June 30, 2009 -
Chris Evans, Dakota Fanning, and Camilla Belle play young people with psychic powers in Push, our newest review subject. Future visions, telekinesis, and memory fabrication are just some of the gifts employed while government agents try to track down an American fugitive in Hong Kong in this sci-fi/action flick. Out next Tuesday, Summit's DVD includes an audio commentary with Evans and Fanning, deleted scenes, and a featurette. Read on...
Get the scoop on all the big releases on this last day of June right here.
June 29, 2009 - In its sixth season, "Reno 911!" drops three cast members and adds two, then proceeds as it has in the past, parodying "COPS" with a largely-improvised format. Our newest DVD review covers the uncensored two-disc, 15-episode set that streets July 7th, one day before the season finale debuts on Comedy Central. Among the year's guest stars are Jonah Hill, Rainn Wilson, George Lopez, Patton Oswalt, and Jane Lynch. Bonus features include 8 cast audio commentaries, an extended sequence, shorts, and a downloadable digital copy of everything on the set. Full review.
June 26, 2009 - Knowing stars Nicolas Cage as an M.I.T. astrophysics professor who figures out that a sheet of numbers buried for 50 years in a time capsule predicts global disasters down to date, location, and number of casualties. How will he use this information? You'll have to check out this PG-13 sci-fi/action thriller from director Alex Proyas (Dark City, I, Robot) when it comes to DVD and Blu-ray on July 7th from Summit Entertainment. Or you could read our advance review.
June 25, 2009 - Aaron Wallace looks at next week's other Disney DVD, Princess Protection Program. The newest Disney Channel Original Movie stars Selena Gomez ("Wizards of Waverly Place") and Demi Lovato ("Sonny with a Chance") as mismatched teenagers (one ordinary, one royalty) who bond over high school drama. The movie debuts Friday night, but you'll need to wait for Tuesday for the extended cut, music video, and two featurettes of the Royal B.F.F. Extended Edition DVD. Read on.
June 24, 2009 - Kelvin Cedeno brings us an early review of next week's Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience Blu-ray/DVD Combo. Disney's latest tween-friendly pop music sensation takes the stage in this underperforming 2009 documentary. The 3-disc set serves up an extended cut of the film in both 2-D and 3-D (red/blue glasses included), the extended DVD, 2 bonus songs, a 15-minute behind-the-scenes featurette with Nick, Joe, and Kevin, and a digital copy. Read the full review.
Following one of the more griped about Best Picture fields in recent history, the Academy Awards of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced today that the number of nominees for its top prize will double, from 5 to 10, beginning with next year's ceremony for 2009 films. Ten films competed for the Best Picture Oscar from 1932 to 1943, but in the sixty-five years since, there have been just five nominees annually. The decision is expected to considerably improve the odds of blockbusters, comedies, and animated films, all of which have been severely underrepresented in the category, especially of late. From now on, any Best Picture snub is going to carry more of a sting, while acclaimed, well-attended works, like those from Pixar Animation Studios, are much more likely to be recognized.
Cover art has been posted for September Disney DVDs A Muppets Christmas: Letters from Santa, "Jonas": Volume 1 - Rockin' the House, and Wizards on Deck with Hannah Montana. Click here to view it all.
June 23, 2009 - Our newest DVD review covers Mr. Troop Mom. George Lopez stars in and executive-produces this comedy about a widowed lawyer who fills in as troop mother at his daughter's all-girl camping weekend. Having debuted on Nickelodeon last Friday, the movie hit stores today on DVD from Warner. Extras include a gag reel, deleted scenes, and a number of featurettes including one on cameo-making Naked Brothers Band. Read the full review.
Do check out our June 23rd schedule for detailed information on today's new DVDs and Blu-rays.
Disney has just announced two Disney Channel DVDs for release on September 22nd. Wielding seven episodes (including two not yet aired on TV) and the exclusive set prank feature "You've Just Been JoBro'd" is "Jonas": Rockin' the House, Volume 1 of the Jonas Brothers' sitcom. It arrives alongside Wizards on Deck with Hannah Montana, the third Disney Channel crossover event of the past three years. Besides the three episodes that allow the casts of "Wizards of Waverly Place", "Suite Life on Deck", and "Hannah Montana" to mingle, the DVD will include a behind-the-scenes feature and some bloopers. Each disc carries a $19.99 list price and a fullscreen/stereo feature presentation.
June 20, 2009 - Our newest DVD review looks at Inkheart. This PG-rated fantasy tells of a man (Brendan Fraser) who can conjure literary characters and occurrences simply by reading aloud. He and his 12-year-old daughter (Eliza Haley Bennett) are called to set things right in a rare book that has claimed their wife/mother. Paul Bettany, Helen Mirren, Jim Broadbent, and Andy Serkis co-star in this adaptation of Cornelia Funke's bestselling young adult novel. After a disappointing performance in theaters, the movie comes to DVD next week, and in a New Line/Warner first, a Blu-ray/DVD combo, most of whose extras are exclusive. Read our full review.
June 17, 2009 - Isla Fisher stars in Confessions of a Shopaholic, Touchstone's PG-rated comedy adapted from two of Sophie Kinsella's popular books. Fisher plays a New York journalist who gains notice for a financial advice column while personally drowning in credit card debt. The movie co-stars Hugh Dancy, John Goodman, Joan Cusack, Kristin Scott Thomas, and an assortment of other familiar actors. Our review covers the 2-Disc DVD.
