Disney Buys Pixar

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
advance
Limited Issue

Post by advance »

Well, I hope that Pixar may keep to do their own thing like before, but if disney is gonna make everything out I think that than the quality of pixar movies will go down.
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

Wow, apparently some people here are better business persons than Steve Jobs. Little minds !!!! Pixar people will continue making excellent movies through Disney. Some pesimists here condemn every Disney act but own two or three movies. That means no standing to speak for some uncommited "fans."
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Little Red Henski wrote:There is at least one good thing about this merger a big 2D hater David Stainton is out! :thumb:
Why is that a good thing? What has the man ever done to you? And now you celebrate the loss of his job?

Yes, he oversaw the WDFA handdrawn shutdown, but Anybody who was taken on at that time would have had to do the same. It wasn't his decision, it was the board's.

Meanwhile, the films he has actually had enough input in to influence are only just coming out over the next few years.

As for 2D Hater. Do you really think Jobs is going to even consider starting up a 2D animation unit at Disney again?

Nobody should celebrate any loss of jobs.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Kenai
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Kenai »

advance wrote:Well, I hope that Pixar may keep to do their own thing like before, but if disney is gonna make everything out I think that than the quality of pixar movies will go down.
Um, why do you say that? :x
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

2099net wrote:Nobody should celebrate any loss of jobs.
That sentence could be read a bit differently with a capital J. :P

-Aaron
jwa1107
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jwa1107 »

PatrickvD wrote:If Lasseter (originally a traditional animator) is in charge of all Disney animation, I think it's safe to assume traditional animation will return to Disney. This is the best possible outcome ever.
AND in addition to tradtional 2D, this can only mean good things for the relationship with Studio Ghibli, since Lasseter and Miyazaki are such good friends
Kenai
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Kenai »

Jim Hill Media has an article today about the merger. And like me, he expresses lots of concerns of this deal. Mostly because of the price tag and the fact that Pixar's only made seven films compared to the close to 50 Disney's made.

Jim Hill actually seems to take Disney's side on this.
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

It's not surprising. He has become very pro-Disney, in almost every aspect. Anyway, since when does quantity = quality? I can name at least few movies that most people won't be bothered with to see, despite their "classic" title. I have full confidence in both Disney and Pixar's creative abilities.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Kenai wrote:Jim Hill actually seems to take Disney's side on this.
Actually, Disney just spent $7.4 billion to acquire Pixar, so I'm pretty sure he's not taking Disney's side. I would think (and hope) that they're more confident about the deal than he is, but then controversial articles is what he does to attract and keep readers. Let's just hope that is not the motivation for his unusual reaction to this deal.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

PatrickvD wrote:If Lasseter (originally a traditional animator) is in charge of all Disney animation, I think it's safe to assume traditional animation will return to Disney. This is the best possible outcome ever.
I don't think so Patrick.

First of all, pull out that Tron DVD and see how Lassiter rhapsodises about how he saw the animation potental in CGI even from those (now) crude images. See how he left traditional animation to experiment and follow his passion.

Secondly, Disney have still sold most of their 2D equipment in Feature Animation and are even shutting down the last of their "satellite" studios - DisneyToon Australia. Lassiter isn't a money man, and having spent $7bn + on Pixar, I can't see Disney rolling over and investing in 2D animation equipment any time soon considering they have just took ownership of the premiere Computer Animation Studio. Plus David Stainton had 14 years of working in handdrawn animation, yet that didn't save 2D at Disney.

Thirdly, Why do you think the "esteemed" Mr Jobs has engineered himself into this position at Disney? To go on a crusade to "save" handdrawn animation? Or perhaps because he wants to challenge and topple other mighty media corporations such as Sony and Warners? Knowing Mr Jobs, I know which reason I find most likely.

I strongly suggest everyone reads up on Mr Jobs at Wikipedia, and especially takes note of his unprecidented Disney stock holdings post takeover deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

2099net wrote:I strongly suggest everyone reads up on Mr Jobs at Wikipedia, and especially takes note of his unprecidented Disney stock holdings post takeover deal.

I strongly suggest that you realize that Wikipedia is NOT a source to be taken as accurate, considering that ANYONE, including me, can add, change, and delete information, at any time.

At any rate, we get it. You don't like Steve Jobs. Fine, that's your right, but you aren't going to change my mind. This is a good thing for Disney, and Pixar.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

MadonnasManOne wrote:
2099net wrote:I strongly suggest everyone reads up on Mr Jobs at Wikipedia, and especially takes note of his unprecidented Disney stock holdings post takeover deal.

I strongly suggest that you realize that wikipedia is NOT a source to be taken as accurate, considering that ANYONE, including me, can go and add, change, delete information, at any time.

At any rate, we get it. You don't like Steve Jobs. Fine, that's your right, but you aren't going to change my mind. This is a good thing for Disney, and Pixar.
Wikipedia isn't the only source. But that's not the issue.

The issue is how much control of Disney is going to Mr Jobs - like I say an unprecidented amount for the company - which would raise some concerns no matter who the reciepient was.

