More Live-Action Reissues? And Poppins on Blu?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

More Live-Action Reissues? And Poppins on Blu?

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

From a poster at Blu-ray.com

[quote=Dubstar]
"Disney thinks too, that's why they want to have some extra time mastering the bluray from a brand new source print. While they threw out the 40th DVD edition to the masses, they're taking the necessary steps in transferring this film to hidef to look and sound it's best (when it's released sometime Fall 2010)

I'm kind of annoyed that films like Treasure Island, In Search of the Castaways, Pete's Dragon, Escape/Return to Witch Mountain are getting remastered on DVD, but no word if and when a bluray edition will get released as such."[/quote]

We've heard about Poppins before from the home video forum, the Witch Mountain films are already out again and Pete's Dragon has been advertised, but these two? How interesting.

I would love new editions of each if this were true.
mrfivefingers

Re: More Live-Action Reissues? And Poppins on Blu?

Post by mrfivefingers »

Im always a bit careful when it comes to double-dipping, didn't buy the last edition as there wasnt enough new for my liking but i would buy Mary Poppins on blu-ray in a heart beat.

Mary Poppins is one of the companies best family entertaiment, in my opinion and if they can restore the quality up to the standards we've seen on the platinum edition blu-rays its an instant buy.

Im ashamed actually, as a complete and utter disney nut that i haven't actually ever seen Pete's Dragon or the orignal Witch Moutain film, infact when it comes to the live action pictures i really haven't seen that many at all. I'll probably start collecting them when they pop up on blu-ray
Puppetry, Animation and More!
www.frankie-productions.com
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Treasure Island I'm excited for, but not so much In Search of the Castaways. I'm still waiting for a retail release of The Sword and the Rose and The Light in the Forest.

Still, I'm excited if Disney's finally giving some attention to their live-action catalogue.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Escapay wrote:Treasure Island I'm excited for, but not so much In Search of the Castaways.

albert
I'll just be glad Castaways might be in widescreen and have a proper restoration (not some P&S video master) with some bonus features.

I too await the release of The Sword and the Rose.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Wire Hanger wrote:
Escapay wrote:Treasure Island I'm excited for, but not so much In Search of the Castaways.

albert
I'll just be glad Castaways might be in widescreen and have a proper restoration (not some P&S video master) with some bonus features.
Me too, if only for the fans' sake. It's simply not a movie I'm keen on watching. There's something about Hayley Mills's Disney films, I can't seem to really get into or enjoy them (aside from Pollyanna and The Parent Trap). Probably because I grew up with her as Miss Bliss, not as a child actor.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Owlzindabarn
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Owlzindabarn »

Poppins should be done right...there's soooo much that needs to be fixed, IMO. I know during "Jolly Holiday" there's those bunnies that jump around behind Bert...they're transparent!

"Babes in Toyland" is another personal favorite (I can't help it if no one else likes it!" They should offer that in its proper Aspect Ratio (whatever that may be...) Maybe they could include the record "soundtrack' as an extra. The version on that old record was a studio recording with the film's cast, and not a true "soundtrack" recording. It's actually more aesthetically pleasing than the actual soundtrack, if you ask me. In fact, Disney should do that with more of their dvds. I'd love to have Camarata's "Alice in Wonderland" record available on the next Alice dvd...
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

Wasn't Treasure Island remastered for its original DVD release? In Search of the Castaways is DEFINITELY in need of some remastering, and here's hoping that the world will finally see it in the proper (intended) aspect ratio.

Perhaps just as important, here's hoping that these fine Disney classics are given some sort of bonus content (i.e. theatrical trailer, cast reunion featurette, making of feature, and historical commentary).
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

I'd like to see Swiss Family Robinson hit the shelves again, however, aren't they working on a remake? Could be when they re-release it on DVD.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

What's the status on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea on Blu? I thought it was announced somewhere.
About the other live-action films, if there wasn't a HD master made they have to be redone all over again, I think. Unless new prints were made, but I somehow doubt that.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

KubrickFan wrote:About the other live-action films, if there wasn't a HD master made they have to be redone all over again, I think. Unless new prints were made, but I somehow doubt that.
They do indeed and considering how many titles were just rehashes of video masters instead of new prints it's going to take alot of work to make them looks respectable and meet Disney's current Blu-ray standards. See where short term thinking/planning gets you Disney?

I'm sure 20K would look stunning on Blu, but I have not heard of any Blu rumor before, just the officially announced repackaging in December.

Finally, I'm guessing Castaways and Treasure Island will also join the "Walt Disney Family Classics" line that will probably be dominated by adventure films like the old "Walt Disney Studio Classics" VHS line.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Barbossa wrote:
I'd like to see Swiss Family Robinson hit the shelves again, however, aren't they working on a remake? Could be when they re-release it on DVD.
Swiss Family Robinson is still in print. In fact, while browsing my local Best Buy yesterday, I noticed that Disney actually adjusted the Vault Disney package art so that it fits in a normal sized case (not the double-wide previously released) and it now advertises that you can get DMR points with it.

As far as the remake, I'm not sure if it is still in production, but I kind of hope its not. Swiss Family is my favorite live action Disney film and its I think a remake would be so action packed that it would lose all of its charm.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Escapay wrote: Probably because I grew up with her as Miss Bliss,
Who's Miss Bliss? Some sitcom character, or some character I don't know about?

I'm not a huge fan of either Treasure Island or In Search of the Castaways, but I'd definitely consider double-dipping on them if the video is given a bit of remastering and if we could possibly get a decent bonus feature or two.

Even then, I'm surprised that Disney would choose Castaways for a proper rerelease in favor of That Darn Cat!, which I always thought was Hayley's third most popular Disney film, and would have more to add.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Haley Mills played the title character from the 80's sitcom, "Good Morning, Miss Bliss" which was the launch of the Saved By the Bell franchise.
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

So do we have any confirmation that the Treasure Island/In Search of the Castaways double-feature and The Story of Robin Hood dvds to be release on April 26th will be any different/better than their previous releases (Treasure Island and In Search of the Castaways as general retail and The Story of Robin Hood as a DMC exclusive)?

Darby