Should Peter Pan be on Broadway/Ice/Play?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

Would You Enjoy Disney's Peter Pan on stage

Haven't we've seen enough fairies? (No)
29%
I love this idea! Why hasn't Disney done it? (Yes)
38%
Yeah, um, I really don't know. (Undecided)
33%

Total votes: 21

UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Should Peter Pan be on Broadway/Ice/Play?

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I never ever understood why Disney never took Peter Pan to stage. It's probaly the most obvious choice. But I do think Peter Pan would be better as a traveling show, kinda like the new Magic Show. What do you think?

P.S. If you have any ideas for other Broadway/Ice/Play shows, post them here.
memnv
Collector's Edition

Post by memnv »

I dont know if it was Disney who took Pan to stage,gotta remember its not a Disney story
Dark Knight Rulez
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

memnv wrote:I dont know if it was Disney who took Pan to stage,gotta remember its not a Disney story
I'm kinda confused with your statement there, but I think I understand it well enough. James M. Barrie wrote the play, Peter Pan, a few years later he wrote the book Peter Pan and Wendy (which of course today we know as Peter Pan). Before Barrie died he left the rights to Peter Pan to a children's hospital in London. So, the rights belong to that hospital. But this is a somewhat confusing part for me because I believe that Disney had to get the rights for Peter Pan from the hospital to make Walt Disney's Peter Pan, but does that mean that to do a play about Peter Pan or do a movie about Peter Pan (ex: Hook), you have to have confirmation to do it by the hospital? I also think Disney has the right to use their Peter Pan character in their projects without the confirmation from the hospital. I hope I'm right.

P.S. You can tell I don't want to be a lawyer.
brotherbear
Special Edition

Post by brotherbear »

I said No. We have to remember that there already ARE numerous productions out there for Peter Pan, including the original. I have even seen a production that (I think was called "Peter and Wendy", or maybe just "Wendy", something like that) where they took the whole idea of peter pan and played it out through puppets. It was one of the coolest off-broadway shows I have ever seen!

I think there are so many other Disney movies that should have either broadway or off broadway shows. For example, I thought for a LONG time that Disney should create broadway shows for Aladdin and The Little Mermaid (but, as we know, TLM is coming out this year ( :x I actually had ideas on staging for TLM, as well as Aladdin but someone beat me to the idea. :cry: (and this was years before I knew they were even putting these on broadway)). And Disney's supposedly creating a script for Aladdin. I think that Mulan might make a really neat Broadway production, maybe also Hunchback.

-BB
MY "FAB FOUR": 1- FANTASIA, 2- THE LION KING, 3- BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, 4- THE JUNGLE BOOK

gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

I believe it was around 1990 that Peter Pan on ice toured. It was a great show as I recall.
numba1lostboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by numba1lostboy »

Peter Pan, was, at one point, a Disney On Ice production. I remember, because my mom took my to it when I was little and I was terrified. I don't know why, but I was. My mom was not happy. :P

Peter Pan is already a musical. It isn't produced by Disney, but its there.
I don't think Disney should make one, anyway. For starters, Peter Pan doesn't have that many songs in it, and the ones that are in it aren't really broadway-ish. They would have to write A LOT of new lyrics. And then there's the added challenge of creating flight without looking cheesy.
:pan: Love It.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

numba1lostboy wrote:Peter Pan, was, at one point, a Disney On Ice production. I remember, because my mom took my to it when I was little and I was terrified. I don't know why, but I was. My mom was not happy. :P

Peter Pan is already a musical. It isn't produced by Disney, but its there.
I don't think Disney should make one, anyway. For starters, Peter Pan doesn't have that many songs in it, and the ones that are in it aren't really broadway-ish. They would have to write A LOT of new lyrics. And then there's the added challenge of creating flight without looking cheesy.
I didn't say I would like it on Broadway. Actually, I agree. Peter Pan on Broadway would be terrible. I just think Disney should use their verison of Peter Pan and make it a traveling production. Sure, they'd add new songs and dialogue, but they do that for the Broadway plays, also. One more thing, Little Mermaid is almost more challenging than Peter Pan's special effects, but they're doing it.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

Sure, but AFTER Aladdin!
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
memnv
Collector's Edition

Post by memnv »

Peter Pan was on Broadway,Sandy Duncan played Peter Panand I believe it was a hit
Dark Knight Rulez
candydog
Gold Classic Collection

Post by candydog »

To be honest - no for broadway at least. Peter Pan makes a great stage play, as that it how it was originally written. I think of it as a great disney film, but not a great "musical" film like Mary Poppins or Beauty and the Beast. However, not everything on Broadway has to be a musical. Besides I had the same feelings about Tarzan and that was turned into a musical. Albeit not Disney's most successful one.

