DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:28 am 
Limited Edition

I am writing a project that mentions THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, but I've just hit a bit of a snag and wondered if everyone here could give their opinion, or maybe facts that I don't know.

Namely, it's the exact punctuation of Jack's world -- a minor quibble, I know, but I want the book to be as accurate as possible.

From what I remember, everything I've previously read about the movie refer to it as "Halloweentown," and that's what I used when I was mentioning it in my work; simmilarly, I also used "Christmastown." But I just picked up the Nightmare DVD (finally!), and the back cover and production notes inside the booklet both say "Halloween Town." So does the UD review.

Which one is correct for this film? I know that for the three Disney Channel movies, "Halloweentown" is one word, but what about NIGHTMARE? I'm not concerned with those.

I had always naturally taken it as a compound word, but I'm wondering about it; I swear I saw that somewhere, but I'm not quite sure where or when. And I want my work to be as accurate and authentic as possible.

What should I do?

All help is greatly appriciated. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:49 am 
Gold Collection

Generally, in case like this I consider the subtitles to be the "official" way to spell the words in question.

Now you might have a problem if they are spelled two different ways in the movie :cry:

Try that to see how it works!

It's a Supercalifragilistic hullabaloo!

<a href=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=gaysnappercarr>Look at my obsession!</a>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:34 am 
Limited Edition

I always spell it like "Halloween Town" and "Christmas Town"... whether or not that's the official way is beyond me, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:31 am 
Limited Edition

I popped in my DVD of Nightmare to see, and in the scene where Jack sings "What's This?", he reads the town sign. I put in on subtitles and it said "Christmas Town" as two separate words. The sign in the movie has it as two words also. If it has it as two words in the actual movie, I'm pretty sure that proves it is two words and not a compound word. I assume it's the same with "Halloween Town".

I hope I worded that all right. Can everyone understand that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:40 am 
Special Edition

Sorry, I can't help ya with the grammar, i don't own the movie, myself, but you may be interested in incorporating this font in your project: "PS Bluegum Forest"
It's pretty much a replica of the font used in the title. It could make your project look a little more characteristic! (but maybe don't use it depending on how formal the writeup is). Anyway you can get it here, just scroll down the page for the font mentioned above, install it and enjoy!
-ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:23 pm 
Special Edition

To me, it sounds like it should be Halloweentown. Just like Disneyworld or Disneyland, not Disney World or Disney Land.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:52 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

mvealf wrote:
To me, it sounds like it should be Halloweentown. Just like Disneyworld or Disneyland, not Disney World or Disney Land.

Actually it's more appropriate to say Disney World, not Disneyworld because it's original name is Walt Disney World(WDW)!

As for the original question, I'm pretty sure it's Halloween Town!

Last edited by Timon/Pumbaa fan on Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:23 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks all. I think I will change it to two seperate words for the time being, and then bring it up again with my editor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:07 pm 
Suspended

mvealf wrote:

I know Disney World has always been 2 words, but isn't Disney Land usually Disneyland? I know that if you could read subtitles on all the people who answered that, "what are you gonna do now?" question with, "I'm going to...", the captions would read "Disneyland" as one word. And everywhere I see Disney Land in print, in looks like 1 word, Disneyland. Even when it's not in all-capitals.