Platinum Edition Release Size?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
consultant
Limited Issue

Platinum Edition Release Size?

Post by consultant »

Anyone have any ideas approximately have many copies Disney produces of each Platinum Edition Release. I'm sure it varies but is over a million? Under 500,000?
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

In its first 2¾ months, <i>The Lion King</i> sold 7.99 million units on DVD. In the same timeframe, <i>Beauty and the Beast</i> sold 4.3 M units and <i>Snow White</i> sold 4 M DVDs. And in four months, <i>Bambi</i> sold 5.2 M units (DVD + VHS combined). So, well over a million copies of each DVD are produced, but the exact number probably depends on their research and initial sales.
Last edited by Luke on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

I would estimate around five million copies. These are titles that are known to be popular, and there is big interest to see them treated well on DVD.
"Mustard? Don't let's be silly!"
--Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

My DVDs
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Way over 1 million. The Lion King sold in excess of 5 million in 2003 alone.

http://www.dvdinformation.com/News/press/010804.htm

I'm sure somebody else has the actual sales figures.

Edit ^ They do, above. :)
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
MinnieMe
Special Edition

Re: Platinum Edition Release Size?

Post by MinnieMe »

consultant wrote:Anyone have any ideas approximately have many copies Disney produces of each Platinum Edition Release. I'm sure it varies but is over a million? Under 500,000?
Like Luke said- depends on the initial sales and whatnot... really, they'll sell as many as people buy. These aren't limited like Treasures are- they are out for a limited TIME but if people are scooping them off the shelves, they'll be sending out more until they decide to make them OOP.