Hunchback SE Discussion (again)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DARTH KNITE
Gold Classic Collection

Hunchback SE Discussion (again)

Post by DARTH KNITE »

Well, those of you who are Disney pin collectors might know that there is a 10th anniversary collectors pin coming out for Hunchback soon. Also they now have Festival of Fools Pins commemorating the 1996 stage show that was at the park. So does this mean they're gonna release a 10th anniversary 2-disc? No, probably not. But it is at least a sign that they haven't forgotten it, like so many of us thought. Myself included. Only time will tell I suppose.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Disney needs to get off of their lazy asses and starting getting this wonderful film onto a 2 disc Special Edition, pronto! I love this movie, and I'm sure that tons of Disney fans do, too. Come on Disney, we've been waiting, for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time!
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I think Hunchback crazily need a 2-Disc Special Edition. There's so much in the film that is under-appreciated. It's dark, that's true, but I like it like that. And I'd like to know why people think Hunchback has some of Alan Menken's most unmemorable music! In my opinion, "God Help The Outcasts" is one of Menken's most beautiful compositions. Not to mention the supreme power of "Dark Fire"....that one takes my breath away...

I have the single disc Region 1 which is already a very good presentation of the film. All they need is a bit of bonus material, maybe re-master the film, though it's already very good on my edition, and hey presto, we have a 2-disc special edition.
MichaeLeah
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MichaeLeah »

It's like deja vu all over again, eh Boo Boo?

(I apologize for my inability to type french accent marks. I am not much for the language but the food at EPCOT rocks!)

I think the idea is that if you want to comment on this subject you are supposed to make an addition to an old thread.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Listen, Hunchback needs a Special Edition, OK?

OK.

Now maybe in 25 years time we'll get a 35th anniversary edition, on pink-ray discs.

THE END
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

If they did it in the vein of Pocahontas's 2-disc 10AE, it'd be a pretty solid release. There wouldn't be much to add...stuff is bold is already on the single-disc...

Disc 1:
-The Movie
-Audio Commentary

-Unnecessary Game
-Unnecessary Music Video and Sing-Along

Disc 2:
-Making of Featurette
-Production Galleries (Concept Art, Production Stills, animation tests, multi-angle featurettes, storyboards, etc.)
-Music Section (featurette, music videos, multi-language reel)
-Deleted Scenes/Songs (Hunchback had some on their laserdisc, I think)
-Publicity Area (trailers, a featurette about premiere)

The current edition is suitable for now, but the added stuff would definitely be worth a double-dip. Wouldn't mind if they had a featurette about the German stage musical too, perhaps with some excerpts of the German songs...

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
DARTH KNITE
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DARTH KNITE »

I would be more than happy for any featurettes on the music or animation. But definitely the stuff on the stage musical. That would be a HUGE draw for me too.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Like Escapay, I believe a 2-Disc Hunchback would be similar in style to Pocahontas' release, which is certainly a good thing. To expand a bit on what he said, here's the complete list of features from the laserdisc and how I think Disney would arrange it if they were to port over everything:

DISC ONE
* Audio Commentary with the Directors and Producer

DISC TWO
* "The Making of The Hunchback of Notre Dame"

Production
* History and Background of Notre Dame de Paris
* History of the Production of The Hunchback of Notre Dame
* Early Presentation Reel
* Story Reel: Prologue - "The Bells of Notre Dame"
* Story Reel: "Heaven's Light/Hellfire"
* Workbook and Scene Planning
* Computer Generated Imagery

Design
* Quasimodo
* Esmeralda
* Frollo
* Phoebus
* Clopin
* The Gargoyles
* Archdeacon
* Djali
* Miscellaneous Townspeople and Gypsies
* Art Design, Layouts, and Backgrounds

Deleted Songs
* "Someday" With Optional Commentary
* "In A Place of Miracles" With Optional Commentary
* "As Long As There's A Moon" With Optional Commentary

