The Fox and the Hound: 25th Anniversary Ed. DVD - Fact Sheet

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

PatrickvD wrote:wasn't there some mystery surrounding the movie's OAR? what's the correct one and what's the aspect ratio on the Gold Collection disc? My region 2 NL disc is foolscreen..
From the review on this site:
The movie is presented in the aspect ratio of 1.33:1. A source of some confusion is whether or not this is the original aspect ratio. Information on this subject is scarce, and it’s additionally difficult to believe it’s a Pan-and-Scan job considering the DVD releases of the Disney animated titles from the same time period are all exhibited in their original ratio. There are no signs of distinct cropping, so the original frame probably wasn’t much wider than 1.33:1. However, the packaging states that the transfer has been modified from its original version, formatted to fit standard television screens. Therefore, it can be assumed that 1:33.1 is not the original ratio. (For more information on this issue, please visit Original Aspect Ratio.)
jamminjake245 wrote:Also, what does OAR stand for?
Click the link in the last line of the article... Basically, OAR is the Original Aspect Ratio as shown in theaters. Since movies are usually widescreen with different dimensions than normal TVs, to show a widescreen movie on a normal TV you need to either put black bars at the top and bottom of the image, or you need to crop the sides of the image to fit it within the TV.
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

DisneyVillains
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyVillains »

Pasta67 wrote:As long as the movie's remastered, I don't really care what we get. But this is a speculation thread, so I'm hoping for a standard making-of, trailers, and a voice actor featurette. That's really all it takes to satisfy me for this release, since F&tH isn't really on my list of "gotta-know-everything-about-it" classics. But knowing Disney, we won't even get that much.
My thoughts exactly. As long as the picture is great and a decent "Making of" is included than I will be happy. Although there is something that is appealing about having a 2 Disc DVD release
Good news anyway. Now all we need is Hunchback and Lilo & Stitch news and my year will be complete
I was thinking this too. When I saw that this was a release in the Summer I immediately thought that we could still have a chance for Hunchback to coincide with The Little Mermaid. I wonder if we could be lucky enough to get this many Animated classics in one year. If the Lilo and Stitch date holds true than I am thinking we could get Dumbo in June, Lilo and Stitch in July, Fox and the Hound in August and TLM and Hunchback in October. That would be great
"I admit that in the past I've been a nasty. They weren't kidding when they called me, well, a witch"
-Ursula

"How sentimental. You know I haven't been this choked up since I got a hunk of moussaka caught in my throat."-Hades
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

DisneyVillains wrote:I was thinking this too. When I saw that this was a release in the Summer I immediately thought that we could still have a chance for Hunchback to coincide with The Little Mermaid. I wonder if we could be lucky enough to get this many Animated classics in one year. If the Lilo and Stitch date holds true than I am thinking we could get Dumbo in June, Lilo and Stitch in July, Fox and the Hound in August and TLM and Hunchback in October. That would be great
Now that I think about it, Hunchback this year probably wouldn't be the best thing for people looking for a good re-release. I mean, we've got Lilo & Stitch, The Little Mermaid, Dumbo, and now The Fox & the Hound. Each of these requires a pretty large amount of time to undergo restoration (Well, a GOOD restoration), plus, they'd have to put together some bonus material, which would take quite some time as well. Now, L&S already has good audio/video quality, since it's a recent movie, and it has more than enough bonus material to get a spectacular re-release (bonus material that is on DVDs that aren't in the US), but that still leaves three classics that must be restored. So, Disney's already got to do that with three classics, and I assume most of Disney's time will be spent on The Little Mermaid, so if Disney wanted to do Hunchback along with the other releases, all of these sets would most likely get a rushed effort, which nobody wants.

I'd rather wait another year for a good, non-rushed, re-release of Hunchback than get a crappy re-release this year. Plus, Disney could always do what they did for L&tT and re-release Hunchback as a 10th Anniversary Edition next year, even though it's a year late.

I'm starting to ramble, so we now return you to your regularly scheduled Fox & the Hound discussion....
- John
BATBfan1
Terminated

Post by BATBfan1 »

Evil Genie Jafar wrote:
BATBFan1 wrote:
I am so upgrading because I love this film and it's my age and I was born on that year. :)

Me too. This another reason why I want to see the movie. God bless 1981!.
:lol:
you said it. ;)
Spongebob Squarepants
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Spongebob Squarepants »

I can't wait for this! This is truly a Disney classic!
"That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus,and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved"-Romans 10:9.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Pasta67 wrote:Now that I think about it, Hunchback this year probably wouldn't be the best thing for people looking for a good re-release. I mean, we've got Lilo & Stitch, The Little Mermaid, Dumbo, and now The Fox & the Hound. Each of these requires a pretty large amount of time to undergo restoration (Well, a GOOD restoration), plus, they'd have to put together some bonus material, which would take quite some time as well.
IIRC, they already had a lot of bonus features prepped for Hunchback (mainly laserdisc ports), but decided instead to scale it down to the paltry release we have rigiht now.

