Walt Disney Treasures Wave 6 Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
mikemgmve
Gold Classic Collection

Post by mikemgmve »

Timon/Pumba fan wrote: I think SOTS will be placed along with "The Complete Pluto Volume 2" and "Disneyland U.S.A Part 2" and there's Wave 6 for ya!
If that ends up being true, it will be the 2nd wave I will be purchasing the all of. The other being the 2nd wave.
MinnieMe
Special Edition

Post by MinnieMe »

Timon/Pumba fan wrote:
MinnieMe wrote: On the subject of Song of the South being released as part of a treasure, the question arises: how would they fit it in with anything else?
Well that's the same story with "The Reluctant Dragon", but they ended up putting it onto the "Walt Disney Treasures: Behind The Walt Disney Studios". Even though there IS more than just RD, I personally think the only reason they even released that tin was just so RD could be in the Treasure series somehow.

I also believe SOTS will become a Treasure. I mean if Disney wanted to try avoid all controversy, and still sell SOTS to true Disney fans, the Treasure seems like to be the best deal IMO.

I think SOTS will be placed along with "The Complete Pluto Volume 2" and "Disneyland U.S.A Part 2" and there's Wave 6 for ya!
Well, "The Reluctant Dragon" itself included a live action tour of the Disney Studios in Burbank so I think it went perfectly with the Treasure. It didn't seem like it was just something stuck in there because they wanted to release it and it had nothing to do with the rest of the material. It also seemed like a Treasure that Walt would have loved the release of, even without the Reluctant Dragon on there.

If SotS WAS to be released as a Treasure (of course to bypass all this "controversy" you all speak of) what would they put with it? They at least had material to put with RD, if, in fact, the only reason for releasing the Behind The Scenes Treasure was to put RD on DVD.

Also, RD was FAR less well-known than SotS and there wasn't that much of a reason to HAVE to release it.

If I remember correctly, SotS was re-released in 1986 in theaters and did pretty well with no real commotion to speak of. I still don't think Disney could pass up a money maker like this DVD release and stick it in some Treasure. That's just my opinion though...
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

MinnieMe wrote:If SotS WAS to be released as a Treasure (of course to bypass all this "controversy" you all speak of) what would they put with it? They at least had material to put with RD, if, in fact, the only reason for releasing the Behind The Scenes Treasure was to put RD on DVD.
Probably some new featurettes (a general "the making of", along with featurettes about mixing live-action with animation, featurettes aboute the cast, a featurette about Joel Chandler Harris, and a featurette about the public's views on SOTS through the years), vintage segments from the Disneyland TV shows about SOTS, commentaries, trailers, and maybe the sister film, "So Dear To My Heart" (and its extras that are on the R2 disc)

But I still don't think that SOTS will be a treasure, mainly from a money standpoint. Disney stands to earn more money from SOTS as a general release as opposed to a limited release.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
MinnieMe
Special Edition

Post by MinnieMe »

Escapay wrote:
MinnieMe wrote:If SotS WAS to be released as a Treasure (of course to bypass all this "controversy" you all speak of) what would they put with it? They at least had material to put with RD, if, in fact, the only reason for releasing the Behind The Scenes Treasure was to put RD on DVD.
Probably some new featurettes (a general "the making of", along with featurettes about mixing live-action with animation, featurettes aboute the cast, a featurette about Joel Chandler Harris, and a featurette about the public's views on SOTS through the years), vintage segments from the Disneyland TV shows about SOTS, commentaries, trailers, and maybe the sister film, "So Dear To My Heart" (and its extras that are on the R2 disc)

But I still don't think that SOTS will be a treasure, mainly from a money standpoint. Disney stands to earn more money from SOTS as a general release as opposed to a limited release.

Escapay
Oh, I was thinking more of releasing SotS veiled in something else (ie like the Treasure with RD on it wasn't called "the Reluctant Dragon" it was called "Behind the Scenes..."). What you described just sounds like a lengthy platinum or an actual Song of the South Treasure.

I think maybe I just didn't understand what was being proposed.

Although I do still think (like you do, Escapay) that it will be released on it's own to make more $$.

