The Little Mermaid: Platinum Edition DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Aladdin from Agrabah
Special Edition

Post by Aladdin from Agrabah »

What is sure to come is a double pack, with the PE along with the sequel's special edition. I would like it to be a trilogy, though! :)
Anyway, the fact that they didn't arrange the movie's rerelease along with a new sequel's release, probably means that we are never gonna see a third LM movie. I know that many people hate sequels but I really wanna see a new LM movie.
Tarzan.
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tarzan. »

Aladdin from Agrabah wrote:What is sure to come is a double pack, with the PE along with the sequel's special edition. I would like it to be a trilogy, though! :)
Anyway, the fact that they didn't arrange the movie's rerelease along with a new sequel's release, probably means that we are never gonna see a third LM movie. I know that many people hate sequels but I really wanna see a new LM movie.
I think that they are making a new sequel called The Little Mermaid Reflections and you can find this information on the upcoming releases
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Tarzan. wrote:I think that they are making a new sequel called The Little Mermaid Reflections and you can find this information on the upcoming releases
A new sequel is supposedly in production, but it's not coming out this fall. "Little Mermaid Reflections" apparently refers to a whole line of products tied into the DVD release. I'm thinking if the long-known title bearing that name does indeed surface, it will be episodes of the TV show or something.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

little mermaid animator

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

does anyone know who animated ariel?? I've been wanting to know. Is it Glen Keane? :? :? Please tell me! I'd really like to know. Thanks!
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Post by Lucylover1986 »

Luke wrote:A new sequel is supposedly in production, but it's not coming out this fall.
We really don't need another one. The 2nd one was ok but there's really no good direction for a 3rd one. My suggestion would be for it to be a prequel set before the first one so we could get Ariel to be the main character again. Ursula could be in it again then too but would have to be in disguise around Ariel since Ariel doesn't meet Ursula until the first one.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Lucylover1986 wrote:
Luke wrote:A new sequel is supposedly in production, but it's not coming out this fall.
We really don't need another one. The 2nd one was ok but there's really no good direction for a 3rd one. My suggestion would be for it to be a prequel set before the first one so we could get Ariel to be the main character again. Ursula could be in it again then too but would have to be in disguise around Ariel since Ariel doesn't meet Ursula until the first one.
That sounds like a good idea! A prequel would be good maybe to show what life was like for Ariel. Maybe they would show her mom. :D
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Aladdin from Agrabah wrote:What is sure to come is a double pack, with the PE along with the sequel's special edition.
Cinderella II: Dreams Come True didn't get an R1 re-issue with the Cinderella PE (R2 did though), and neither did Belle's Enchanted Christmas with BATB PE.

Then again, Lion King got its two sequels out months after its PE release, as did Aladdin and Bambi...

So we may (thankfully) not get a double pack of the PE and the sequel when the PE comes out...but the sequel may (unfortunately) come out a few months later as a brand-spankin'-new Special Edition.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Post by Lucylover1986 »

Yeah just like Lady & The Tramp II is coming out in a few months again. No double pack though.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Lucylover1986 wrote:Yeah just like Lady & The Tramp II is coming out in a few months again. No double pack though.
Oh yeah, forgot about that one. Is there going to be any new features or is it just a simple re-issue of the OOP edition? I've already got it, and it doesn't seem like a double-dip-worthy titlte.

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Tarzan.
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tarzan. »

TheSequelofDisney wrote:
Lucylover1986 wrote: We really don't need another one. The 2nd one was ok but there's really no good direction for a 3rd one. My suggestion would be for it to be a prequel set before the first one so we could get Ariel to be the main character again. Ursula could be in it again then too but would have to be in disguise around Ariel since Ariel doesn't meet Ursula until the first one.
That sounds like a good idea! A prequel would be good maybe to show what life was like for Ariel. Maybe they would show her mom. :D
They also should show how and why Ursula was exiled from the palace.
my chicken is infected
Anniversary Edition

Post by my chicken is infected »

Escapay wrote:and neither did Belle's Enchanted Christmas with BATB PE
Yes it did. :?
-Joey
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

my chicken is infected wrote:
Escapay wrote:and neither did Belle's Enchanted Christmas with BATB PE
Yes it did. :?
Silly me, I should've been more clear.

So far, none of the Platinums with sequels have had the sequel come out at the same time as the Platinum title.

Snow White - no sequel
Beauty and the Beast - Enchanted Christmas came a month afterwards
The Lion King - 1 1/2 came in...January? And TLK2 came in August
Aladdin - 2-pack came in January
Bambi - Bambi II came a whole year afterward
Cinderella - sequel was only re-released in R2, it's still OOP in R1.
Lady and the Tramp - LATTII:SA is coming out later, but not at the same time as LATT
The Little Mermaid - AFAWK, there are no plans to re-release the sequel?

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Post by Lucylover1986 »

The Little Mermaid II will probably come out again right before Christmas if it does get re-released. We didn't find out about the Lady & The Tramp II re-release until very recently so there's still plenty of time to put this together. No sequel to a Platinum has come out the same day as the Platinum as you said but no other Disney DVDs at all get released the same day.
Disney Live On
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney Live On »

THE TRAILER IS UP ON THE INTERNET.
JUST GO TO WWW.THELITTLEMERMAIDDVD.COM!
HURRY ITS FANTASTIC!!!
Disney Live On
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney Live On »

Sorry the address is www.thelittlemermaiddvd.com
without the ! I added to the end. Didn't realize the link would include that extra !

Enjoy!
Aladdin from Agrabah
Special Edition

Goodness!!!! What a beautiful site!!! The trailer was ok, too.
Now we can see the coverart much better!!! There's nothing there but the trailer, but I was sitting there just looking at it! ARIEL ROCKS!
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I have to say, now that you can see it up close on the site, this is the first time, for a platinum edition dvd, that on the cover art, all the characters are actually looking accurate and ON model.
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

Hmmm.. Am I the onl one who cant get acces to the trailer??

EDIT: Oh, now it works... beautyful trailer!!
Last edited by 271286 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aladdin from Agrabah
Special Edition

PatrickvD wrote:I have to say, now that you can see it up close on the site, this is the first time, for a platinum edition dvd, that on the cover art, all the characters are actually looking accurate and ON model.
I agree. Ursula's eyebrows though, should be a little thiner. And Triton's tail is blue, not turcoise.Of course, considering that the background is blue, his tail had to be a little diferent . I really like the way that they've drawn the waves, they're very realistic, and I would have liked them to be that way in the movie itself too. Ariel is just great, but I would like to see more of her tail.Maybe Ursula should be a little scarier. I wonder if there is a backcover painting, with Eric in it or something.
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

PatrickvD wrote:I have to say, now that you can see it up close on the site, this is the first time, for a platinum edition dvd, that on the cover art, all the characters are actually looking accurate and ON model.
I almost agree, I dont think Ariel looks right though...