Aladdin DVD-bootleg checking tips?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Celaeno

Aladdin DVD-bootleg checking tips?

Post by Celaeno »

I just recieved the Aladdin platinum disc set I ordered off Amazon's marketplace, and after reading this forum, I'm kind of nervy about having accidently gotten a bootleg. I've been trying to check the discs to make sure they check out-the dealer listed them as US, region one official DVDs and had 100% feedback, but reading has made me want to check. The discs are the same color as my TLK ones, and the disc case came sealed with the theft protection strips. The cover art edges are rounded, but I did notice that in the lower righthand corner of the back art, it says '2004 release' in a box. Should that be there? I also noticed that the disc art on the first disc seems kind of grainy, but I was wondering if that was a bad print or what. It also came with the DVD guide and sequal storybook inserts, but no other inserts. The edges of both look a bit rough, particularly in the case of the storybook, but I figured that could just be poor factory handling. There was no slipcover-I e-mailed to ask and got the reply that some have them, some don't, and if I got one without one, I could just contact them to get one.

So...verdict? If I got ahold of bootlegs, I'd like to know.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Doesn't sound like a bootleg to me, and with <i>Aladdin</i> in print and still widely available, I'm not sure anyone would find dabbling in bootlegs of it a very rewarding task.

Welcome to the forum! Hope you stick around.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Re: Aladdin DVD-bootleg checking tips?

Post by Pasta67 »

Celaeno wrote:The cover art edges are rounded, but I did notice that in the lower righthand corner of the back art, it says '2004 release' in a box. Should that be there?
Yes, that's on all the official copies.

Well, from your description, you don't seem to have a bootleg. Is there any way you could post a picture of your copy, just to be sure?

Oh, and welcome to the forms. :)

EDIT: Beaten to it...
- John
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

it doesn't sound like a bootleg to me, just a facory error. welcome to the fourms. i'm also new here.
Celaeno

Post by Celaeno »

Still trying to get a DVD capture program that works to show the menus, etc...seems loike no program can actually save a photoi, instead of black space. :P The video of the movie seems fine and clear, aside from the occasional line looking a bit pixelated, but I think that might be from being so close to the screen. The menu screens do seem kind of blurry, though. And I noticed that while my TLK DVD is listed as 'The Lion King' while in the drive, the Aladdin disc lists as 'QL10NNW1'. I've also checked the properties, as I saw a mention of that in a previous thread..the disc takes up 6.89 GB.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

To get a picture and post it here just go here
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Celaeno

Post by Celaeno »

Okay, managed to get some screencaps, if that helps..

First menu

2nd disc menu

From beginning of second disc-this sort of liney look appears in every vidoe clip on the disc.

Shot of the movie from disc one.

Another possible helpful thing-disc 2 has 5.73 GB on it, according to the My Computer stuff.
jojitv

Post by jojitv »

Celaeno wrote:Okay, managed to get some screencaps, if that helps..

First menu

2nd disc menu

From beginning of second disc-this sort of liney look appears in every vidoe clip on the disc.

Shot of the movie from disc one.

Another possible helpful thing-disc 2 has 5.73 GB on it, according to the My Computer stuff.
Try also to post a photo of the case and dvd.
Celaeno

Post by Celaeno »

JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

Yup that looks 100% real.
BATBfan1
Terminated

Post by BATBfan1 »

your DVD looks a OK to me. :)
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection