Big Hero 6

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Re: Big Hero 6

Post by Lady Cluck »

Big Hero 6 was such a beautiful study of grief, that really hit home despite being in a fantastical world with supeheroes. Well deserved!
LADY Image CLUCK
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Really disappointed that Big Hero 6 won the Oscar. IMO, I thought it was good, nothing spectacular (minus Baymax). This proves that the Academy doesn't take animation seriously and it's the studios name, not the art of the movie in general.
But Dragons is getting a 3 feature in 2018 while Disney has no plans for BH6 in the future. Funny though when Dragons 3 comes out in 2018, that's when Disney may release Giants.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Really disappointed that Big Hero 6 won the Oscar. IMO, I thought it was good, nothing spectacular (minus Baymax). This proves that the Academy doesn't take animation seriously and it's the studios name, not the art of the movie in general.
Well, we already knew this was the case. Awards shows mostly ride trends, and "Disney is back" with the media thanks to Frozen. This is why those "this is the bestselling animated film of all time--oh, except when counting inflation" articles I was talking about a few pages back are used, to help edge trends along, foster positive perception, and incur good will for the brand name.

I don't really mind so much that Disney gets an undeserved Oscar considering how many times Dreamworks, Pixar, and other companies have won when they didn't deserve to in the past.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

Target Exclusive: Blu-ray/DVD/Digital HD Steelbook Packaging

Walmart Exclusive: Blu-ray/DVD/Digital HD + Bonus DVD

Best Buy Exclusive: Blu-ray/DVD/Digital HD Lenticular Packaging
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

DisneyEra wrote:I dropped to the floor when BH6 was announced! This makes up for the thievery that Tangled/Wreck-It Ralph endured in 2010/12! I'm still shocked this beat HttYD2! :o :D
Umm... I think you forget that Frozen's win also made up for their thieveries. ;)
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

DisneyJedi wrote:
DisneyEra wrote:I dropped to the floor when BH6 was announced! This makes up for the thievery that Tangled/Wreck-It Ralph endured in 2010/12! I'm still shocked this beat HttYD2! :o :D
Umm... I think you forget that Frozen's win also made up for their thieveries. ;)
Frozen's win wasn't nearly as shocking as BH6. Unlike BH6 Frozen won the Golden Globe, swept the Annies, & won the BAFTA. Even when Brave won over Wreck It Ralph, it to won the GG & the BAFTA first. To see BH6 lose all those awards then win the Oscar :shock:
justcuttinhair
Gold Classic Collection

Post by justcuttinhair »

I have to say..seeing this and "Feast" both win...was a great victory for the Disney studios. They are really beginning another Renaissance age I believe. One good thing about current "management" is that story development and originality are important! BH6 is quite entertaining and represents some trademark Disney features such as enjoyable characters, original story approach...and the animation is well done.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

I think Big Hero 6 winning this award is a throw the dog a bone for them.
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Post by Little Red Henski »

So Disney felt they had to Americanize an American comic book? LOL! rotfl Can't believe this got nominated over the The Book of Life or the Lego movie.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Well I got Wal-Mart's Exclusive with the bonus disc, and the bonus disc contains not only modern science that looks like it's from Big Hero 6, but 3 exclusive deleted scenes.

The deleted scenes' titles are

Fred's Angels

Meet Baymax

Meet Yokai

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Big-Hero-6-Bl ... n/42120323
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

disneyboy20022 wrote:Well I got Wal-Mart's Exclusive with the bonus disc, and the bonus disc contains not only modern science that looks like it's from Big Hero 6, but 3 exclusive deleted scenes.

Fred's Angels

Meet Baymax

Meet Yokai

Unfortunately, my local Wal-Mart wants $27.95 for it, seems a bit high. The website says $24.95.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Now I've fully seen it with the right HD, Big Hero 6 was spectacular!
What makes the movie so good is the emotions. They really hit you emotionally and you feel sorry for the characters when they screw up or lose someone, even the villain! You understand everyone. Tadashi & Baymax are the highlights. I’m still not crazy about the side characters, besides Fred. They had their moments, but they needed so much development.

I still think HTTYD 2 should have won the Oscars, but Big Hero 6 deserved it too. (Not as much...but barely)
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

http://deadline.com/2015/03/focus-fifty ... 201383936/

In its final international debut, Disney’s Big Hero 6 lived up to its name, posting the biggest opening weekend ever for a Disney or Pixar animated release in China. The $14.8M haul in the Middle Kingdom was 68.5% of the full $21.6M frame for Hiro and Baymax in 25 overseas markets. The bow bested Frozen‘s start last year which was $14M over five days in a crowded 2014 Lunar New Year field. In summer 2013, Monsters University posted a three-day $12.7M bow. Big Hero 6 opened Saturday, slotting in after this year’s New Year week (which itself set a record for box office from February 19-24 period of 1.73B yuan – $276.4M). Frozen ultimately made about $48M in the Middle Kingdom and while it’s early to make a call, the fact that BH6 matched that film’s opening in two days means it could overtake.

Elsewhere, Big Hero 6 this frame held on to the No. 1 slot amongst animated films in Japan for the 9th consecutive frame; and is still the No. 2 Western release. The international cume is now $351.3M and the global total is $572.18M.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Finally watched it last night. Loved it. Like how they included a "Maker Fair" and the maker movement. Liked the Stan Lee cameo. 8) One of these days I have to give Frozen another go, but I fell asleep during its first viewing.
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Post by Little Red Henski »

Japanese get a better cover again plus a free keychain.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

It must be a cultural thing, but in Japan they always promote emotion over action.
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

I saw BH6 in cinema yesterday afternoon with my husband. Maybe it's not an instant classic, but a worthy addition to the Disney canon this movie certainly is. Hiro is a character of of of flesh and blood, very likable in his vulnerability. The robot Baymax I find adorable, but who doesn't? First time ever I felt a bit sorry for the villain. I like it that this movie is so much more than just another sci-fi super-hero adventure, but deals with serious themes like having to suffer a great loss, and how to carry on. Wel done, Disney!

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Just watched it earlier this week. Tadashi's death... Perhaps one of the most violent Disney deaths up there with Mufasa and Bambi's mom, I think. I liked it. Not a favorite of mine so far. I think I've liked Wreck it Ralph and Winnie the Pooh the best of Disney's most recent stuff. Loved Feast. Hope to see Disney use that style more.

Did feel the film screams for a sequel. Not sure whether that's because I've been conditioned to expect sequels to superhero movies or whether it legitimately earned one... I think I'd like to spend more time with the team. I'm not sure if there's any story left, but surely there's something in the source material.

Also, how didn't I know James Cromwell was in this?
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Quick question!

There's a very short scene in the film (during the First Flight sequence) in which we see a young boy in a car eyes wide open as Baymax and Hiro have just rocketed over his parents' car. Something tells me that for him the animators reused a model and rig from Meet the Robinsons. This is just my gut feeling. What do you guys think? It's certainly not out of the question.

This is the boy.

Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

disneyboy20022 wrote:Well I got Wal-Mart's Exclusive with the bonus disc, and the bonus disc contains not only modern science that looks like it's from Big Hero 6, but 3 exclusive deleted scenes.

Fred's Angels

Meet Baymax

Meet Yokai

Man, now you tell me!

Also, big news; SEQUEL IN THE WORKS!!!!!:
http://www.nerdreport.com/2015/03/11/bi ... the-works/