Walt Disney Treasures Wave 5 DVDs Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Seems I'm not alone with the problems:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum ... id=2881050
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
creid
Gold Classic Collection

Post by creid »

2009net:
If the wrong transfers have been used, it wouldn't be the first time such a mistake was made, but nobody was instantly screaming at Columbia or Warners that they were being "cheap". Sometimes, despite the best of efforts mistakes happen.
I have added to whining about the latest wave, but I was disappointed by the latest quality of Treasures. But don't think Warner Brothers or Columbia would not be savaged for poor product. Look at the debacle of the "uncut" Tom & Jerry with replacement of Mammy Two Shoes. They been savaged on other sites.

And I been meaning to rip into Columbia for the Adventures Of Gerald McBoing Boing. I pre-ordered it on Amazon because the original cartoon is a masterpiece. However the DVD has a total of four short cartoons which total s 29 minutes. What complete morons!!!! (I have canceled my pre-order.) And get me started on what LionsGate is freckin' doing to Laurel and Hardy.

The Walt Disney Treasures have been a very well done series and the animation Treausres have been underpriced in my opinion. If Disney need to up the MSRP to $40.00 to keep it profitable, I would not have a problem with that.
creid
(The babysitter bandit)...“stealing the valuable objects it took a family a lifetime to shop for.” – The Simpsons
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Well, to add to the debate, I notice on my Rarities tin (yes, it came today) it says:

Digitally Mastered Not all technical specifications apply to all elements

Now, at first I thought this could be because some is in black and white, but no, it clearly states "B & W and Color". The disclaimer is a bit of a vague statement though, as everything on the set has to be "Digitally Mastered" and it doesn't state anywhere "remastered".

Oh well, now people will be claiming Disney put this on, becuause they have just started to use non-remastered transfers. The fact is, they probably have in the past, and have had complaints/their knuckles wrapped before on previous waves, thus the disclaimer on these sets.

Regardless of the reason its on (and what it actually means), Disney appear to be aware of their element sourcings on the discs.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

creid wrote:2009net:
If the wrong transfers have been used, it wouldn't be the first time such a mistake was made, but nobody was instantly screaming at Columbia or Warners that they were being "cheap". Sometimes, despite the best of efforts mistakes happen.
I have added to whining about the latest wave, but I was disappointed by the latest quality of Treasures. But don't think Warner Brothers or Columbia would not be savaged for poor product. Look at the debacle of the "uncut" Tom & Jerry with replacement of Mammy Two Shoes. They been savaged on other sites.

And I been meaning to rip into Columbia for the Adventures Of Gerald McBoing Boing. I pre-ordered it on Amazon because the original cartoon is a masterpiece. However the DVD has a total of four short cartoons which total s 29 minutes. What complete morons!!!! (I have canceled my pre-order.) And get me started on what LionsGate is freckin' doing to Laurel and Hardy.

The Walt Disney Treasures have been a very well done series and the animation Treausres have been underpriced in my opinion. If Disney need to up the MSRP to $40.00 to keep it profitable, I would not have a problem with that.
Warners have been savaged on other sites for the Tom and Jerry debarcle, but, to my knowledge, hardly anybody has called them "cheap". They've basically been critisised for pandering to the mom-and-pop PC crowd.

What upsets me the most about these complaints regarding this years Treasures is people, without knowing the facts, automatically assume Disney is outrageously saving money. I say "outrageously" because when it comes down to it, Disney is a business and everything comes down to money, but it doesn't mean every single corner is being cut. I'm mostly objecting to the word "cheap". Still, now Eisner's gone, at least people aren't invoking his name at the drop of a hat. :roll:

Without knowing the facts how can it be stated that Disney are being cheap?

For all we know, Disney probably spent more on the quite long running and certainly less common Rarities set, than they spent on the first Complete Donald volume or Complete Pluto volume. Disney probably aren't going to get as much profit as they did from the higher print run Mickey Mouse In Living Color Vol 2. We just don't know.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Mayhem
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mayhem »

creid wrote:I have added to whining about the latest wave, but I was disappointed by the latest quality of Treasures. But don't think Warner Brothers or Columbia would not be savaged for poor product. Look at the debacle of the "uncut" Tom & Jerry with replacement of Mammy Two Shoes. They been savaged on other sites.
Indeed, which is why picking up the Chinese boxset release is rather good in terms of uncut and unchanged dub in these matters. It's also rather cheap as well... as long as you have a chipped DVD player!

