Disney Buys Pixar

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Fflewduur wrote:I wonder...does the Pixar deal mean that WDW's Mission: Space (presented by Hewlett-Packard) will eventually acquire new sponsorship?
I doubt it, unless Apple wants to step up and sponsor it. Disney has worked closely with Apple for a long time in all of its branches, but they haven't ignored other computer companies. For example, there's an IBM presentation inside Innoventions. Granted, Apple had a contract with IBM until recently, but I don't think Disney is forcing anyone out who is a competitor with Apple, especially since they need the sponsorship dollars. That said, Apple may very well make a sponsorship bid for an attraction.

-Aaron
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

I just read the following sentence on darkhorizons.com:

"Jobs, who doubles as chief executive of Apple Computer Inc., will take a seat on Disney's board. He also becomes Disney's largest individual shareholder. Further, several Pixar executives will oversee Disney's animation unit along with their own operations."

I have concerns about 'the Disney way' - you know - all the training the cast members need to have to make sure they convey the magical experience thing (in the parks).

Well, I really hope that future Disney animated movies don't become de-Disney-fied because of this. :( I doubt Pixar executives are going to receive training like recently hired cast-members....but you never know.

I mean, this should be good news....but like any major company reorg, it's sorta scary. I'm probably worried about nothing, or....the inevitable. Disney movies have sort of been losing their magic for me little by little anyway (my last magical movie was Lilo & Stitch, although parts of Chicken Little were sort of magical).
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

More deal stuff from DisneyPixar, direct from Bollywood :-P, <a href="http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsAr ... l">here</a>
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

deathie mouse wrote:More deal stuff from DisneyPixar, direct from Bollywood :-P, <a href="http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsAr ... l">here</a>
Thanks, Deathie Mouse. Interesting read. I like that the Pixar name will remain.

I'll go ahead, and post the article here, so it will not cause visitors to leave Ultimate Disney.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The merger agreement between the Walt Disney Co. and Pixar Animation Studios Inc. rests, in part, on whether Pixar's award-winning creative team agrees to work for the combined company, according to a securities filing made on Thursday.

The agreement also has a provision that would require Pixar to pay $210 million in the event it bails out of the deal, and expands by one member Disney's board of directors to 14, to include Pixar Chief Executive Steve Jobs.

The agreement gives Pixar Vice President John Lasseter, who will become chief creative officer of the Pixar and Disney animation studios, the authority to "green light" films for both studios, although Disney CEO Robert Iger has final approval.

The loss of Lasseter or Pixar President Ed Catmull, who will serve as president of both animation studios, could be a deal-breaking event, the agreement says.

Pixar's "brain trust" of seven directors and creative executives were also listed as company assets, and the agreement requires that a majority of them agree to join the combined company.

Those employees include "Finding Nemo" director Andrew Stanton; "Monsters, Inc." director Pete Docter; "The Incredibles" director Brad Bird; director/writer Bob Peterson; story artist Brenda Chapman; editor Lee Unkrich; and sound designer Gary Rydstrom.

The merger also sets up a "steering committee" whose job is to oversee feature animation at both studios, and to help maintain the Pixar "culture", among other duties.

The committee would consist of Catmull, Lasseter, Jobs, Iger, Walt Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook, and Disney Chief Financial Officer Tom Staggs, and must meet at Pixar headquarters at least one full day every other month.

The agreement protects Pixar's right to eschew employment contracts, and mandates that the studio continue to be called Pixar.

The branding of films made after the merger is finalized will be changed to "Disney Pixar."

