The Little Mermaid: Platinum Edition DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

I can't wait until this release :D. I've been watching my old Masterpeice VHS tape lately to hold me over until the release. Wonderlicious I love your ideas for the DVD. Disney will probally do a simmilar thing with the labeling of sections on the DVD--for example Ursula's Lair for the deleted material would be just like The Queen's Dungeon on the Snow White DVD. Wow I love this Press Release :roll:. I'm glad to see that every single store in the country will be attacked by Mermaid merchandise. Hopefully the DVD has bonus features :lol:
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

oh i'm definitely gonna get this one, october seems like so far away though :lol:
DisneyFan05

Post by DisneyFan05 »

The Little Mermaid is coming to DVD?! I had NO idea. It is my favorite animated classic. It isn't coming out until October? Oh well. I can wait until then. I'll just watch my VHS Masterpiece tape.
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

The Little Mermaid-The Official Website is open!

Post by MadonnasManOne »

I just wanted to point out that The Little Mermaid-The Official Website is now open. It currently only features Order Now and View Trailer options, but, it is a start!

http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/anima ... /home.html

Come on, October!
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

New Little Mermaid news including questionable aspect ratio

Post by Jake Lipson »

DavisDVD is reporting new information on The Little Mermaid -- deleted scenes, a making of doccumentary and Hans Christian Anderson featurette (nice) plus the usual game and sequel promos, and more. (For some reason I can't copy their text over here.) But what catches my eye most is that they are currently saying it will be presented in <b>1.78:1</b> anamorphic widescreen. But this should be 1.66:1!

What's up here? Is Disney's press information faulty or are they tinkering with the ARs like they did for King of Thieves and Pooh's Grand Adventure? Those both disappointed me a lot, but at least they were direct-to-video titles of not much significance. If on the other hand this reformatting stuff gets on such a top shelf title as THE LITTLE MERMAID, then we've got a SERIOUS problem.

*sigh* Thoughts?
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: New Little Mermaid news including questionable aspect ra

Post by Escapay »

Jake Lipson wrote: But what catches my eye most is that they are currently saying it will be presented in <b>1.78:1</b> anamorphic widescreen. But this should be 1.66:1!

What's up here? Is Disney's press information faulty or are they tinkering with the ARs like they did for King of Thieves and Pooh's Grand Adventure?
Maybe it's the same case as Beauty and the Beast and Hunchback of Notre Dame (1.66:1 films matted at 1.85:1). Perhaps 1.78:1 is the theatrical aspect ratio and the makers wanted to present the film in that aspect ratio as opposed to the full 1.66:1 frame.

Of course I'd guess it's probably Disney's press information being faulty. The only way we can be certain of what's actually on the disc these days is from a thorough review of the disc.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Post by Lucylover1986 »

I'm sure it's just a mistake. The first official press release about this couldn't even get the "Poor Unfortunate Souls" song name correct.
brotherbear
Special Edition

Post by brotherbear »

DavisDVD also gave a new high-res photo of TLM cover art.....looks like we're going to have to live through fastplay...again (as it says on the spine of the cover...)

I kind of liked the old art better...what do you guys think?
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Comparison:

While it's not as cluttered or messy as the previous, it's still got all the characters looking...not quite how they're supposed to. And that spotlight behind Flounder should be removed. Won't say anything about the sea, I had enough arguments with that...

The spine shows it'll have FastPlay. So I'll go hide as the wrath of UDers against FastPlay begins...

Escapay
Last edited by Escapay on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

I agree with Escapay on the aspect ratio issue. Besides, even in the 1.78:! ratio, you're seeing a bit more of the top and bottom than you did with the 1.85:1 ratio from the Limited Issue disc. As for the cover art, I believe they'll still be sticking with the older one. Notice how in the thumbnail on DavisDVD's site, you can see King Triton in the corner again, and the logo's smaller. The thumbnail is too bright and touched up to just be another scan of the art found in the Disney Insider booklet. For some reason, Disney alters their cover art for publicity. Notice that on DVDActive.com, Dumbo's cover art has Timothy and the Ringmaster removed to make room for the "Limited Time only" banner. Its logo, like Little Mermaid's, is also blown up.

One thing I find odd is that on DavisDVD's site, they describe the Virtual DVD game as based on the Disney Imagineering ride. Huh? Is there a Little Mermaid ride in the works that I haven't heard about? I know a dark ride was planned for Disneyland Paris, but that got shelved. Or is this based on some sort of Little Mermaid simulator ride at DisneyQuest (I've never been inside, so I don't know)?

This is what DavisDVD is reporting:

* Deleted Scenes
* "The Making of Disney's The Little Mermaid" Documentary (this will probably have a more clever name by the time the disc comes out)
* "The Story Behind the Story" Hans Christian Anderson Featurette
* The Little Mermaid Virtual Ride (based on the Disney Imagineering ride)
* All-New Music Video (who's performing it and what it's a cover of hasn't been specified, yet)
* Sneak-Peek at The Little Mermaid III (................)
* Much more (this better include a commentary, galleries, and trailers)
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Disneykid wrote: * "The Making of Disney's The Little Mermaid" Documentary (this will probably have a more clever name by the time the disc comes out)
Probably something with one of the song titles... like "Part of Our World: The Making of Disney's The Little Mermaid" or "Watch and You'll See: The Making of Disney's The Little Mermaid". Would love to see it be called "Poor Unfortunate Souls: A shorter-than-it-should-be-though-you-paid-good-money-for-it Making of Disney's The Little Mermaid"

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

No Disney, no no no! :brick:

I really hope that new cover is only a promo picture. This is the first time Disney actually put the Platinum Edition banner on the high-res art. And I hate how they used Arial font! That is so last minute.

I believe that it is a promo picture because the artwork from DVDActive for Dumbo is zoomed into the one Disney sent Luke. I hope that is what happened here. :(
brotherbear
Special Edition

Post by brotherbear »

I agree with Escapay..the characters look a little off....Ursula has too much eyeshadow...and I definately don't remember Sebastian having yellow eyes...

but what really bothers me is that they have now changed it to where there is virtually NO ocean at all....i liked it a lot better when the cover was almost split in half between life under the sea and above it...

Magicalwands- I hope you're right.....I hope this is a promo, and not the actual cover...
totallyminnie86
Gold Classic Collection

Post by totallyminnie86 »

Oh my goodness will disney please realize that sebastian does NOT have yellow eyes.... :roll:
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

Apparently all of their Little Mermaid merchandise has Sebastian with yellow eyes. I think the Disney executives might all have a blindness problem for seeing white as yellow.
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Post by Lucylover1986 »

totallyminnie86 wrote:Oh my goodness will disney please realize that sebastian does NOT have yellow eyes.... :roll:
I didn't even realize that they did that. Now it's bothering me every time I look at that cover. :lol:
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Oh wow. So much news. I've kind of been out of the loop the last few days with personal issues, but that is magnificent.

Although I own the Limited Edition from a few years back, this is my most anticipated title of the year I think. Now I know there will be a Gift Set, even more excited :)

Thanks for the news, fellas.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Post by Lucylover1986 »

Luke just posted on the front page that the cover art is the same as before. That new one is just going to be on Amazon.com for example. Disney has been sending these zoomed in covers lately so it's easier to see what the DVD looks like. These are used in sales ads for example. Click on the Home Improvement cover for example in the upcoming DVD release section and you'll see the picture being sent to the sales ads. It has big bold season four wording across the bottom but you're actually going to be getting the one shown in the thumbnail.
azul017
Special Edition

Post by azul017 »

Disneykid wrote:
* Deleted Scenes
* "The Making of Disney's The Little Mermaid" Documentary (this will probably have a more clever name by the time the disc comes out)
* "The Story Behind the Story" Hans Christian Anderson Featurette
* The Little Mermaid Virtual Ride (based on the Disney Imagineering ride)
* All-New Music Video (who's performing it and what it's a cover of hasn't been specified, yet)
* Sneak-Peek at The Little Mermaid III (................)
* Much more (this better include a commentary, galleries, and trailers)
I like the extras they have, and I know this will include a commentary by Ron Clements and John Musker (because they did one for Aladdin and Treasure Planet too).

I'm really not interested in who's doing a new cover of a TLM song, because it most likely will suck, nor the DTV sequel for that matter (the first sequel was bad enough). Otherwise, the extras and packaging look good.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
I hate this! The DVD has FastPlay! I hate it!!!!!!
I will be buying the Gift Set. This will be the first time that I will buying the Gift Set. I've always just bought the DVD, and then bought the Gift Set. Oh well, I can't wait, all of the bonus features sound FANTASTIC! Still wish that it didn't have FastPlay. The cover looks awesome, even though it looks a little crowded. CAN'T WAIT!!!
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/