Walt Disney Treasures Wave 5 DVDs Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ohmahaaha
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ohmahaaha »

Class316 wrote:So no one emailed Maltin?
I don't think that's such a good idea ... he probably gets enough emails as it is. And even if we did, who's to say he'd have time to reply before the sets are on the shelves? We'll find out soon enough.
streetsofgold

Post by streetsofgold »

I remember "the little house". A rather whimsical, but surprisenly not corny cartoon.
"if u do just as ur told, these are streets of gold"

Better recognise sucker
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

ohmahaaha wrote:
Class316 wrote:So no one emailed Maltin?
I don't think that's such a good idea ... he probably gets enough emails as it is. And even if we did, who's to say he'd have time to reply before the sets are on the shelves? We'll find out soon enough.
I think it has been done before - I wouldn't quite share the opinion that it's a bad idea.
jebsdad
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jebsdad »

Sunset Girl wrote:Still, I seem to be waiting in vain for the True Life Adventures set that was promised long ago. I want my Perri!!!
I also would love to see Perri released as a DVD!!! However, as I understand it, Perri was never planned as a content on the True Life Adventures set. The contents of the True Life Adventures set that was canceled was to be the short featurettes (Seal Island, Bear Country, Beaver Valley, etc.).

Technically, Perri is not a True-Life Adventure film. Disney named it a "True-Life Fantasy".

Now that Roy Disney has been "welcomed" back into the Disney Company "family", I expect that True-Life Adventures DVD set to be in the Wave 6 of the Treasures. Since the even-numbered Wave treasures have only been 3 sets, I would expect a Silly Symphony Volume 2 and a Pluto Volume 2 to be the other two sets. I expect the Donald Duck Volume 3 to not appear until Wave 7 (every other year).

Some other thoughts on Wave 5:

I am happy with the Donald Duck Volume 2 DVD set. The TV show extra "A Day In The Life Of Donald Duck" is very funny and a very special show. I love the scene where the cartoon Donald argues with his live-action voice actor Clarence "Ducky" Nash and Nash gets in the last "Quack"!!! There are several fun Donald cartoons from this 1942-46 period. I understand Disney double-dipping the World War II shorts, but I would have preferred an extra year of shorts instead.

I do believe the two cartoons (Bellboyp Donald and Duck Pimples) missing from the Press Release list is just a mistake of omitting the titles from the list. There have been mistakes in the cartoon listing of Press Releases for previous Treasures. There is no reason to leave these cartoons off the set. Even if the mistake was made to accidentally leave these cartoons out of the set, they should show up on the next set.

I am thrilled with the Disney Rarities set. I have seen all the Alice Comedies on this set, but I'm not a fan of Disney's silent cartoons. I would have preferred some of the late 1960s and 1970s to present Special shorts instead. I own all the shorts on this set, but I much look forward to the quality DVD picture and sound quality for these shorts. Many of these Special shorts are among my favorite cartoons, Disney or non-Disney.

I also look forward to the Spin and Marty set. I own the serial from when the Disney Channel showed the Mickey Mouse Club back in the 1980s. I edited the episodes together to delete duplicate scenes and repeating opening and closing credits. So my copy is 4 1/2 hours. If each entire episode is included on the DVD set, the serial is probably closer to 5 hours long. I have watched this serial over the years and I still enjoy it. I have watched it in one sitting and I have watched it one or two episodes at a time. I think the DVD would work well whichever way I decide to watch it.

I'm not that interested in the Elgego Baca / Swamp Fox set. I saw those shows when they were shown on the Disney Channel and I just could not get interested in them. At this point, I don't know if I'll buy them anyway from the "completist" point of view. The extras don't interest me any. The only scenes of interest at all for me are Walt Disney's host appearances on the shows. At one time, I had most of the Walt Disney TV anthology shows on tape and I have always regretted not making tape(s) of just Walt's host appearances on these shows.
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

jebsdad wrote:I'm not that interested in the Elgego Baca / Swamp Fox set. I saw those shows when they were shown on the Disney Channel and I just could not get interested in them. At this point, I don't know if I'll buy them anyway from the "completist" point of view. The extras don't interest me any. The only scenes of interest at all for me are Walt Disney's host appearances on the shows. At one time, I had most of the Walt Disney TV anthology shows on tape and I have always regretted not making tape(s) of just Walt's host appearances on these shows.
the "completist" in me is what motivated me to get Disneyland USA and Tomorrowland and to a lesser degree the Mickey Mouse Club and Behind the Scenes. Now it seems to be Spin and Marty and Elgego Baca / Swamp Fox. But I'm having second thoughts about the "completist" in me because in the future I'm sure we're going to get some "lamer" stuff :(

I wish they released a complete Elgego Baca or complete Swamp Fox instead of the way it's being done. Would have been a nice 4 disc set each.
Last edited by Class316 on Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

I am with Class - this is where I get off the completists wagon. Only two this year for me., but hey those two are great.
bd3

More Disney treasures! Good cartoons but lousy restoration!