Earth, the film that launched the Disneynature banner in the United States, will come to DVD ($29.99 SRP) and a Blu-ray/DVD combo ($39.99 SRP) on September 1st. The former will include making-of featurette "Earth Diaries", while the latter will add BD-exclusive Filmmaker annotations. You can check out the cover art, which references the only higher-grossing nature documentary, right here.
June 16, 2009 - We've updated our Toy Story 3 preview with the first official image Disney has released for this much-anticipated sequel, which opens a year from Thursday. Take a look and scroll back up for our new previews of September animation documentaries Waking Sleeping Beauty and Walt & El Grupo.
Another new release day is upon us. Check our June 16th Schedule for an overview of all today's important DVD and Blu-rays.
New cover artwork has been posted for Disney Princess Enchanted Tales: Follow Your Dreams - Special Edition with bonus disc. Click here to view it.
June 12, 2009 - Don't miss the latest additions to our DVDizzy.com DVD & Blu-ray Release Schedule, which include dates and details for 17 Again, I Love You, Man, Hannah Montana: The Movie, Delgo, and The Wizard of Oz: 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition. More...
June 11, 2009 - Kelvin Cedeno brings us an advance review of "Transformers": The Complete First Season. Shout! Factory revisits the original 1984 animated series in this 25th Anniversary 3-disc set that's in stores next week. The Autobots and Decepticons' battles on present-day Earth comprise the bulk of these sixteen episodes, which are accompanied by an origins featurette, vintage commercials and a PSA, and a printable script. Full review...
June 10, 2009 - Details have been released on September 8th's Bedknobs and Broomsticks: Enchanted Musical Edition. The slipcovered single disc will boast a digitally restored and remastered transfer of the 139-minute cut, the deleted song "A Step in the Right Direction", featurettes "The Wizards of Special Effects" (new) and "Music Magic: The Sherman Brothers" (old), and more to be announced. Preorder from Amazon.com.
May 14, 2009 - Amazon.com has placed this year's Walt Disney Treasures up for pre-order: "Zorro": The Complete First Season and "Zorro": The Complete Second Season. They're currently selling at 30% off list price, but per the e-tailer's price guarantee, should they come down, you'll get them even cheaper.
Recent Disney DVD Reviews:
• Disney Educational Productions DVD Roundup - We look at six recent releases intended for classroom use. Three volumes of The Science of Disney Imagineering reveal the principles at work in various Disneyland and Disney World attractions. Two all-new Timon and Pumbaa shorts find The Lion King's sidekicks learning to stay safe and be good to our planet. And a Safety Smart Science with Bill Nye the Science Guy disc delivers humor and knowledge about the dangerous but exploitable properties of fire. Each DVD includes a DVD-ROM Educator's Guide document with suggested questions, activities, and worksheets.
• Morning Light - A pet project of Roy E. Disney and wife Leslie DeMeuse, this 2008 documentary follows the assembly of a team of dedicated young amateurs competing in the offshore TransPac sailing race. Following a limited theatrical release, the film comes to DVD with an ESPN special prequel and a documentary hosted by Jason Earles of "Hannah Montana."
Recent Non-Disney DVD Reviews:
• Friday the 13th (2009): Killer Cut - Part sequel, part remake, this relaunches the 29-year-old horror film series that associates hockey-masked killer Jason and endangered young people with the unlucky day. This installment follows a wild group of vacationers into the Camp Crystal Lake area, where -- spoiler warning! -- they're terrorized one-by-one by a silent slasher. This R-rated edition extends the film's theatrical cut by 9 minutes and adds deleted/alternate scenes and the featurette "The Rebirth of Jason Voorhees."
• Revolutionary Road - Titanic stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet reunite to play a married couple living in 1950s suburban America. On DVD, this domestic drama includes an audio commentary by director Sam Mendes (American Beauty) and screenwriter Justin Haythe, five deleted scenes, and a fine half-hour making-of featurette.
• "Army Wives": The Complete Second Season - The Lifetime drama series about spouses of soldiers improves upon most of its Season 1 shortcomings. ABC's 5-disc set holds 19 episodes, 3 audio commentaries, deleted scenes, bloopers, and a quartet of featurettes.
• "The Jetsons": Season 2, Volume 1 - Twenty-two years after leaving primetime, Hanna-Barbera Animation's futuristic twist on the family sitcom returned in syndication exactly as viewers remembered the much-rerun cartoon. Warner's 3-disc set holds 21 episodes from the 1985 season plus a brand new featurette interviewing cast, crew, and historians. Our review includes an episode video clip.
• He's Just Not That Into You - Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Connelly, Scarlett Johansson, Ginnifer Goodwin, Drew Barrymore, Justin Long, Ben Affleck, Kevin Conolly, and Bradley Cooper play Baltimore adults whose love lives and lackthereof intertwine. This all-star ensemble romantic comedy was adapted from a self-help book inspired by a "Sex and the City" episode.
• Star Trek: Motion Picture Trilogy - Paramount's recent 3-disc DVD set holds the second, third, and fourth films spawned from the sci-fi television series. Providing the full Genesis narrative arc, these 1980s movies are considered the best of the original cast's big screen adventures. The collection holds all-new bonus features including audio commentaries, Starfleet Academy briefings, and 9 assorted featurettes.
To subscribe to UltimateDisney.com's free newsletter and gain access to past issues, send an e-mail to UltimateDisneyfirstname.lastname@example.org or visit here.
E-mail UltimateDisney.com: tsdvd at yahoo.com
PAST NEWS UPDATES
June 1-15 Archives
May 16-31 Archives
May 1-15 Archives