Walt Disney Treasures Wave 5 DVDs Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Tony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tony »

Well.... "Donald in Mathmagicland" has not been included on the Rarities.. Don't cry too much about this.. I assure you that you are not missing out on anything fantastic !

I guess it will be on the 4th (and presumably final) Chronological Donald treasure OR an 'Educational' treasure along with "It's tough to be a bird" and "Freewayphobia" #'s 1 and 2.

I guess the debate over contents for wave 6 will now heat up :)
edsouth

Post by edsouth »

This early on in the Treasures collection, it is kind of odd that Elfego Bay/Swamp Fox made the cut. If it was WAVE 11 or something like that, that would make more sense!

A complete "Disneyland" series DVD line would be awesome! They could be putting those out till the year 2067!!

If I recall correctly, there are only 3 Chip n' Dale cartoons in their own series...the rest are Donald or other series! A Treasures title of their own would be very redundant!

As for me, I'm going to pick up all of them....as always! Swamp Fox is pretty good.......I'm sure Elfego Bay is too!

I'd like to see a Treasures title of True Life Adventure Featurettes, WDW TV Specials, and People and Places!
matthewgb
Limited Issue

Post by matthewgb »

How about this. When they have totally exhausted the themed Treasures they will come out with the last wave consisting of "Catch-All" Volumes one thru four of all the stuff that was either ommitted, cropped, forgotten, or just missed for whatever reason. I.E. the travesties on Disneyland USA and whatever else could be thought of. What say ye.
Another Possible title is "OOps 1-4 :wink:
Edge
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Edge »

Personally i am still waiting on true life adventures.

I remember sitting down one sunday afternoon with my father and watching the desert one. My father was never really a laugher but i can remember the scene where the cactus falls over with the bobcat on it and watching him find that to be incredibly amusing.

As for collecting all of them, i just cant do that with any hobby anymore. I spent so much time when i was younger collecting things to "complete" a set that i ended up with no space to actually get the things i really wanted.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

I am thinking htis may be where I get off the completists wagon. Spin and Marty, Swamp Fox just do not do it for me.
Tolhurst
Limited Issue

Post by Tolhurst »

I enjoyed the Davy Crokett quite a bit, so I"ll get the Legendary heroes treasure in hopes this it is similar in quality and style.

Spin and Marty-- I have no idea about, and will probably blindly buy.

Donald and Rarities? not much guesswork that I'll be picking up those!

I am curious to know how many of each set will be....
Mouseketodd
Gold Classic Collection

Treasures Wave 5

Post by Mouseketodd »

I intend to buy all of these.

Donald V2 sounds great -- especially the "Day in the life...." Donald is my favorite character.

Rarities sounds like it'll be my favorite of the wave.

Elfego Baca/Swamp Fox: I've never seen these, but my mom liked the Fox shows. I never cared to get Davy Crockett until later (I had never seen his shows either.), then I bought the Treasure earlier this yr. And, I'm a Disney live action enthusiast (not much of a revelation to many of you at UD!).

Spin and Marty is one I'll be glad to get. Now, I don't remember ANYTHING about Spin and Marty serials from when I watched Club repeats in the '70s, but I'm ready to support anything Disney releases of the Mickey Mouse Club. I'm glad they're including the compete Club episodes that contained this series.

And, YESSSSSSSSSSSS! I'd love to get a collection of the Disneyland series (and it went by various names....). Since Walt showed movies (Alice, Peter Pan, you name it), it would be unfathomable that EVERYTHING would show up in such a collection (Read Leonard Maltin's list of Wonderful World of Color/Disney/etc. in his book "Disney Films" (?)). If nothing else, what I'd like is a collection of Walt's personal introductions on his TV shows. I'm glad when the platinum, vaults, and other DVD editions include his TV promotions of the movies we enjoy in release today.

The thing is.... the answer to this kind of comprehensive collection might only be possible with BlueRay technology (Read: more stuff stuffed on each disk). That goes for complete episode products for Zorro, Swamp Fax, Elfego Baca, The Mickey Mouse Club, etc., too.