Regarding the residue on the tins, I had the usual rubber gum on one, and a wholly more sticky substance attaching the back label on the other. That required some surgical spirit to remove (as Goo Gone isn't sold here in the UK to my knowledge, otherwise I would have used that).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

Mayhem wrote:Indeed, which is why picking up the Chinese boxset release is rather good in terms of uncut and unchanged dub in these matters. It's also rather cheap as well... as long as you have a chipped DVD player!
Links to purchase and maybe read some reviews please??
Super Leviathan

Post by Super Leviathan »

Warners have been savaged on other sites for the Tom and Jerry debarcle, but, to my knowledge, hardly anybody has called them "cheap". They've basically been critisised for pandering to the mom-and-pop PC crowd.
..because that was precisely what they were doing. The Tom and Jerry set was handled by people who barely even realize that Tom and Jerry cartoons were originally shown in theatres, let alone how they should be presented on DVD, and thuse, they chose to pander, not only to the "mom-and-pop PC crowd", But also the Joe Sixpack at Wal-Mart crowd as well.

But they weren't exactly "Cheap". They were merely, lazy, clueless, imcompetent, deserving to among the people Warner has reportedly planned to lay off, but not really cheap.
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Here's an excellent article from Mice Age I thought was interesting: http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al121905a.htm
Mayhem
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mayhem »

Class316 wrote:Links to purchase and maybe read some reviews please??
Got mine off eBay. Here's a typical release...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOM-AND-JERRY-140 ... dZViewItem

It is official btw... official in China at least. This isn't a bootleg, pirate or anything like that, this is what is available to buy legit in Chinese shops as licensed from MGM way, way back.

Apart from the odd bit of weirdness, in general most cartoons on there are uncut and original with the proper TwoShoes voice. It is hilarious though listening to the Chinese language soundtrack at times :lol:

Links to reviews? Well that's what Google is for? Personally it isn't perfect but it's a damn sight better than anything else I've found on the market, and at the price, it's really not a problem. Picture quality ranges from okay to good, soundtracks are fine, you just get a little Chinese licensing screen in front of each episode, but that's it on the version I have.

All menus of course are in Chinese, but it's not hard to navigate. Default soundtrack is in Chinese, so you just have to switch over using your remote itself once you start playing.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Post by Little Red Henski »

Timon/Pumba fan wrote:Here's an excellent article from Mice Age I thought was interesting: http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al121905a.htm
Since Esiner is gone now I guess people are going to start blaming Leonard Maltin for all their Disney DVD problems. :roll: I'm sure Maltin is the man responsible for all the post wave 2 budget cuts in the Disney Treasure line. I don’t see how attacking the man that got Disney to release shorts like Der Fuehrer’s Face, Mickey’s Mellowdrammer & Teachers are People is going to solve anything. I’m sure Disney is going recall the long OOP Disneyland USA Treasure. It would probably take a year for Disney to remaster the shorts on the Rarities & Donald 2 Treasures. It takes WB a year to remaster those Looney tunes for the Golden Collection. The only cartoon I have a problem with on the 2 Treasures is No Sail which looks like it came off of a $1 Public Domain DVD.

Wb was cheap with the Tom & Jerry problem. They canceled the replacment program because they didn't want to pay for it. WB also uses old TV masters for the Tom & Jerry DVDs. WB did remaster the 1st 6 Tom & Jerry cartoons on the vol.2 collection but were too cheap to remaster the rest.
Sethp
Limited Issue

Post by Sethp »

Why a recall on disneyland usa?

Is there a problem with it that i'm not aware of?

Nevermind, I saw the article at mice-age.

They Didn't mention donalds "says who?" line that kinda sounds like F-you. in the first MMILC-dvd. Now he says "I'm gonna get ya!" with pluto barking in the backgrond, strange because he's not even in the short...
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

Swedish Chef: :)

There were cuts in one (or more?) of the Disneyland shows. They had problems with the rights for some Mouseketeers appearances, apparently. And then there was the addition of those "Don't try this at home, kids" warnings...
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Sethp wrote:Why a recall on disneyland usa?

It's outlined lower down in the article that Timon/Pumbaa Fan posted, as some musical numbers were snipped.

As for the article in question, it reminds me of those of abysmal "consumer watchdog" programmes that are on in the UK like Brassed Off Britain and Watchdog, which are rude, narrow minded and all round whiney, turning issues into entertainment rather than keeping it as information. I wouldn't bother reading such things, as they stir more trouble than they atually prevent.
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

Mayhem wrote:
Class316 wrote:Links to purchase and maybe read some reviews please??
Got mine off eBay. Here's a typical release...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOM-AND-JERRY-140 ... dZViewItem

It is official btw... official in China at least. This isn't a bootleg, pirate or anything like that, this is what is available to buy legit in Chinese shops as licensed from MGM way, way back.

