Walt Disney Treasures Wave 5 DVDs Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
boris

Post by boris »

STASHONE wrote:
MK Sharp wrote: Is the version on the Fantasia 2000 DVD 16:9 enhanced at all? It doesn't look it, but there's so much black in 'scope pictures anyway that it's difficult to tell.

Of course, if we want to be pedantic, the 4:3 version of TWP&B was reshot specifically for the narrower frame width; so instead of being a simple crop of the Cinemascope version, it's actually got different shot compositions. We should be demanding it as an extra.... or perhaps not. :D
I believe it was released in it's scope ratio on the Fantasia DVD.
I don't think it was 16:9 enhanced there. I only want it 16:9 enhanced so I can view in better quality on my widescreen set rather than zooming in (which always makes the picture lose quality).
I am Invincible!
ohmahaaha
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ohmahaaha »

My thoughts on all I've read above ....

I am definitely getting Donald vol. II, Rarities and Legendary Heroes. I haven't quite made up my mind yet about Spin & Marty, but I'm sort of leaning away from it - we'll see.

Anyhow, "Bellboy Donald" and "Duck Pimples" - I keep thinking that this was either omission via typo or else they'll be snuck in as Easter Eggs. I've never seen either of these that I can recollect; any of you that HAVE seen them, is there any objectional content that would prevent them from being included? If not, then I optimistically expect they'll be on the set.

"It's Tough To Be A Bird" - here I will drop a major suggestion to any powers that be reading this: I think this short would make a GREAT bonus feature on a "True Life Adventures" set.

"The Complete Disneyland" - I don't know. While there are several shows that I would love to see, I don't think the complete series would make a lot of sense, simply because it looks like they've lost a lot of the color film elements to the ages. I suspect there'd be a lot of complaints from those unhappy with the so-called "double dipping" since this would duplicate a lot of already released material.

"Figaro/Cleo/Frankie" and "Chip N Dale": time for another suggestion for the powers that be. I think these would make great bonus features on future "Complete Pluto" and "Chronological Donald" sets respectively.

To sum up, I think Mr. Maltin stated earlier this year that he got a kind of green light for 4 more waves, so that means hopefully that there are at least 3 more waves of Treasures to come. So, if your favorite hasn't been included yet, don't give up yet!! I am really looking forward to "True Life Adventures" and "Silly Symphonies vol. 2" sets that have been rumored and/or discussed in the past. Thank you Leonard Maltin, thank you Disney, and thank you Luke!
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

So the Donald set has all the shorts from 1942-1946 ?

Also, I wonder why they couldn't have included all the Alice shorts that aren't lost :?
ramday

Post by ramday »

The Practical Pig is a A Silly Symphony and Susie, the Little Blue Couple can be found on the Love Bug if you want it now.
sXe
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

Class316 wrote:So the Donald set has all the shorts from 1942-1946 ?

Also, I wonder why they couldn't have included all the Alice shorts that aren't lost :?
Well, at this point two of the DD shorts appear to be missing, but we'll hope that's going to change.

I guess eight or so Alice shorts will do. I tend to think they're rather boring - although they're somewhat historically interesting.
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Post by Little Red Henski »

I know Disney doesn't have prints of all the surviving Alice shorts in there vault but they have a lot more than just 7. :roll: This seems to be designed to be only a sampling of the Alice series. They included 1 short of every Alice. Alice only makes a cameo appearance in "Alice the Whaler" a Mickey Mouse prototype is the real star of that short.
Last edited by Little Red Henski on Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tony »

[quote="ohmahaaha"] "Figaro/Cleo/Frankie" and "Chip N Dale": time for another suggestion for the powers that be. I think these would make great bonus features on future "Complete Pluto" and "Chronological Donald" sets respectively.

I suspect we will be getting the remaining "Chip N Dale" in 2006 on a second Classic Cartoon Favorites and another with "Figaro/Cleo/Frankie".
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MK Sharp »

Little Red Henski wrote:I know Disney doesn't have prints of all the surviving Alice shorts in there vault but they have a lot more than just 7. :roll: This seems to be designed to be only a sampling of the Alice series.
Just an observation, and I make nothing of it other than that is is a slightly interesting observation:
From their complete omission from this Rarities set, one assumes that Disney can't or won't release any Oswald films. Excluding them, there's slightly too many surviving Disney silent films to fit on a double-DVD. But having released 7 Alices on the Rarities treasure, that leaves enough left over that would fit snugly on a putative hypothetical double DVD set in the future...
"I hope we never lose sight of one thing - that this was all started by a little girl and a cat. And a rabbit."
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

MK - That is because Alice is in the private domain because no one renewed the copyrights. Universal has the copyrights for Oswald so Disney can not legally distribute Oswald cartoons including the ones owned by Disney.
TheBigBadWolf

There must be a Volume 2 Rarities coming out...

Post by TheBigBadWolf »

I see the following miscellaneous shorts not listed, enough for another volume:

Figaro and Cleo
Reason and Emotion (if they continue the trend of double-dipping)
Education for Death (if they continue the trend of double-dipping)
Bath Day
Figaro and Frankie
Chicken in the Rough
Susie, the Little Blue Coupe
Football (Now and Then)
The Lone Chipmunks
Casey Bats Again
The Story of Anyburg U.S.A.
Freewayphobia No. 1
Goofy's Freeway Trouble (Freewayphobia No. 2)
Winnie Pooh and the Honey Tree
Scrooge McDuck and Money
Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day

possibly Donald in Mathmagic Land will be held over on this.