As for disney on ice, yes there was a touring peter pan on ice around the early 90s, but more recently, the disney on ice show: "Mickey and Minnie's Magical Journey", has included a condensed yet fairly detailed version of film, to which most of the first act is devoted. I thought it was perhaps the best segment of the show along with The little Mermaid.

Hope this Helps!

P.S. It would be great if disney went back to producing full ice shows of Disney films like they used to, rather than the "Disney Mix" ice shows touring today. I don't know if this will ever happen again, but who knows...
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

memnv wrote:Peter Pan was on Broadway,Sandy Duncan played Peter Panand I believe it was a hit
Yes, and two decades before that, Mary Martin starred in the role. More recently it has been a stage hit for Cathy Rigby, the former gymnast turned musical star. However, those are all versions of the original Broadway musical, not the Disney version. I don't think it would work well as a Disney production primarily because there is not enough Disney music from the movie, and the original Broadway musical is so well known as a play.
TheCaucus

Post by TheCaucus »

I saw a Disney on Ice show a few years ago and there was a Peter Pan segment. I remember being impressed but back then I was an excitable little boy and everything Disney did was gold.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

would be great as a Disneyland stage production. Not Broadway or on Ice... that would just end up being cheesy....
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Like a few people mentioned, Disney on Ice did <i>Peter Pan</i> around 1990 or so. I won a storywriting contest along with some other local kids, the prize being tickets to the show, and we got to attend a little pre-show party and meet the cast beforehand. I remember it being a pretty dang awesome show, even if the fact that the actress playing Wendy signed her real name in my Disney World autograph book (as opposed to her character name) sobered the experience a bit.
Last edited by pinkrenata on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
rb_canadian181
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rb_canadian181 »

I can't wait for TLM on Broadway, if only BATB would stay and Hunchback would come from Berlin...I heard Aladdin is a broadway project possibility but i'm not sure how Peter Pan would do. They wanted to do Pinocchio but that project was cancelled...
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

Aren't there millions of Peter Pan plays that more or less use Disney's version?
That's hot.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

memnv wrote:I dont know if it was Disney who took Pan to stage,gotta remember its not a Disney story
Well, they did take it to the ice once a long time ago (via Disney On Ice). I actually saw that show. I was just a little guy back then.
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

Prudence wrote:Aren't there millions of Peter Pan plays that more or less use Disney's version?
Well, actually there are many versions of Peter Pan, including Disney's, that are all based on J.M. Barrie's original play. It shows the power of Disney's brand when people think others are copying Disney and forget the origins of a story or play.
Disneyfreak1990
Special Edition

Post by Disneyfreak1990 »

i think it would be good.
what i think should become a Brodway Production/Musical:
Snow White, i just loved that Disneyland version of it and i think it should go to Brodway.
Alladin, same reason as Snow White.
Hunchback, they already have the script and stuff all they need to do is bring it to america.
Animazement, i loved that Production they did at Disneyland when i was little but it focused to much on the new movies.
Pocahontas, they actually have plans for it but are haveing trouble with Colors of the Wind and the ending. they should just change the color of the background for Colors of the Wind. the ending i'm not sure.
Pirates of the Caribbean, hey with it being so popular it makes sence to put it on Brodway but not as a musical since that would make people gag.
Cinderella, this would be a nice choice since it's popular and familiar songs to everyone.

What i think would be HORRIBLE on Brodway as a Production/Musical:
Alice In Wonderland, barf-a-rama alert.
Dumbo
Fox and the Hound
Bambi, just imagine all the kids faces when Bambi's mom gets killed on stage :o :shock: :( :cry:

Have a nice day. :)