Apart from the odd bit of weirdness, in general most cartoons on there are uncut and original with the proper TwoShoes voice. It is hilarious though listening to the Chinese language soundtrack at times :lol:

Links to reviews? Well that's what Google is for? Personally it isn't perfect but it's a damn sight better than anything else I've found on the market, and at the price, it's really not a problem. Picture quality ranges from okay to good, soundtracks are fine, you just get a little Chinese licensing screen in front of each episode, but that's it on the version I have.

All menus of course are in Chinese, but it's not hard to navigate. Default soundtrack is in Chinese, so you just have to switch over using your remote itself once you start playing.
Are the Chinese subs forced or optional? And why does it say "HDVD"?

So there's some censorship in it?

Also, the miceage article should have mentioned MMILC vol 1 and SS from wave 1.
bmadigan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by bmadigan »

Wonderlicious wrote:
Sethp wrote:Why a recall on disneyland usa?

It's outlined lower down in the article that Timon/Pumbaa Fan posted, as some musical numbers were snipped.

As for the article in question, it reminds me of those of abysmal "consumer watchdog" programmes that are on in the UK like Brassed Off Britain and Watchdog, which are rude, narrow minded and all round whiney, turning issues into entertainment rather than keeping it as information. I wouldn't bother reading such things, as they stir more trouble than they atually prevent.
Am I to understand that there are different versions of the "Disneyland USA" Treasure set, one of which is more heavily edited? I got mine from Costco since I was out of the loop when the first two sets were initially released. Are these the edited versions? Are there replacements available? :?:
Tannerman
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tannerman »

Wave 1 had 3 sets that were "edited for DVD" as far as I know (Davy Crockett was the only untouched release, other than b/w film replacement for missing color). Here are my notes on the edits. Corrections/additions are welcomed :)

Disneyland USA
Dateline Disneyland
There were two notable edits in this DVD release. It has been speculated that both were due to legal issues regarding the Mouseketeers. The first edit is the removal of the Mouseketeers from the beginning parade segment. This takes place at around the 00:21:32 mark in the episode. The original broadcast had these 24 "performing children" making an appearance.

The second, and most notable, edit is the removal of the Mouseketeers' performance of the "Talent Round-Up" song in the Fantasyland section. This takes place roughly around the 01:12:32 mark as Mickey & Minnie run up to the doors of the Fantasyland Theater. Bob Cummings says "They're going into the Mickey Mouse Theatre... A beautiful movie house which will have a continuous performance for children who visit Fantasyland." Inexplicably, a fade to black follows.

The original broadcast featured Bob Cummings describe "a group of talented boys and girls who will be on the Mickey Mouse Club show this fall, October 3rd. And I guarantee you that many a future star will be coming out of this group." Dressed in western attire and along with adult leaders Jimmie Dodd and Roy Williams, they sing their Friday "Talent Round-Up" song capped off by their famous roll call.

Disneyland After Dark
During the performances by the Royal Tahitian dancers in Adventureland, there are two instances where text-based warnings have been added to the picture. The first is during the Fire Knife Dance near the 00:17:08 mark in the episode. The caption states "Professional Stunt Person - Do Not Attempt" and stays on the screen for about 10 seconds.

The second visual warning appears near the 00:19:08 time stamp, before the Firewalk segment. Again, the tag of "Professional Stunt Person - Do Not Attempt" is used, lasting roughly 8 seconds.

Disneyland 10th Anniversary Show
When the DVD version of the 10th Anniversary Show is compared to previous broadcast airings, it appears that the Enchanted Tiki Room sequence has been shortened. The original sequence ran a total of 10:46, but the DVD version clocks in at only 4:51, meaning that 5:55 has been removed. The removals include many complete songs from the show.

BROADCAST VERSION
1. Introduction by Walt - 0:53
2. Behind the Scenes Tour by Jose - 1:50
3. Introduction/Dialogue - 0:55
4. "The Tiki Tiki Tiki Room" - 0:38
5. Enchanted Fountain/"Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing" - 2:40
6. "Aloha to You" - 1:30
7. "Hawaiian War Chant" - 1:50
8. Dialogue/Finale - 0:30
TOTAL SEGMENT TIME: 10:46