And then since he included some post-Walt's Death Mickey Mouse cartoons on the Mickey Mouse in Color Vol. 2 (Runaway Brain, Mickey's Christmas Carol and Prince and the Pauper) -- probably the followings as well:
It's Tough to be a Bird
Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too
The Small One
Vincent
Fun with Mr. Future
Winnie the Pooh and a Day for Eeyore
Pedal to the Metal
Off His Rockers
Redux Riding Hood
Three Little Pigs (from 1997)
Goofy's Extreme Sports: Paracycling
Goofy's Extreme Sports: Skating the Half Pipe

As well as more Alice shorts, and perhaps even some Oswalds. And maybe even the 3 Roger Rabbit shorts and the Timon & Pumba: Stand By Me short to make it complete.

So I think a second volume is assured.

I expect we will also see the 1999 short Pluto Gets the Paper: Spaceship on the second volume of Pluto
And the 1999 Donald's Dynamite: Opera Box on the Fourth Volume of Donald.
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Post by Little Red Henski »

Warner Brothers included clips from a Disney Oswald short Trolley Troubles on the 1st Looney Tunes Gold Collection.
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

I am super excited about the Disney Rarities set, and the bonus features on the already expected Donald Duck vol. 2 look awesome.

Still, I seem to be waiting in vain for the True Life Adventures set that was promised long ago. I want my Perri!!! :( :( :(
vezner

Post by vezner »

I'll definately be getting the Rarities and DD v2 sets. I don't much care about the other two. *shrugs*

I personally am also really looking forward to the True life Adventures set and I would also love to see a Zorro set. :)
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MK Sharp »

Mr. Toad wrote:MK - That is because Alice is in the private domain because no one renewed the copyrights. Universal has the copyrights for Oswald so Disney can not legally distribute Oswald cartoons including the ones owned by Disney.
*Public* domain, I think you'll find... and many of the 1924/25 Alices were never copyrighted in the first place.

There has been speculation that the 1927 Oswalds are also public domain, but this may not in fact be the case (particularly if the surviving prints are the 1931/2 re-issues). Hence my qualification of "can't" in "Disney can't or won't release any Oswalds".

Of course, in a perfect world, Universal would pull their finger out and start releasing their b/w shorts on DVD. But as we know this world is far from perfect.

Believe it or not, I do actually know my stuff. :wink:
"I hope we never lose sight of one thing - that this was all started by a little girl and a cat. And a rabbit."
Mungle

Post by Mungle »

ohmahaaha wrote:Anyhow, "Bellboy Donald" and "Duck Pimples" - I keep thinking that this was either omission via typo or else they'll be snuck in as Easter Eggs. I've never seen either of these that I can recollect; any of you that HAVE seen them, is there any objectional content that would prevent them from being included?
No, at least not in "Bellboy Donald". And besides, there were many cartoons on other sets like "Mickey Mouse B/W, Vol. 1" which had kind of a "crucial content" (smoking/drinking Mickey, racial stuff). The only difference to the other cartoons was that they got an additional introduction by Leonard Maltin for a better understanding ("Of course these things would be unacceptable today...but it was another time...fans should have the opportunity to see them in their original version...).

I also have to say that this sounds a little strange with Donald Duck Vol. 2. Two cartoons missing and instead one cartoon which was already on Vol. 1. Actually, I'm trying to stay optimistically but nevertheless I would prefer to know for sure what's going on there.

Greetings
Mungle
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MK Sharp »

It may be just coincidence, but if you put "Contrary Condor" at the top of the second column on the press release (where it should be, chronologically, instead of at the bottom), then "Bellboy Donald" would have been on the same line as "Duck Pimples" (after "Sky Trooper" and "Donald's Crime" respectively). Like this:

Interesting, no? Perhaps someone has accidentally deleted a line somewhere. I can't imagine that the people in charge of compiling the DVDs could actually miss off two of the shorts.

I can't make similar sense of the Rarities listing, though, which is clearly not in chronological order despite what the heading says. It looks like the bottom 5 or 6 lines of the two columns have been transposed. It's all a bit of a mess, really.

(Thinks to self: Perhaps I should go and find something productive to do... :D )
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

Interesting line deletion theory.

But if false, it would suck that Disney screwed up another release :x

Maybe someone can ask Maltin?
jimmyraypayne
Limited Issue

Post by jimmyraypayne »

I'm so excited for Humphrey the Bear! I can't wait.
blacksanta

Post by blacksanta »

Anyhow, "Bellboy Donald" and "Duck Pimples" - I keep thinking that this was either omission via typo or else they'll be snuck in as Easter Eggs. I've never seen either of these that I can recollect; any of you that HAVE seen them, is there any objectional content that would prevent them from being included? If not, then I optimistically expect they'll be on the set.

Duck Pimples is one of my favorites and I will be really p*ss*d if they left it off. It is a really wild, WB-style cartoon. Donald is reading a murder mystery and a whole gaggle of stereotypical film-noir types leap out of the book and tangle Donald up in the plot. It is funny, zany as hell, and a bit eerie all at once and was a real peak for the Donald series IMHO. I have been looking forward to seeing it again for a long time and I would be horrified if it was skipped. And due to the completist nature of the series and myself I'll be real bummed if anything is left out on these cartoon treasues.
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

So no one emailed Maltin?