Post by bd3 »

Well Well Well More of the "Disney Treasures"! I'm happy that they are releasing "Rareities" on DVD, but I have mixed fealings on the Donald Duck set, they could of just finished off the collection be releasing all of the duck's shorts but I guess they cant fit every short on DVD. Secondly they are double dipping wartime cartoons as well as "The Volunteer Worker" but that is understandable as it is done out of necessitty to complete Donalds vast library of cartoons. I bought them the other day and was disappointed in the lousy restoration. Disney what is wrong with you?

In Conclusion, we have another ok set of "Disney Treasures" now available, but in my opinion "Swamp Fox" and "Spin and Marty" I could do without!
Last edited by bd3 on Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Re: YAHOO!!! More Disney treasures!

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

bd3 wrote:but I have mixed fealings on the Donald Duck set, they could of just finished off the collection be releasing all of the duck's shorts but I guess they cant fit every short on DVD.
I don't quite follow - I guess we'll have them all eventually.
Spottedfeather
Gold Classic Collection

In The Bag On Disney Rarities DVD

Post by Spottedfeather »

I've been waiting for twenty some years for a copy of In The Bag and was glad to see that it will be included on the Disney Rarities dvd that's coming out. The question I have is will the parts with Smokey the Bear be in it, as they were once cut out ? I hope so. I love Smokey.
Think about this. Once bread becomes toast, you can't make it back into bread.
jebsdad
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jebsdad »

The Humphrey the Bear cartoon "In The Bag" should be uncensored in the Disney Rarities set. The "Smokey the Bear" scene was only censored for a short period of time. Later showings on the Disney Channel and VHS video release were uncensored.
bd3

"In the Bag" not out

Post by bd3 »

Yes! Disney is finally putting this short out of "The Bag" and putting it "in the" "Disney Rareitties" set.

Now here are the lyrics to the song.

First you stick a rag put it in the bag (Bump Bump) than you bend you back put it in the sack (Bump Bump) thats the way its done its a lot of fun (Bump Bump) cuttin capers puttin papers in the bag.
mvealf
Gold Classic Collection

Re: In The Bag On Disney Rarities DVD

Post by mvealf »

Spottedfeather wrote:I've been waiting for twenty some years for a copy of In The Bag and was glad to see that it will be included on the Disney Rarities dvd that's coming out. The question I have is will the parts with Smokey the Bear be in it, as they were once cut out ? I hope so. I love Smokey.
The Japanese laserdisc has this short with Smokey the Bear, and letterboxed. It is one of the few Cinemascope Disney shorts.
Visit the home of my Disney Japanese laserdiscs
http://www.geocities.com/disney_laserdiscs
musicradio77
Anniversary Edition

Post by musicradio77 »

I have several episodes of "Elfego Baca", "Swamp Fox" and others I taped off of Disney Channel a few years back when they were showing "Walt Disney Presents" as part of "Vault Disney". There were some episodes missing in my collection since I didn't tape half of the chapters. Will see what happens.
Professor Von Drake

Post by Professor Von Drake »

TM2-Megatron wrote:So, Donald V2 will have his war shorts after all, even Der Fuehrer’s Face.

Sounds like a pretty good wave, though I'm only likely to get The Chronological Donald Volume 2 and Disney Rarities.
Make sure you look close at the opening to "Donald Gets Drafted". Under the titles is Donald's draft notice with his full name.
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

I'm getting them all!

My favourites would be the Donald Duck and the Rarities tins but I'm interested in the other two as well.
It looks like a good lot even if I'm disappointed in the Donald set slightly but that's just due to my impatience for more Donald. Actually maybe the same could be said for the Rarities set... good lot of cartoons but I desire more! I've been so interested in catching up with some of the more "rare" shorts since there are some I haven't seen in a long time or ever.
<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=orestes" target="_blank">my wonderful dvds.</a>
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

I just pre-order all four Treasures at Amazon!!!!
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
matthewgb
Limited Issue

Post by matthewgb »

Just received this message from Mr. Maltin:

Hi... rest assured that both DUCK PIMPLES and BELLBOY DONALD will be part of the upcoming DVD set. The error was in the index and the press release. cheers, Leonard Maltin
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

Ah great news that those will bein the set for sure. Thanks matthewgb.
<a href="http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=orestes" target="_blank">my wonderful dvds.</a>
Mungle

Post by Mungle »

matthewgb wrote:Just received this message from Mr. Maltin:

Hi... rest assured that both DUCK PIMPLES and BELLBOY DONALD will be part of the upcoming DVD set. The error was in the index and the press release. cheers, Leonard Maltin
No joke? :o

In this case, the thread can finally be closed, or not? :wink:

Greetz
Mungle
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

I got the same message from him.