Anyone else have any Hardy Boys opinions?? :wink:
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

MinnieMe wrote:Well, "The Reluctant Dragon" itself included a live action tour of the Disney Studios in Burbank so I think it went perfectly with the Treasure. It didn't seem like it was just something stuck in there because they wanted to release it and it had nothing to do with the rest of the material.
I tend to think that, apart from "The Reluctant Dragon", the "Behind the Scenes..." Treasure is first and foremost a whole set of extra material...
MinnieMe
Special Edition

Post by MinnieMe »

Lars Vermundsberget wrote:
MinnieMe wrote:Well, "The Reluctant Dragon" itself included a live action tour of the Disney Studios in Burbank so I think it went perfectly with the Treasure. It didn't seem like it was just something stuck in there because they wanted to release it and it had nothing to do with the rest of the material.
I tend to think that, apart from "The Reluctant Dragon", the "Behind the Scenes..." Treasure is first and foremost a whole set of extra material...
Very good point.
bcotter

Next Wave subjects

Post by bcotter »

The next Wave subjects have been picked and work is underway for a mid-2006 release. I can't release the titles yet, but I am taping segments on Saturday for two of them. I'll ask then if it's ok to announce them. I'm excited about this set of titles. Still no "Scarecrow", unfortunately, but some other stuff that should get folks excited.

Bill Cotter
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Next Wave subjects

Post by Escapay »

bcotter wrote:The next Wave subjects have been picked and work is underway for a mid-2006 release. I can't release the titles yet, but I am taping segments on Saturday for two of them. I'll ask then if it's ok to announce them. I'm excited about this set of titles. Still no "Scarecrow", unfortunately, but some other stuff that should get folks excited.

Bill Cotter
Coolness! If you can't tell us the titles yet, can you tell us how many there will be? Will it be like previous waves, and this one be 3 titles? Or are they actually gonna do a second consecutive wave of 4 titles this time?

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

Ah, Bill Cotter - I think that's a voice worth listening to! I'll listen carefully.
jebsdad
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Next Wave subjects

Post by jebsdad »

bcotter wrote:The next Wave subjects have been picked and work is underway for a mid-2006 release. I can't release the titles yet, but I am taping segments on Saturday for two of them. I'll ask then if it's ok to announce them. I'm excited about this set of titles. Still no "Scarecrow", unfortunately, but some other stuff that should get folks excited.

Bill Cotter
Hi Bill! Nice to see another post by you! Leonard Maltin did tell me that I will probably be very pleased about the contents of Wave 6 - although I hadn't heard they would be released earlier than the traditional first Tuesday of December.

I look forward to your taped segments.

One of your earlier posts mentioned you were transferring your video to DVD ... how many LIFETIMES will THAT take you???!!!

Take care...Jerry Edwards
bcotter

Post by bcotter »

Hi, Jerry! Long time no hear. I think the transfer will take longer than I first thought, by about a decade. I hope you're doing well.

There are 4 titles in the next Wave. The release date isn't finalized yet but they are further along in the cycle than they were for the last Wave, so they think it will be released earlier. Basically, the sets are produced by an outside company for Disney, so once the masters are done they're at the Mouse's mercy as far as the release date. Right now the content is locked on three of them and selection continues on some of the content on the 4th. The theme is set, and most of the stuff has been picked, but now it's verifying good transfers can be found or finished in time. Besides the two interviews I'm doing they've asked me to do some additional consulting on the project, so it's fun getting involved earlier in the process. I had helped make some suggestions on the pitch to Disney, and some made it, some didn't.

As said, I'll post more when they take off the gag, but the folks working on this stuff really do seem to care about the vintage Disney product. I never get the feeling they're just going through the motions. Sometimes they can't do everything they want due to budgets, etc., but they are Disney fans themselves. They realized there were some goofs on the last set and have asked me to help in that regard, so believe me, they do listen to fan feedback.

Take care

Bill
MikeyMouse
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MikeyMouse »

OK...I'm getting excited already, and I haven't even finished watching all the material on the '05 Wave!