Secondly, nobody can deny that Mr Jobs has manipulated events over the past one of two years to get in this position. You can say what you want about Eisner et al, but he was pretty straightforward. Some may just dismiss Jobs' strategy as "good business sense" which, admittedly it was, but already cracks are beginning to show:

Remember how he often claimed "Pixar doesn't do sequels"? Well he's changing his tune now:
The new company also will ensure that the creators of Pixar's blockbuster movies will be the ones who make any sequels, a contractual right the Emeryville company didn't have with its past distribution agreement with Disney.
``There is no one better at making the sequel than those who made the first'' movie, Jobs said.
or
Neither Jobs nor Iger, during yesterday's conference call, would rule out or commit their new venture one way or anoother on the possibility of continued sequel production. Jobs repeatedly said that what mattered most was "the quality of storytelling." He went on to say that he personally was not opposed to sequels "when they're as good or better than the original film, like Toy Story 2."
It's clear his previous opposition to sequels weren't based on dislike for the concept, but purely business because sequels didn't count as films under the old Disney/Pixar deal.

Don't assume because Jobs as control of Disney it will go back to its old handdrawn 2D animated way. Disney wants Pixar because it allows them to release successful commercial films and retain full ownership. Jobs wants Disney because it's existing content and new content generating divsions enable him to tap into the new digital distribution vision he has been developing with the iPod, and will enable him to challenge other media giants.

Remember the proposed ComCast deal? The real reason is similar to that. Content. While it makes sense to import Pixar techniques and talent to oversee the creation of all new Disney films its not the reason Jobs wants a sizable share of Disney.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

wow, you are one negative nancy.... :P :wink:

seriously, John Lasster is in charge of Disney animation.... both Feature and Pixar. Disney can only go up because they're at the bottom. I don't see how this could not be a good thing. Sure there's a financial reason for every aspect of the acquisition, Jobs has his own agenda and so does Iger, theyre suits, but I have complete faith in the new Chief Executives of Disney Animation. Iger and Jobs are smart enough to leave the creative decisions up to the creative people. Eisner didn't know how to do that. He kept messing and messing with all the productions, it was unhealthy. Dick Cook and Lasseter have said they're open to traditional animation. It might not return right away, because it's a process of several years but the chances of it happening are as big as they're ever gonna be.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Let's just hope that Jobs doesn't start fancying himself as an artistic movie maker, a la Eisner.

-Aaron
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

I'm still celebrating this joining of two great companies. Now, when can we get The Incredibles: Part Duex?
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

MadonnasManOne wrote:Now, when can we get The Incredibles: Part Duex?
I'm totally in favor of The Incredibles 2: Edna's New Groove.

Oooh, and if Ellen's Energy Adventure in Epcot has to be changed (and I hope it doesn't), then it should become Edna's Energy Adventure. :twisted:

:edna:

-Aaron
PixarFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PixarFan »

AwallaceUNC wrote:
MadonnasManOne wrote:Now, when can we get The Incredibles: Part Duex?
I'm totally in favor of The Incredibles 2: Edna's New Groove.

Oooh, and if Ellen's Energy Adventure in Epcot has to be changed (and I hope it doesn't), then it should become Edna's Energy Adventure. :twisted:

:edna:

-Aaron
Well, don't count on The Incredibles 2 or any Pixar sequels in the near future. According to this update from Animated News, Toy Story 3 ......has been canceled.
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

PixarFan wrote: Well, don't count on The Incredibles 2 or any Pixar sequels in the near future. According to this update from Animated News, Toy Story 3 ......has been canceled.
Yeah but that wasn't even going to be made by Pixar, it was just some way for Disney to reuse their owned Pixar characters for money and it was a way to try and help bring Pixar back.

Since they now own Pixar, there's is no need for it now, unless Pixar decides on making it of course!
:)
MikeyMouse
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MikeyMouse »

2099net wrote:Knowing Mr Jobs, I know which reason I find most likely.
Really? How well do you know Steve Jobs personally? I've never met the man before, but what I do know about him seems to bode well for Disney. He started a company that was revolutionary for its time, had his ideas stolen (with the thief becoming one of the richest men in the world), was subsequently FIRED by the company, came back when he was asked to save their hides, and made the company into one of the darlings of not only Wall Street, but consumers as well. He also bought a small business for $10 million (Lucas is crying in his cereal right now), and turned it into an animation powerhouse that the "King" of animation simply couldn't ignore. Seriously...name the 5 best animated films, 2D or otherwise, in the past 10 years...wanna guess where the majority were made?

5% may seem like alot, but there are 95% of shares owned by other people, so don't go thinking that Jobs is going to RUN Disney...he's going to sit on the board, he'll have INPUT, but not the final say. If no one else is on board with his ideas...guess what? They don't get done. That being said, if he can help do for Disney what he did for Pixar and Apple, then I'm all for it.
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fflewduur »

I wonder...does the Pixar deal mean that WDW's Mission: Space (presented by Hewlett-Packard) will eventually acquire new sponsorship?