Anyways, about the Fox & Hound aspect ratio, aside from what's been explained here, Disney themselves have been tinkering with the packaging to only further confuse us:

1. Originally it had been "1.33:1 Aspect Ratio" with a blurb at the bottom saying the usual "Formatted to fit your screen".

2. Then in August of last year (I remember cause I noticed it when I compared a couple copies), they changed it to "1.33:1 Original Theatrical Aspect Ratio" and removed the "formatted..." blurb. They also removed the mentioning of a "Let's Be Friends" booklet, since they stopped making them a year or two earlier.

3. Then later in the fall, when they changed all the metallic gold banners to standard gold/yellow, it was changed yet again to "1.33:1 Original Aspect Ratio", removing the word "Theatrical" and again the "formatted..." blurb is nowhere to be seen.

Anyways, if it's a 2-disc or a single-disc, I'm definitely buying it. It's easily in my top 15 favorites. My one gripe though is that the reason it's being re-released is to help promote The Fox and the Hound 2. If a sequel is what it takes to re-release the classics in better DVD editions, then by all means, Disney, go ahead! Make Robin Hood 2, The Black Cauldron 2, Oliver & Company 2, and The Rescuers 3!

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Tarzan.
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tarzan. »

I will buy this movie definitely because this is a great classic and I love it. The only problem is that now I'm afraid, because I'm thinking that maybe Disney is replacing The Hunchback of Notre Dame with this release.
hostile7teen

Post by hostile7teen »

I am very exited about this release, too!

I loved this as a kid. Can't wait!
anger is pointless
Special Edition

Post by anger is pointless »

i hope they make up thier minds about the oar lol cause id like to know what it really is
GO WIDE SCREEN AND SEE THE WHOLE MOVIE THE WAY IT WAS INTENDED
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

I'm not a huge fan of The Fox and the Hound; for years it was actually my least favourite Disney film. However, my animosity towards the film has died down recently, and I must say that as long as the picture is okay and the bonus features are fine, I'll buy. Hopefully this 25th Anniversary Edition is a 2 disc version, but I feel in all honesty that it's not going to happen.
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

There's only one OAR, and you can see it with your own eyes, instead of believing what is printed on a box.

1.33 was last used for theatrical movies in the Silent era, and 1.37 came into disuse 25 years later, you wouldn't think any theater was showing movies in 1.33 in 1981? ;)
Noodle

Post by Noodle »

Oh wow,this looks awesome :) ! I can't wait for this,i love this movie.I have been trying to get the DVD for ages now :roll: :) .
anger is pointless
Special Edition

MinnieMe wrote:Ok I bought but that was irritating.

Looks more like an advertisement than cover art to me.

So no one else has to register for no reason:

is this the cover art for the 25th anniversary edition

the wording is awful big but the picture is cute
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

anger is pointless wrote:is this the cover art for the 25th anniversary edition

the wording is awful big but the picture is cute
I wouldn't doubt that the cover art may look similar, but i heavily doubt that this is the cover art. I bet the font will stay the same and that the two characters will be playing around that log, but the fact that there is a review in the center of the picture is a dead give away that this is just advertisement. it's an exciting look as to what we may get though!
anger is pointless
Special Edition

poor copper looks horible on that picture but tod looks ok
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

anger is pointless wrote:poor copper looks horible on that picture but tod looks ok
Except for the fact that his face is obscured by the log...

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

i'm thinking for the actual cover art they will make both character's faces clearly seen as well.
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

I hoping it's some variation of this image, which it probably will be if that ad is anything to go by. Just imagine that with a "25th Anniversary Edition" banner, the side characters in the background instead of the bear, and a big ol' sticker that says "If you look to your left, you should see the sequel to this movie on the shelf as well. Please buy that while you're at it." and BAM, you've got one heckuva cover.

Either that or this image. Y'know, to pretty up your DVD shelf a little.
- John
Tarzan.
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tarzan. »

I can't wait to see the real cover for this movie. I think that it will have some of the art that was used on the old VHS cover.
Last edited by Tarzan. on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.