Bill...thanks for your postings and keeping us up to date, I think I can speak for the whole board when I say we're looking forward to your next post.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

My word Bill, you certainly do know how to tease us!

Would it be against the rules if you *accidentally* sent me a private message with the contents for wave 6? :wink:
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fflewduur »

Hurrah! I'm so glad the next wave should be released before December...I hate having to wait a year between these releases, for one thing. I believe there's been another discussion elsewhere in this forum about how folks justify buying WDT releases for themselves so close to Christmas--another reason I'm glad we won't have to wait. (Sure, we could put them on our wish lists & wait for the 25th, but who wants to do that? Besides, around my household we do a lot of viewing marathons over the holidays & hours of vintage Disney are always part of the programme; it's always more fun when there's new material to include.)

I can't afford to be a completist, either in my overall collection or with the Treasures series. Mostly I focus on the animation. The best possibility for wave 6 I've yet to hear would be a second volume of Silly Symphonies...Mr. Cotter? Could you blink once for yes & twice for no?
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

ichabod wrote:My word Bill, you certainly do know how to tease us!

Would it be against the rules if you *accidentally* sent me a private message with the contents for wave 6? :wink:
And perhaps me? :D
bcotter

Post by bcotter »

I feel like I'm in an episode of "The Prisoner" with Patrick McGoohan:

Number 6: "Where am I?"
Number 2: "In the Village."
Number 6: "What do you want?"
Number 2: "Information."
Number 6: "Whose side are you on?"
Number 2: "That would be telling...we want information...information...information!"
Number 6: "You won't get it."
Number 2: "By hook or by crook, we will."
Number 6: "Who are you?"
Number 2: "The new Number Two."
Number 6: "Who is Number One?"
Number 2: "You are Number Six."
Number 6: "I AM NOT A NUMBER! I AM A FREE MAN!"

Sorry, no PMs - I don't want to blow the relationship with these folks. I'll yell the details out here first as soon as I can. I think I'm safe in saying two boxes will be animation and two will be live action.

Bill
mcduck
Limited Issue

Post by mcduck »

MinnieMe wrote:
mcduck wrote:I also hope they do a better job with the cases...
What do you mean by that? The tins, or the picture on the front?

I've actually never thought about the "cover art" of Treasures before (if that's what you mean) because they are usually so simple.

I was writing about the tins and the package in general...

Yes the art is not that attractive, neither look like vintage, although the gray in most of the cover gives it a serious look, but at this point the only things we can expect to change is the quality of the material i guess (the physical, not the content which is really good staff), I remember three years ago I did not know anything about the treasures, I saw them in sam’s club and they did not got my attention until one of those days when the curiosity make me take one and read about the content, that was last week I saw them in this big stores and I pay 20 dlls. a little bit longer and I wold have to pay a lot more for them....
That is because the art do not had the appeal I think, for those who do not know about the treasures.
For your reference and records my native language is Spanish.
FOREVER FIESTY
mcduck
Limited Issue

Post by mcduck »

bcotter wrote:
... I think I'm safe in saying two boxes will be animation and two will be live action.

Bill

That is good, since I like just the cartoons it should be nice for my budget have just two next wave... :D
For your reference and records my native language is Spanish.
FOREVER FIESTY
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fflewduur »

Is that really from "The Prisoner"? It reads like a Beckett play!

(Or perhaps Ionesco..but Beckett sounds funnier.)
MikeyMouse
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MikeyMouse »

OK, so two animation sets and two live action sets...

...predictions? C'mon...it'll be fun!

I think I concur with previous posts about "waiting" between waves for releasing volumes of the same series. That being said, here's my votes:

Animation:
Complete Pluto Vol. 2
Silly Symphonies Vol. 2

Live Action:
Another selection of "Walt Disney Presents" television shows...not really sure what it will be, but they've been pretty consistent with four (Disneyland, Davy Crocket, Tomorrowland, Elfego Baca/Swamp Fox) and two MMC sets, so you can bank on that

Since we're not getting "True Life Adventures", the last might be a little tricky to pick...might the second "Live Action" disc be SOTS?

hmmmmmm.........