But I won't argue if Disney Home Video decides to publish these things before the emerging technology!!
My handmade paperweights, including Disney subjects -- some contain viewable movie cells!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/tmhofherr
Currently listed: Ludwig Von Drake, Annette, Zorro, Star Wars, the Wicked Witch, Classic Tron, and more!
Edge
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Edge »

It funny, i've just never been a fan of a lot of the older live action stuff.

To me they just dont age as well as the cartoons. They seem a little over the top for my taste.

YET despite that I have to tell you that for whatever reason i loved the tomorrowland set.

I seem have a love for the "Boring".
James
Anniversary Edition

Post by James »

I'm really looking forward to the Disney Rarities set. Hopefully they'll make a second set for more Alice!
-James
voiceofreason

Casey and Susie

Post by voiceofreason »

lkl
Last edited by voiceofreason on Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Post by Little Red Henski »

We are talking about the sequel Cassey Bats Again. This short is included as an extra on the Melody Time DVD but I don't feel like buying a censored DVD just so I can own this short.
STASHONE
Anniversary Edition

Post by STASHONE »

Why doesn't someone email Mr. Maltin and ask whether the 4 missing shorts from both the DD and Rarities set are just a typo?
boris

Post by boris »

I'm curious as to whether Toot, Whistle, Plunk, Boom will be 16:9 enhanced? Still, I plan on getting all four!
I am Invincible!
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MK Sharp »

boris wrote:I'm curious as to whether Toot, Whistle, Plunk, Boom will be 16:9 enhanced?
Is the version on the Fantasia 2000 DVD 16:9 enhanced at all? It doesn't look it, but there's so much black in 'scope pictures anyway that it's difficult to tell.

Of course, if we want to be pedantic, the 4:3 version of TWP&B was reshot specifically for the narrower frame width; so instead of being a simple crop of the Cinemascope version, it's actually got different shot compositions. We should be demanding it as an extra.... or perhaps not. :D
"I hope we never lose sight of one thing - that this was all started by a little girl and a cat. And a rabbit."
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

I won't get the live action sets, but I will get the animated ones! I am looking forward to the cartoons on the Rarities the most, followed by the extras on the Donald set.
stlewis75
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stlewis75 »

It's great to finally know what exactly is going to be on the Disney Rarities set... some of what I've been waiting for from them. Only two Humphrey the Bear cartoons, but it's better than nothing. And I LOVE Pigs is Pigs... those rapidly mating guinea pigs are awesome.

I'm getting two of the four sets... probably the same two that a lot of you are leaning toward. Thanks for the news, Luke.
STASHONE
Anniversary Edition

Post by STASHONE »

MK Sharp wrote:
boris wrote:I'm curious as to whether Toot, Whistle, Plunk, Boom will be 16:9 enhanced?
Is the version on the Fantasia 2000 DVD 16:9 enhanced at all? It doesn't look it, but there's so much black in 'scope pictures anyway that it's difficult to tell.

Of course, if we want to be pedantic, the 4:3 version of TWP&B was reshot specifically for the narrower frame width; so instead of being a simple crop of the Cinemascope version, it's actually got different shot compositions. We should be demanding it as an extra.... or perhaps not. :D
I believe it was released in it's scope ratio on the Fantasia DVD.
STASHONE
Anniversary Edition

Post by STASHONE »

stlewis75 wrote:Only two Humphrey the Bear cartoons, but it's better than nothing.

There were only ever two Humphrey cartoons produced.

The other three are Donald Duck Shorts and an earlier Humphrey prototype character was featured in a Goofy starring short.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Just noticed that Figaro and Cleo and Figaro and Frankie and Bath Day could have been included here. Again fingers crossed they are bonud features or if not that they will be featured on a future release!
Last edited by ichabod on Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1981 »

This is what I miss from the Donald Duck Treasure:
- Bellboy Donald
- Duck Pimples

This is what I miss from the Rarities Volume:
- Figaro and Cleo
- Bath Day (Figaro short)
- Figaro and Frankie
And what about 'The Practical Pig' and 'Susie, the Little Blue Couple'
What about Chip and Dale?

Overall, I already ordered the complete Treasures set.
Let's start speculating about Wave 6, with another Donald Duck treasure, a second Silly Symphonies volume and at least another Pluto volume.