The Release
* Multi-Language Clip Reel
* Publicity Gallery
* Trailers

Again I agree with Escapay that Disney will add a cheap set-top game and sing-alongs to disc one, but I don't think they'll produce a new music video. The music in Hunchback isn't as mainstream as other Disney movies. Disney didn't bother with a new video for Pocahontas or Alice, so I don't expect one for Hunchback. What I do expect, though, is for them to add the "Someday" music video performed by All4One. For some reason, this didn't appear on the LD. Since the LD didn't have a featurette solely devoted to the music, I expect Disney will stick the video under a "Music and More" section with the sing-alongs on disc one.
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

The most important improvement this movie needs is a new transfer, definitely!
The current dvd has so much grain and artifacts, we need to have a brand new pristine transfer like the Pocahontas one.
I'ts enough for this restless warrior just to be with you...
BATBfan1
Terminated

Post by BATBfan1 »

Disneykid wrote: Again I agree with Escapay that Disney will add a cheap set-top game and sing-alongs to disc one, but I don't think they'll produce a new music video. The music in Hunchback isn't as mainstream as other Disney movies. Disney didn't bother with a new video for Pocahontas or Alice, so I don't expect one for Hunchback. What I do expect, though, is for them to add the "Someday" music video performed by All4One. For some reason, this didn't appear on the LD. Since the LD didn't have a featurette solely devoted to the music, I expect Disney will stick the video under a "Music and More" section with the sing-alongs on disc one.
What ticks me off about this is that Christy Carlson Romano did a rendtion of "Colors Of The Wind" before the DVD came out. Disney also did like a music video for her performance in the Dinseymania 3 Concert
and now The Cheetah Girls did the theme "If I Never Knew You" and will be on The Cheetah Girls 2 DVD (I think lol)

Why couldn't they add this to the DVD?

And I think for the Alice In Wonderland Disney uses I'm Odd as a new song for the DVD. So I don't get it lol. :D
DARTH KNITE
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DARTH KNITE »

I just wish there was someone who could just ask the powers at be and find out a straight yes or no. I'm sick of the waiting and guessing.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

honsetly, the more we talk it up the more likely it is that it will happen. It's not like disney doesn't pay attention to us here. I'm really really really really hopes this happens this year, but since we havn't heard anything about it yet, the chances that it will come out this fall and be the awesome release we all want it to be may be slim to none. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed either way!
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

BATBFan1 wrote:What ticks me off about this is that Christy Carlson Romano did a rendtion of "Colors Of The Wind" before the DVD came out. Disney also did like a music video for her performance in the Dinseymania 3 Concert
and now The Cheetah Girls did the theme "If I Never Knew You" and will be on The Cheetah Girls 2 DVD (I think lol)

Why couldn't they add this to the DVD?
Because if that was on the DVD it would probably stop people buying it! ;)
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

DARTH KNITE, isn't this the third thread you've made about a Hunchback special edition?

Well, I finally got tired of waiting and bought the current edition of Hunchback yesterday. If a special edition comes along later, I might double dip, but I'm just glad I have the movie now. Video quality might not be perfect, but at least it's better than my neighbor's old VHS that I've been borrowing.
- John
PixarFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PixarFan »

Yeah, I've been putting off buying the current DVD for over a year now...I'd really like to own it, but I had been expecting a newer version to be coming by now. I keep thinking: I don't want to break down and buy the current disc only to have a newer version announced tomorrow (which has already happened to me on two separate occasions). But, if they don't announce it soon, it probably won't be released this year, meaning that it could be at least another five years before it isre-released!
BATBfan1
Terminated

Post by BATBfan1 »

ichabod wrote:
Because if that was on the DVD it would probably stop people buying it! ;)
It hasn't stopped people yet from other Disney movies. :)
DARTH KNITE
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DARTH KNITE »

Actually, I only restarted this discussion because Disney seemed to be recognizing certain things involving the movie and it seemed that they hadn't just dismissed the film as many people had speculated. Sorry, I though I maid that clear.