The groundbreaking animation company will, however, stay in Emeryville, California, with a sign at its gate that "shall not be altered" from "Pixar," the agreement said.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

YAY! They're staying here with us in California. :)
GhostHost
Gold Classic Collection

Post by GhostHost »

so will the disney feature animation films be released as Disney Pixar?
Great News, Disney is on the turn around now with Eisner gone. Now make some good rides for the parks again. Monsters Inc. ride is horrible for a Disney Ride. Rock and Roller Coaster and Mission Space severly lack compared to The Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain.
Wlecome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion.
I am your host, your ghost host
Is this haunted room actally stretching or is it just your imagination?
Beware of Hitchiking Ghosts
-The Haunted Mansion(DL and MK)
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

Here is a little more, from DVDExclusive.com, on the deal. The part I'm most excited about, I'm highlighting in bold.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.dvdexclusive.com/article.asp?articleID=2680

DISNEY SECURES PIXAR SEQUELS
As biggest animated movies stay in Mouse House
By Jennifer Netherby 1/30/2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With its $7.4 billion acquisition of Pixar Animation Studios, the Walt Disney Co. said it will move forward with sequels to some of its most profitable movies in recent years while keeping the original animation team in place.

Pixar's The Incredibles--distributed by Buena Vista Home Entertainment--was the top-performing movie on home video in 2005, and the company's previous releases of Monsters, Inc. and Finding Nemo broke records on DVD.

"The addition of Pixar significantly enhances Disney animation, which is a critical creative engine for driving growth across our businesses," Disney president and CEO Bob Iger said in a statement.

The deal is an all-stock transaction set to close by early summer. Under terms of the deal, Pixar stockholders will get 2.3 Disney shares for each Pixar share.

The deal makes Pixar chairman and CEO Steve Jobs Disney's largest shareholder. Jobs, also chairman and CEO of Apple Computer, owns 60% of Pixar shares. As part of the deal, he will join Disney's board as a director.

Jobs' powerful new role could help chart a new future course at the studio. Not only has Disney secured the top CGI-production company under its roof, but its biggest shareholder heads a company that has led in the digital video download space at a time when studios are moving their content into the digital arena.

When asked in a conference call following the announcement, Iger and Jobs were vague on what the merger could mean for digital distribution.

"The goal here above all else is to make great animated films; the rest kind of takes care of itself," Iger said.

Before the acquisition, Disney was preparing to make sequels to Pixar films on its own if the two companies parted ways. Iger and Jobs said the original creative team would be brought in to make the sequels.

Pixar president Ed Catmull will continue as president of the combined Pixar and Disney Animation Studios, reporting to Iger and Walt Disney Studios chairman Dick Cook. Pixar executive VP John Lasseter will join the merged company as chief creative officer and will serve as principal creative adviser at Walt Disney Imagineering.

"We don't think there's any reason that a sequel can't be as good or even better than the original," Jobs said. "And we certainly strived for that with Toy Story 2. So we don't see sequels as second-class citizens. We see them as first-class citizens. And as Bob said, there's nobody [who can] try to make a film as good or better than the original than the people involved with the original."

It's unclear if sequels will be theatrical releases or whether the companies also are considering making lower budget sequels following Disney's successful DVD premiere strategy employed for other franchises.

In 2000, BVHE released the only video premiere created under the partnership, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins, which sold an impressive 3 million videocassettes and DVDs during its first week in stores. The release was timed to kick off the Saturday morning cartoon series Disney/Pixar's Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.

BVHE handled distribution, marketing and publicity for Pixar DVD releases under the previous partnership, so not much is expected to change when Pixar becomes a division of Disney.

Disney and Pixar animation units will keep their current operations and remain in their respective locations.

Iger said the stability is important to preserving the Pixar culture, which he said is the reason for the company's film success.

"I am really deeply committed to seeing that Pixar is allowed to exist in the form that it has existed," Iger said.

Disney senior VP and chief financial officer Tom Staggs said the company believes the acquisition will benefit Disney's feature animation division and could maximize the value of any sequels made to Pixar films. Jobs said the companies have already begun to consider which properties deserve sequels.

