic Collection

Post by EricMontreal22 »

I'm not really too interested in Walt's tv show but I LOVE any full footage of Disneyland rides--not owning the Disneyland Story trasury can someone tell me if any full ride footage is on this new disc and of what?

e
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

EricMontreal22 wrote:I'm not really too interested in Walt's tv show but I LOVE any full footage of Disneyland rides--not owning the Disneyland Story trasury can someone tell me if any full ride footage is on this new disc and of what?

e
The review for the Your Host, Walt Disney Treasures set mentions ride-through footage of Submarine Voyage on the "Disneyland '59" program.

Escapay

PS - Eric, you the same one from SON, SoB, and a couple other soap boards?
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
EricMontreal22
Gold Classic Collection

Post by EricMontreal22 »

Right I did read that, but wasn't sure how much the ridethrus were--how complete etc

And yep that's me! i thought I recognized your name

E
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

This just in: the review for Pluto has arrived!! About the video quality, if you're wondering if it had been updated, the answer is, yes and no (but mostly yes). Here's the quote on video quality from the review:
Presented in their original 1.33:1 fullscreen aspect ratio, video quality for these shorts are on the favorable end of the spectrum between disappointing to outstanding. It should be noted, however, that a few of the early shorts are riddled with flecks and scratches; Mail Dog, the first in the set, is one of the biggest offenders), while Pluto's Purchase hardly has any. The latter does exhibit some oversaturation of colors at times, at least compared to other shorts. Also, a couple shorts like Rescue Dog and Camp Dog look darker and murkier than others, though in some cases it may have been the animator's intentions. And comparing the video for Food for Feudin' from its earlier appearance on a Classic Cartoon Favorites disc, it's apparent that a new superior transfer was used. All in all, the quality here is quite exceptional and better than last year's Treasures.
Hope this helps. Maybe, just maybe, the Symphonies will be the same... :wink: