The Little Mermaid: Platinum Edition DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

PatrickvD wrote:
For the simple fact that it is the most popular Disney film of all.
I thought "The Lion King" was the most popular. TLM has proven it sells better, but you can also take into account that it is a Princess movie, and those generally sell better. I personally prefer TLM to TLK, but from what I've seen, the general conscensus says that TLK is more widely acknowledged as the most popular.
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

^ Not necessarily. We must take into account that times change, and with it the acceptance of movies. I'm not saying Lion King isn't loved anymore, but it may seem a bit dated to the younger crowd. It's reliance on modern-day personalities of characters* certainly makes it age faster, as does the pop music.

* Take Simba for example - A typical 90s kid. Nala too.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

I actually don't think Mermaid could top TLK's 7.9 million copies (it sold this amount by the end of 2003). I think we're gonna see something around that number. Maybe 7 million... I also think that it will eventually be the 2nd most selling platinum (even after PP, SB, TJB etc are out).
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

Maybe it will outsell TLK, since, as a lot of people have said, it IS the most requested DisneyDVD title ever.
If it will be number one of the PE, the other ones coming out won't be able to top that, since TLM is one of the Fab Four, which (except Aladdin) sell extremly well, better than any other Disney movies.
Plus, she is the most popular oof the Princesses.
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

If The Little Mermaid continues to do so well and surpases all the other Platinums in terms of units sold, hopefully when its released again in 7-10 years (Perhaps a 30th anniversary edition in 2019 [HOLY CRAP, ILL BE 32!!!]) they'll go ALL OUT in terms of extras and stuff like that (4 disc edition, anyone? lol) and perhaps we will see a theatrical re-release next time around...

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Dang it! When's my Mermaid DVD going to arrive by post? :( I've rotted my insides from waiting.
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

You don't have it yet?! Where did you order it?
I'm so sorry. I guess we're all making your mouth water :lol:
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

xxhplinkxx wrote:If The Little Mermaid continues to do so well and surpases all the other Platinums in terms of units sold, hopefully when its released again in 7-10 years (Perhaps a 30th anniversary edition in 2019 [HOLY CRAP, ILL BE 32!!!]) they'll go ALL OUT in terms of extras and stuff like that (4 disc edition, anyone? lol) and perhaps we will see a theatrical re-release next time around...
LOL but first we are going to see a 25th Anniversary release in 2014 (coinciding with the 7-year mortarium rule).
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Vanessa Dying Her Hair and Sebastain Burping?

Post by Disney Duster »

Okay two things:
Did anyone else notice that Vanessa's hair changes from black to brown in the newly restored movie?

And on the web site they are offering a "Burping Sebastian" Desktop download. When does Sebastian burp in the movie? I also read that there was a commercial for The Little Mermaid that had him burping. What burp?!
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

I remember him hicupping at some point... Maybe that's the burp?
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

PatrickvD wrote:I've said it from the beginning, that Little Mermaid would become the top selling Platinum eidition. For the simple fact that it is the most popular Disney film of all.

It grew its original fanbase on home video and it continues to show its appeal in that market, only now through dvd.
Not exactly. Look at the article MerXAN quoted, and it actually claims that part of it's success is fact it could be downloaded from iTunes for $12.99.

Which I believe as well. Had Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King had this advantage during their releases, I could see both of them making just as much, if not more.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

At 85 pages long, I'm going to "86" this thread. Don't worry, it will still exist and be readable, but any new contributions should be made to this thread:

The Little Mermaid: Platinum Edition - DVD Discussion, Part 2
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=16793

I've started the new thread off with 10 new screencaps from the DVD, which you can see here.