DVD VERSION
1. Introduction by Walt - 0:53 (00:35:40 - 00:36:33)
2. Behind the Scenes Tour by Jose - 1:50 (00:36:34 - 00:38:24)
3. Introduction/Dialogue - 0:55 (00:38:25 - 00:39:20)
4. "The Tiki Tiki Tiki Room" - 0:38 (00:39:21 - 00:39:59)
5. Storm/Enchanted Fountain/Finale - 0:35 (00:40:00 - 00:40:35)
TOTAL SEGMENT TIME: 4:51

Mickey Mouse in Living Color
Clock Cleaners
A conservative media watchdog group successfully got this short pulled from Wal-Mart in the mid-90's after accusing Donald Duck of swearing. According to published storyboards of this sequence, Donald is saying, "Sez Who?", not the F-word as the accusation stated. Even though this line has existed for over 60 years without complaint, Disney nevertheless replaced the dialogue with audio from another short. The obvious edit takes place around the 4:01 mark. Donald now says "I'll get ya" while a dog is heard barking in the background. No dog (other than Goofy) appears in this short! Another edit takes place shortly after this scene, with Donald's line "snake in the grass" being replaced by indiscernible babbling.

Silly Symphonies
Three Little Pigs
There were four edited versions of the Three Little Pigs. These included (1) the original uncensored short, (2) the short censored with the animation changed regarding the Big Bad Wolf's Jewish caricature mask, (3) the short censored with the original animation intact but the Big Bad Wolf's dialogue changed from a Jewish to non-Jewish tone, and (4) the short censored with both the animation changed and the soundtrack changed. This final version is featured on the DVD.
Walt Disney Treasures - Custom Disney DVD Inserts
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Although I love top notch restoration of classic disney animation, a little grain can make for some nice nostalgia too, I don't see the big problem here. They're still making these dvd's, right? Let's be happy. This is an awesome series.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

Nothing wrong with grain. That's not what this is about, though.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

If it is more than about grain, then it is "NIT-PICKING"!!!!

Let's just be happy with what we have and enjoy the show.

:roll:
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Pluto Region1
Special Edition

Post by Pluto Region1 »

Loomis wrote:Seems I'm not alone with the problems:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum ... id=2881050
Well Loomis after reading those posts at the other forum I am really worried now. I have 2 copies of Rarities, both in shrink wrap - one I bought from Tower Records, and the other from Amazon... one of them was going to be a gift for my sister later next year..... So I really don't want to open both up just to play them to see if they are defective. BTW, is it only the Rarities disks or do any of the other of the Wave have this problem? I dont think our player here is very high-end...

We need to find out if a "recall" is in order from Disney. Has anyone else here had problems getting the Rarities or other discs in Wave 5 to work? :roll:
creid wrote:The Walt Disney Treasures have been a very well done series and the animation Treausres have been underpriced in my opinion. If Disney need to up the MSRP to $40.00 to keep it profitable, I would not have a problem with that.
Well they probably had some marketing studies done before they set out to do the series and the prices have gotten lower than when the first series started, correct? I bet their marketing division said they needed to price them at a certain level in order to make whatever quota in sales they set for this series.... and therefore perhaps they should have come over to this site and asked us if we'd be willing to pay more.... Of course then you get into a situation which is how much more "quality" do we get for say $10 more per tin, etc.... Disney is not going to negotiate with buyers over something like this.
Timon/Pumba fan wrote:Here's an excellent article from Mice Age I thought was interesting: http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al121905a.htm
I'm sorry but this I find really offensive!

First of all, he is really blaming Maltin for the quality and to blame Maltin is preposterous. He is thinking if he can shame Maltin, then maybe Maltin can twist Disney's arm, but is this the right thing to do to Leonard Maltin? I don't have a problem with asking Disney what happened with the quality on these tins, but holding Maltin responsible because he is the spokesman/narrator is ridiculous!

What is even more egregious is that he has used email communications from THIS WEBSITE for this post. Granted I'm new here and I don't know who Al Lutz of Mice.com is. But I am assuming that Al Lutz is not TM2-Megatron, which is who Maltin wrote the email to. There are 2 issues here - first TM2 needs to get permission from Maltin to post his response here at UD (I assumed TM2 did that). Second, if Mice.com wants to re-post the response, they need to secure permission from Leonard Maltin himself. If the okay was given then please excuse my outrage.

If no permission was granted to re-post the email at Mice.com, then it is really an outrage. This guy has no right to go and "lift" a personal communication posted here and put it up on his website for propaganda purposes. This is bad publicity for this website! If I was Maltin and I saw my email posted now over at this other website, I would be pretty pissed off at UD.

He's using us (UD Forum/website) to beat Maltin over the head. it makes the website and all of us look bad.... :x
Pluto Region1, Disney fan in training