Before the acquisition, Disney's partnership with Pixar was slated to end with the release of Cars, due in theaters on June 9. Disney and Pixar began their film co-financing and distribution partnership in 1991 with the release of Toy Story. The companies' CGI films have been some of the top animated performers in theaters and on home video.

Disney's first in-house CGI film, Chicken Little, is due on DVD on March 21. The film earned $100 million in theaters, less than half of what Pixar's last film, The Incredibles, earned.

Jobs said that despite negotiating with other studios for distribution deals, in the end because of Pixar and Disney's film library, "nobody could offer us what Disney could offer us."

I sure hope that Pixar will feel their sequels are worthy of going to the theater, first, rather than putting them direct to video.

Other than that, I'm excited that all sequels will be made by the original creative team.
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

The following was included in my weekly Disney Insider E-mail:

Disney and Pixar-Drawn Together

Buzz Lightyear. Woody. Nemo. The Incredibles clan. They’re characters that children dream about and adults remember with a smile. And now, the creative minds behind them are about to become part of the Disney family.

On January 24, 2006, Robert Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company, announced that Disney has agreed to acquire computer animation leader Pixar in a transaction expected to be completed by this summer.

Next summer’s "Cars" will be the first Pixar release as a part of the Disney family, and more films are in the works. Pixar will retain its unique identity - and its adorable desklamp logo - while Pixar President Ed Catmull will serve as president of the new Pixar and Disney animation studios.

The partnership between Pixar and Disney has deep roots, going all the way back to 1991. The first result was 1995’s "Toy Story," which revolutionized the world of computer animation. And ever since, Pixar films have been distributed by The Walt Disney Company, proudly displaying both the Pixar logo "Luxo Jr." and the Disney castle.

What makes this such a natural match? Any parent whose child has declared "To infinity and beyond!" or been hero-struck to shake hands with Mickey Mouse at a Disney theme park knows that Disney and Pixar both understand the magic that makes an animated movie live in the hearts of viewers. It’s a legacy of quality as old as Disney itself - a company that, as Walt himself observed, "was all started by a Mouse."
"Disney is the only company with animation in their DNA," Pixar Chairman and CEO Steve Jobs said on a conference call following the announcement. "They're also the only company that has Bob Iger, who we've grown to like a lot, and trust."

Iger, in turn, has professed himself to be thrilled at how Pixar can add to the Disney legacy. "I have to think Walt Disney would be happy," he said. "We’re reaffirming our commitment to animation quality. I believe he would have had tremendous respect for (Pixar Executive Vice President) John Lasseter - and I think he would have just loved Pixar’s movies!"

Walt Disney’s daughter Diane Disney Miller has expressed her happiness at the news, Iger said. And Disney’s nephew Roy Disney said on Tuesday, January 24, "Animation has always been the heart and soul of The Walt Disney Company, and it is wonderful to see Bob Iger and the company embrace that heritage by bringing the outstanding animation talent of the Pixar team back into the fold. This clearly solidifies the Walt Disney Company's position as the dominant leader in motion picture animation, and we applaud and support Bob Iger's vision."

The elation doesn’t come only from the Disney side. "For many of us at Pixar, it was the magic of Disney that influenced us to pursue our dreams of becoming animators, artists, storytellers, and filmmakers," said Lasseter. "For 20 years we have created our films in the manner inspired by Walt Disney and the great Disney animators - great stories and characters in an environment made richer by technical advances. It is exciting to continue in this tradition with Disney, the studio that started it all."

John Lasseter is no stranger to Disney - as a child, he became entranced by animation and wrote to the Disney Studio so many times and so eagerly that he was invited to come take a tour and meet some of the animators. When he graduated from high school, the CalArts character animation program was a natural fit. There he met many of Disney’s famous animators, and upon graduation he worked at Disney for several years - notably on "The Fox and the Hound" and "Mickey’s Christmas Carol."

From next summer's "Cars" to movies not yet dreamed of, we look forward to seeing what comes next from the creative minds of Pixar and Disney Animation."