French Dick Tracy "Edition Speciale". Any news?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
2099net
Signature Collection

French Dick Tracy "Edition Speciale". Any news?

Post by 2099net »

I have this on order in the same order as my French "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and "Treasure Planet" (and "Treasure Island") set (so the order is waiting for Treasure Planet to be released before being shipped) and I see Dick Tracy is released in France now.

As you can see the box clearly states "Edition Speciale" and I know for a fact that there as been a previous release of Dick Tracy in France. Do any European members know if this new release has any supplements? Amazon.fr don't list any.

It's not a disaster if it doesn't - I've been after Dick Tracy for a long time and it's quite a reasonable price. Just curious.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Well I got my French "Dick Tracy", "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and "Treasure Planet" set today.

The "Dick Tracy" disc is barebones so I'm not sure what "Edition Speciale" means exactly, and in a surprising move, seems to be exactly the same as the UK disc - the only subtitles listed are "English" and "English for the Hard of Hearing" (or so I assume from my rusty French). The film is widescreen, as presented at the cinema, but I was hoping a 4:3 version would be included too (I'm sure Warren Beatty has gone on record as saying a lot of the shots were composed for a 4:3 format - thus closer mimicking the "panel" of a comic strip.) Still if only one viewing option is available I'd rather have wide.

"Roger Rabbit" like the US release is on two discs (the UK release, believe it or not is going to be a single disc and missing extras - including the commentary!). However unlike the US release the film is only presented in 1.85:1 on disc 1 and "all" the extras are on disc 2. (Of course, the "Toontown Confidential" and commentary supplements are on disc 1).

As expected, the "Treasure Planet" set is a handsome package - the book especially filled with wonderful black and white images. "Treasure Island" is presented barebones, just like the recent US release (indeed, "Treasure Island" has been on release in Europe for some time as a barebones release).

I've not had anytime to actually play any of the discs. I will post a quick update on language issues sometime in the near future.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Thanks for the info. "Edition Speciale" is a real misnomer, then. Bummer. Fun movie, though. The R1 DTS track is pretty kickin'.

Good to see that the "Family-Friendly" Foolscreen doesn't need to be shoved down European throats, on Roger Rabbit. Putting that on Disc 1 of a Vista Series release here is just such a step backwards.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

As promised, here's the Language details on the discs:

Roger Rabbit - both discs allow the Disc's language to be selected (English or French) before showing the main menu. As far as I can see everything from the VISTA series release is included apart from the 4:3 transfer. I don't know if the trailer Easter Egg is present, as I never found it on the VISTA release.

Treasure Planet - again the language can be selected before the main menu is displayed. The disc seems to contain everything from the US release apart from the trailers and posters in the "Release" segment (this segment is totally missing).

Treasure Island - not much on this disc, everything is as expected. Initial language selection as on the previous two discs. The picture looks somewhat rough around the edges and there's some light print damage/dirt - I'm not sure if the European version is the "restored" transfer or not (remember it has been available in Europe for some time)

Dick Tracy - Goes straight into the movie with the English soundtrack. Can be changed from the disc's set-up menu.

All discs can have the initial language preference changed from their set-up menus after 'booting'. There are no forced subtitles.
TheMadHatter

Post by TheMadHatter »

2099net..

RE: French Treasure Island release.

Does the openning title have the same off-center matting job that the R1 version does?
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

TheMadHatter wrote:2099net..

RE: French Treasure Island release.

Does the openning title have the same off-center matting job that the R1 version does?
I'm not sure what this means. Can you explain more fully?